WGI Percussion

After watching some of the shows at WGI drum finals last weekend, its clear to me that the real innovation in the activity is in the indoor drumline scene. For better or worse, what these lines are doing will pop up soon in bands and corps. I think it can be better, if the technology cooperates... and when it doesn't, live by the sword, die by the sword.

LED Lighting sequenced to music, videos that go with the show (some live) on bigscreens, even more cutting edge use of electronics, this was more like theater in many ways than marching. In fact, one group developed their own iPhone ap that was supposed to go off on the phones of people who downloaded it during finals (my understanding it was technological limitations in the arena that prevented them from using it).

The people liked it and the place was about full, so the lines must be doing something right.

The designers of these shows are the new blood that are going to be writing DCI champion shows in the near future. I would not be surprised if the Cadets had lighted Christmas trees or something like that this season. Perhaps even laser-generated snowflakes (but that innovation would be credited to a BOA band).

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 2

LED Lighting sequenced to music, videos that go with the show (some live) on bigscreens, even more cutting edge use of electronics, this was more like theater in many ways than marching. In fact, one group developed their own iPhone ap that was supposed to go off on the phones of people who downloaded it during finals (my understanding it was technological limitations in the arena that prevented them from using it).

The people liked it and the place was about full, so the lines must be doing something right.

The designers of these shows are the new blood that are going to be writing DCI champion shows in the near future. I would not be surprised if the Cadets had lighted Christmas trees or something like that this season. Perhaps even laser-generated snowflakes (but that innovation would be credited to a BOA band).

This year was the first year that electronics, lights, projection etc was able to be used. So, it's brand new and something that has never been done before, so of-course anything they did with electronics would be innovative. I think the underlying point here is that the rule limitations in DCI prevent it from being as imaginative as WGI. I'd say that's true. But WGI is smaller in a number of ways and those visual-electronic effects would be absolutely lost in Gigantic stadiums but works great for small indoor gyms.

Marching Bands use some electronic lighting now aswell and the effect, atleast in outdoor stadiums, leaves much to be desired...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I confess I've not been to an indoor percussion event since I competed in the first big one in Dallas in 1982 at the PAS convention. That was held in the theater in the Anatole Hotel. I really must go to see how they have made drums sound good in a gymnasium.

• Like 1

At least one band at BOA Grand Nats used projection technology to great effect. If it doesn't make its way to DCI, I'll actually kind of be sad.

I think, and have said, that the true future in the marching arts is in the indoor realm.

1. Indoor drumlines and guards are similar to performance art we are used to seeing. (Blast, dance concerts/contests, stomp, performance theaters, troupes).

2. Indoor units are farther removed from marching band. The farther they are from the crappy marching bands that people associate with the word "marching band" the more successful they can become.

3. There are less performers. Less performers, less egos, less issues abound. It is way easier to schedule rehearsals outside of class times with 30 people (as compared to 100-300).

4. The environment is more controlled. Sure, gyms can be acoustical nightmares, but they all have electricity, the same sized floors, and a roof to prevent electronics issues.

5. The activity is younger and less bound to old school standards. In a dog eat dog world, the faster you evolve, the faster you can grow. Drum Corps is dying because curmudgeons like me try to hold one foot back, while putting one foot forward.

6. It costs WAY LESS to put together an indoor group than a drum corps.

7. It is circuit based. This cuts way down on travel costs for the group, and also helps keep the groups more community oriented (which is what made drum corps awesome in the golden era).

• Like 7

I think, and have said, that the true future in the marching arts is in the indoor realm.

1. Indoor drumlines and guards are similar to performance art we are used to seeing. (Blast, dance concerts/contests, stomp, performance theaters, troupes).

2. Indoor units are farther removed from marching band. The farther they are from the crappy marching bands that people associate with the word "marching band" the more successful they can become.

3. There are less performers. Less performers, less egos, less issues abound. It is way easier to schedule rehearsals outside of class times with 30 people (as compared to 100-300).

4. The environment is more controlled. Sure, gyms can be acoustical nightmares, but they all have electricity, the same sized floors, and a roof to prevent electronics issues.

5. The activity is younger and less bound to old school standards. In a dog eat dog world, the faster you evolve, the faster you can grow. Drum Corps is dying because curmudgeons like me try to hold one foot back, while putting one foot forward.

6. It costs WAY LESS to put together an indoor group than a drum corps.

7. It is circuit based. This cuts way down on travel costs for the group, and also helps keep the groups more community oriented (which is what made drum corps awesome in the golden era).

This post makes me very sad. ;(

• Like 3

Well I was totally against it at first but since my son has been involved in the Foothill High School drumline for two seasons I have really grown to like it for the most part.

Sure there is some real cheesy stuff going on but there is also some very innovative stuff there too.

I watched finals on Saturday and I loved it!

• Like 2