If you could resurrect any corps...

Unless we are referring to scores NOTHING on DCP is factual.

What about someone stating ( for example ) the colors of the new flags in a review. Unless the observer was color blind, their observation would be " factual ", no ?.... or the number of Tubas the Corps put out on the field, etc... or what Corps won DCI in 1975, etc... or who taught brass line of Bridgemen in 1977 or Carolina Crown in 2011, etc and so forth. It seems to me there are LOTS of things that a person could post on DCP beyond just the scores, and it could be considered " factual ". So your comment that " NOTHING on DCP is factual ( beyond the "scores" ) is ironically not " factual "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Blue Stars was a completely different situation. They had a serious, practical and realistic plan with goals and measured progress year on year. They got kids to STAY... that point right there should tell you everything you need to know about what they were doing. Kids stayed!

VK is a completely different story.

It isn't mean... the kids are great... just very young in comparison... and don't seem to be sticking around.

My point is that they have stalled. That is a factual statement.

"Completely different situation"? "Kids STAYED"? Seriously? You really believe that? The last time Blue Stars made finals prior to their return to finals in 2008 was 1979. HOW MANY YEARS went by in between. LETS COUNT THEM....... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28,....29......29 YEARS!!!!..........................between the Blue Stars last year of making finals and their return to finals in 2008.

Are you REALLY telling me that you truly believe that in ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL those years in between, the Blue Stars NEVER had any problem retaining membership? Are you REALLY telling me that the Blue Stars never had a "stalling point" in all of those (count em again)....29 YEARS in between?

I DOUBT IT! The fact is, the Blue Stars struggled just as hard to retain membership as VK is currently (or maybe even worse at times)....BUT.....people believed enough in the Blue Stars to KEEP THE NAME ALIVE and and press on (despite obvious "stalling") and finally when the time was right, The Blue Stars returned to what we now know as a GREAT GREAT Finalist drum corps.

Don't tell me the situation in those years between 1979 and 2008 were "completely different". For one, you have NO way of knowing that because you were not there for all of those years and TWO....the OBVIOUS should tell you that they DID stall and struggle to retain members or they would not have gone from a once full 128 corps to an "A-60 corps".....leading them BACK to the big kids playground where they are now. You are WRONG....and UN"factual" in your comparison.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, an over-flowing bucket o' cash to sink solely into drum corps... hmmmm.

First I'd find six communities within my state that wanted to immediately create a parade corps with the additional intention of building a competitive level corps in three years. Not necessarily DCI level stuff, but a regular within-state weekend event type competition. Hire experienced staff for all and another unit for promotions. Have fun, lots of fun.

Have these groups travel the state doing parades and other events, slowly building a small circuit, hopefully growing and sparking interest, drumming up support and culminating in competitions held within those same original communities.

If a former corps wanted to be resurrected; say Fond du Lac wanted Marquis back in, or Appleton wanted Americanos back on parade, it would be done - or all could be done new. All would be based in the modern DC format, but all activities would be more locally focused.

One day, other cities would jump on board with more new corps, expanding things but still retain a midwest-based circuit.

Eventually, when shows have gotten off the ground I'd occasionally bring in some World Class corps for special appearances (and good paydays). I'd also drop some cash into Midwest corps already competing (all classes).

Ah well, needs a lot of work but it's a good dream anyway. :satisfied:

"Completely different situation"? "Kids STAYED"? Seriously? You really believe that? The last time Blue Stars made finals prior to their return to finals in 2008 was 1979. HOW MANY YEARS went by in between. LETS COUNT THEM....... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28,....29......29 YEARS!!!!..........................between the Blue Stars last year of making finals and their return to finals in 2008.

Are you REALLY telling me that you truly believe that in ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL those years in between, the Blue Stars NEVER had any problem retaining membership? Are you REALLY telling me that the Blue Stars never had a "stalling point" in all of those (count em again)....29 YEARS in between?

I DOUBT IT! The fact is, the Blue Stars struggled just as hard to retain membership as VK is currently (or maybe even worse at times)....BUT.....people believed enough in the Blue Stars to KEEP THE NAME ALIVE and and press on (despite obvious "stalling") and finally when the time was right, The Blue Stars returned to what we now know as a GREAT GREAT Finalist drum corps.

Don't tell me the situation in those years between 1979 and 2008 were "completely different". For one, you have NO way of knowing that because you were not there for all of those years and TWO....the OBVIOUS should tell you that they DID stall and struggle to retain members or they would not have gone from a once full 128 corps to an "A-60 corps".....leading them BACK to the big kids playground where they are now. You are WRONG....and UN"factual" in your comparison.

I am not talking about the 29 in between. I am talking about the last few years as they were moving up from open class to world class. If you know what was going on with the organization then, you will know that there was a clear change and a clear plan put in place... and guys put together that could execute this.

I know the story of this straight from their board and management team, from volunteering for them... from seeing and working their raw financial data, etc. Their story and VK are not the same. VK has not put the same pieces in place to do what they did.

• Like 2

I am not talking about the 29 in between. I am talking about the...........

NO!!! STOP RIGHT THERE!.... I AM taking about the 29 years in between...which is strikingly similar to the years currently with VK. You don't get to dismiss all of those years in between where they used the name "Blue Stars". They were still the "Blue Stars" in the early 90s. You don't have a right to dictate otherwise. Just like you don't have a right to dictate whether VK uses the name "Velvet Knights" while in the same position Blue Stars were once in. You don't have that right.

YOU.....are WRONG!

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 3

NO!!! STOP RIGHT THERE!.... I AM taking about the 29 years in between...which is strikingly similar to the years currently with VK. You don't get to dictate the context of this discussion by limiting it's relevancy only to the few years leading into the Blue Stars return to finals. It doesn't work that way.THAT IS NOT FAIR! It was a TWENTY NINE YEAR PROCESS that took time to get to their current success. VK deserves the same benefit of any doubt AND CHANCE to make the same move coming from their humble return...and CERTAINLY have a right to use f the same name regardless.

YOU.....are WRONG!

chill_pill.preview.jpg

• Like 6

NO! I'm OFFENDED by this guy's post. How would you like to be a kid in the current VKYAO organization and read a post where someone says your corps "does not exist"? It's completely disrespectful to the current VK organization and I think it's as rotten and low as a person on this forum can stoop.

I guess I'd shrug it off since it's not anything that hasn't been said a thousand times over . . . just not necessarily on this forum. And if I realized who the person is who made the offending remark I'd probably sit up and pay attention to what he has to say.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't want someone to freak out while "defending" my corps in full view of the DC community. If it really bothers you so much, just let it go. As it is you're only making things worse.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 3