Are guards too good?

not with the amount of drops I see

its inherent and even expected to a point in the judging system because of the high demand and complexity of the design..i know one would say then why do it...I guess its about pushing the perverbial envelope

there was just as many drops BITD with alot less responsibilities..The problem is some designers today dont write to the ability of the guard but over wright just to be cool or to keep up with the jones's so to speak. Young..( and a few older) are natorious for doing this.

Edited by GUARDLING

its inherent and even expected to a point in the judging system because of the high demand and complexity of the design..i know one would say then why do it...I guess its about pushing the perverbial envelope

there was just as many drops BITD with alot less responsibilities..The problem is some designers today dont write to the ability of the guard but over wright just to be cool or to keep up with the jones's so to speak. Young..( and a few older) are natorious for doing this.

I agree. I'm not one to say this guard was better than that, and I understand weather...but finals, in a dome...you shouldn't drop or have a bad recovery

I agree. I'm not one to say this guard was better than that, and I understand weather...but finals, in a dome...you shouldn't drop or have a bad recovery

drops dont have alot to do with weather or being in a dome.I understand most think drops and weather is the sole reason so being inside should be easier , and to a point it is. GOOD guard people know how to adjust to wind.( unless it crazy windy ) If there is a drop its usually the complexity and difficulty of the work and a lapse of concentration,..not weather...good guards also usually know that the recovery is more important than the drop also.

To answer the original post..NO guards arent getting to good. The human factor is in there so the bar will always rise but there will always be flaws.

Edited by GUARDLING

As I was sitting in Indy last year, watching guard after guard toss and catch, I was thinking that guard is less interesting for me now. If you've seen something often enough, it loses its effect. The guards are so good that I'm shocked if there's a drop. Do you think guards need to change to a different artistic direction?

No the level of guards and their respective "books" are miles apart..

Guards are not getting too good, the shows may just be over your head. Understanding the triad or how the sheets are written for adjudication can help you, the viewer appreciate the the differences is style and difficulty. Just because a toss is clean in the air, does not make a good guard.

Triad - Design triad = body (dance and other movement of the performers' bodies), staging/drill (movement across and utilization of the floor space), and equipment work (flag, rifle, sabre, etc). Effect triad = intellectual (range/quality of design, i.e. how "hard" or "cool" the work is), aesthetic (holds the viewer's attention through time), emotional (event planned for the specific reason of getting a response of the viewer).

In this 60 sec short clip, (released to the public by DCI.)

opening rifle work looks great from the stands because it spins and moves well.

A closer look and the rifles release the gun about eight times included behind the back, over the head, and side to side.. the final toss is released "Back Field" and the performer steps under the toss to catch the weapon "Front field" adding elements of difficulty and range making that TOSS more exciting.

When viewing guards, you have to look at the totality of the guard book and design.

Guards are NOT too good. they are doing more and doing it cleaner. Just look and understand.

Edited by Cop
  • Like 3

Why do they even call it guard anymore? :blink:

Colorguard: A Rifle and a Saber guard the Flag

These weapons are still used today.

I wish Cadets 83 and or BD 88, SCV 89 would have included weapons. I think guards are all back on track once again.

Edited by Cop
  • Like 1

Colorguard: A Rifle and a Saber guard the Flag

These weapons are still used today.

I wish Cadets 83 and or BD 88, SCV 89 would have included weapons. I think guards are all back on track once again.

sometimes with todays themes certain weapons would look silly IMO...like PR last year..as much as I like seeing rifles it certainly would have looked different..I think no guns was a good move for Pr last year as the sabre is much lighter looking to go with the juliet theme

As I was sitting in Indy last year, watching guard after guard toss and catch, I was thinking that guard is less interesting for me now. If you've seen something often enough, it loses its effect. The guards are so good that I'm shocked if there's a drop. Do you think guards need to change to a different artistic direction?

I don't think you can say guards are too "good" .... but I would rather see the return of the huge percussion battery than a guard, any day.

Of course, as a drummer ... I'm biased. :cool:

• Like 2

sometimes with todays themes certain weapons would look silly IMO...like PR last year..as much as I like seeing rifles it certainly would have looked different..I think no guns was a good move for Pr last year as the sabre is much lighter looking to go with the juliet theme

As long as they have a weapon on the field I'm happy.. And PR using 20 sabers for opener was Outstanding.

But if they went rifle saber flag.. of course it would be ok