A request for the Blue Devils

living up to your reputation :-)

I know. ###### East Coast bias from a guy with like 8 BD tshirts in his dresser

Not necessarily better Jeff... But if you are to look through this thread from top to bottom... you are the first to link hate and BD in this thread... Oh and one of the only ones to refute posts to the contrary! Me thinks perhaps someone is a bit disengenous with his symantics! :devil:

yeah thats me

:rolleyes:

Photographer Jim, my apologies. I was not clear enough in what I meant by the "4th or place 5th finish" comment (and I'm giving you a "green plus" for the way you presented this).

You are absolutely right that there is no reason why a good old fasion 80s-90s BD jazz show could not do well today. I'm just personally saying that if taking it back DID happen to result in a 4th or 5th place finish, I would take it. I did not mean that it absolutely would be the result. It might not be. As mentioned already, they did Channel One (quite a bit of it too) in 02 and still placed in the top 2. Obviously 10 years ago but still very much within a progressive time period.

I hope that makes more sense than the way my original comment was worded. Thanks for bringing that up. You gave me a chance to clarify. :smile:

No apology needed, and appreciate your clarification.

Boy, this topic seems to have gotten a bit testy since I was here two days ago!

Anyway, clarifying my take on things, I really don't think an 80s-90s BD show could do all that well today even assuming that the visual components of the show were in line with the current trends and expectations. (I do, BTW, agree with Brasso on this one - visual is the trump card now-a-days). However, I do think BD and staff have the talent an creativity to take that musical genre, that type of slick, driving jazz, and tweak it in ways that could be fresh and current. It would probably have to be somewhat of a departure from that "old school" (?) sound, but I believe they might be able to do so in a way that would be satisfying to those who so loved that older sound (me amongst them) but still be innovative enough musically to be pushing today's competitive limits. Given the changes in DC since that 80-90s era (instrumentation, electronics, etc), I see no reason why they couldn't spin that style jazz into something both interesting, entertaining and highly competitive.

Then again, I'm a visual artist, so what do I know? :tongue:

I would like to have a civil discussion about this but when you say i have a lack of respect for the kids, kinda ruins the whole, civil, part of it. I respect the kids of the activity because how much faith they put into their staff's and organizations, which you should try doing.

You don't even know how to have a civil discussion. As for "respecting the kids"? Yeah, your profile pic really shows "respect" for that Madison kid, doesn't it? You aren't fooling anyone. Oh and I never suggested that they not trust their staff either. Once again, putting words in my mouth.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

I know. ###### East Coast bias from a guy with like 8 BD tshirts in his dresser

T shirts that don't fit anymore.....don't count! :tongue:

• Like 1

Good luck!

Exactly.....I stopped waiting for a response after ten years....

Thought they may have had a ten year backlog of letters to respond to... :tongue:

Do guys use dressers?

Do guys call their toy motor bike : " big bird " ?

Edited by BRASSO

Exactly.....I stopped waiting for a response after ten years....

Thought they may have had a ten year backlog of letters to respond to... :tongue:

Dear Triple Forte,

Sorry for the delay in response. I recently found your note among some others under my ring box. I’d been meaning to read it for several years, but kept getting sidetracked with “new” ideas and arrangements.

Concerning your request to return to “hard hitting jazz shows”, as fortune would have it I am currently working on an “Oldies Show” which I’m sure you will love. It brings back all the old BD favorites (I won’t list here…as they are trotted out pretty regularly in DCP reminiscing). The visuals (although I know they’re not important) will revisit other wonderful memories such as….complete musical phrases, the phone, writing with a pen, TV on a TV, batons, garage bands, pleats, maps and marching xylophones.

Again, my most sincere apology for the delay, next time I’ll put your note under my Ott’s….oh, that won’t work either!

Keep those good ideas coming!

WD

• Like 3

You don't even know how to have a civil discussion. As for "respecting the kids"? Yeah, your profile pic really shows "respect" for that Madison kid, doesn't it? You aren't fooling anyone. Oh and I never suggested that they not trust their staff either. Once again, putting words in my mouth.

I actually know the guy in said picture and he thinks its hilarious, and I guess you have never heard of a Meme before...or a sense of humor either. its ok to have fun you know, its just marching band :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1