Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

Wow...I thought the trend was more 'Moneyball', but this really sounds more like Steinbrenner.

This was probably Gino's idea.

They did this same thing in 2003 and it sort of blew up in their face. The mello soloist who came out was a great player but had no marching experience and never made it into the show.

So AShy!

HA! binky!

well if they have holes or have kids that can't pay....ya know, do what gets ya bodies

I don't like the idea of searching for a soloist to give a scholarship too. A member with a financial need is fine. This isn't.

So The Cadets are offering $1500 towards the dues of someone that can fill a certain job for the summer? What if they offer a $3000 (or full tour) scholarship when they can't find what they want? Heck, the budget is already over one million for The Cadets, and a few million for all of YEA. Why not just hire a soloist? Grab someone from Julliard and pay them $5,000 to go on tour and play solos. They can relax in the shade during rehearsals and sit behind a black screen when not soloing.

So the money is coming from an outside source...big whoop. The person likely gives to corps anyway and would have given a similar donation without the special scholarship.

I'm prepared for more red negatives for saying so, so have at it.

• Like 3

Hahaha, I don't think the Cadets or YEA are in any position to be paying anyone extra money. They struggle enough with their budgets already. But you never really see them cutting costs... they just try to suck in more money from other sources... that might eventually run dry.

But being paid 5000 to play a solo and sit in the shade sure does beat paying more and working harder than any other corps in DCI.... lol.

I don't like the idea of searching for a soloist to give a scholarship too. A member with a financial need is fine. This isn't.

Then no more giving out college scholarships on the basis of talent either then. Only fincancial aid, bot no more scholarships. Do you not see the lack of logic?

• Like 2

Hahaha, I don't think the Cadets or YEA are in any position to be paying anyone extra money. They struggle enough with their budgets already. But you never really see them cutting costs... they just try to suck in more money from other sources... that might eventually run dry.

Now Youth Education in the Arts' solvency is coming into question? LOL Don't make yourself dizzy with that spin you got going on there.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Why not just hire a soloist? Grab someone from Julliard and pay them $5,000 to go on tour and play solos. They can relax in the shade during rehearsals and sit behind a black screen when not soloing.

Oh! Insider info! Could you send me the score of the solo? And maybe the exact list of the soloists responsibility and role in the show since you apparently know the details of what the soloist will be doing on and off the field? Greatly appreciated.

Do you know how silly this suggestion sounds? :rolleyes:

Edited by charlie1223

Then no more giving out college scholarships on the basis of talent either then. Only fincancial aid, bot no more scholarships. Do you not see the lack of logic?

I don't see a point of giving money to people who don't need it. A lot of scholarships nowadays are based on financial need in addition to performance.