2012 Blue Devils

I've been in two corps with improved solos.

Shouldn't that be "improvised solos"?

Because I certainly would hope that solos improve as the season goes on, and in more than just two corps. :tongue:

• Like 1

Honestly, Lance. The H-word is tired.

People are allowed to not like a particular corps for whatever reason. They're also allowed to express their dislike on an internet forum. You can disagree with them, debate them, whatever.

But resorting right to "hate" when there's nothing even close to that in this thread only continues to devalue the word.

i'm certainly tired of seeing the hatred. but it won't go away, that's for sure. it's not just bd, though.

be excellent to each other.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

the funny thing about this to me is that the cavies started this trend toward modern arranging for dci back in 2000.

their show, "niagara falls", had very little of the actual piece by doherty of the same name. over half a dozen pieces were incorporated into that show, whether we're talking themes, motifs, rhytmic/melodic ostinatos, though few of the individual pieces were listed as part of the rep. lots of mctee, in particular.

it was the perfect saucedo arrangement for me because he took a lot of disparate pieces, and made it into something musically quite wonderful.

many more corps now choose to give credit to all of the pieces that serve as inspiration for the arrangement, including bd. so many corps do it now, and since BD is always near the top, haters focus their rage on them. they'll hide it behind smiley faces and crudely constructed backhanded compliments, but it's hate just the same. sadly, it's all over the board for just about every corps. why?

I can see where you're coming from and I know I'm guilty of what you're likely describing... I don't really think it is **hate** though. Of course we still have to use that tired catch phrase...

I'm not sure about this rep, and based upon their history over the last 5 years I'm apprehensive... I'll give it an opened minded viewing before deciding whether I enjoy it or not... music.gif

Until then, I'm looking towards history to be my guide...

I'd really appreciate being entertained by this corps again. No hate involved and I couldn't care less about where they place relative to other corps...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

many more corps now choose to give credit to all of the pieces that serve as inspiration for the arrangement, including bd. so many corps do it now, and since BD is always near the top, haters focus their rage on them. they'll hide it behind smiley faces and crudely constructed backhanded compliments, but it's hate just the same. sadly, it's all over the board for just about every corps. why?

I can't speak for others, but I'll speak for myself. It has absolutely nothing to do with being at the top but has everything to do with my disappointment about no longer being entertained by a corps that used to entertain me a great deal. For what it's worth, I enjoyed last year's show quite a bit.

And worth noting that "be excellent to each other," while great advice, does not describe a significant portion of your posting history here.

• Like 6

thanks for your thoughts, kdaddy.

anyhoo, haven't paid much attention to rep announcements until now. loving BD's and Cavies. i'm going to check out some more now.

and chaddy, you're one of the better posters on here, IMO, and one that i wouldn't want to start an argument with. i'll leave it with I agree completely with you about the right for posters to say whatever they want as long as it's withing guidelines, including myself. i'll respectfully disagree that hatred isn't somewhat rampant on here.

looking forward to a great season. almost there.

I can see where you're coming from and I know I'm guilty of what you're likely describing... I don't really think it is **hate** though. Of course we still have to use that tired catch phrase...

I'm not sure about this rep, and based upon their history over the last 5 years I'm apprehensive... I'll give it an opened minded viewing before deciding whether I enjoy it or not... music.gif

Until then, I'm looking towards history to be my guide...

I'd really appreciate being entertained by this corps again. No hate involved and I couldn't care less about where they place relative to other corps...

i'm apprehensive, too. needless to say, you're not one of the types I meant. see ya.

i'm apprehensive, too. needless to say, you're not one of the types I meant. see ya.

Lance,

Your comment struck a chord with me a little because I'm not always equally glowing about every corps and my comments may be considered "backhanded complements". They're the best that I can do given what I know.

I just get tired of feeling like I can NOT say something less than positive about a corps around here without the risk of being called a "hater". Believe me, I want to be super positive.

The last thing I want to do is put any group down.... tongue.gif

I agree that people should never be rude on here... and that happens quite a bit. Actually, we should all behave on here the same way we would face to face... Things would go a LOT better that way...

I believe that this thread has been pretty calm on the "hate" front so far... Let's hope it stays that way!

Seems like Blue Devils didn't get the memo about being more fan-friendly and accessible with their show...

I used to be the biggest Blue Devils fan, back when I first became acquainted with them in the mid-80s, when they would just play shows consisting solely of straight-up jazz - seems like the days of "Channel One Suite" are LONG gone.  One shouldn't need a PhD in modern art or literature to enjoy a drum corps show.

To be fair, it's more of a widespread issue than just the Blue Devils.  Somewhere along the line, drum corps became so engrossed with the concept of themed shows that the wheels just about completely fell off the product.  Don't get me wrong - the talent level has continued to rise every year as the performances get better and better, however the shows themselves seemed to have gone off the deep end.

If you need any proof, you need to look no further than why there was a need to bring Michael Cesario in and create the position for him that DCI did.  Last year seemed to get slightly better in terms of accessible shows, but now one year removed, it almost looks like some corps did this just because they were "forced" to, and this year they're back to the same old, same old.

Flame away...

• Like 9

Seems like Blue Devils didn't get the memo about being more fan-friendly and accessible with their show...

I used to be the biggest Blue Devils fan, back when I first became acquainted with them in the mid-80s, when they would just play shows consisting solely of straight-up jazz - seems like the days of "Channel One Suite" are LONG gone. One shouldn't need a PhD in modern art or literature to enjoy a drum corps show.

To be fair, it's more of a widespread issue than just the Blue Devils. Somewhere along the line, drum corps became so engrossed with the concept of themed shows that the wheels just about completely fell off the product. Don't get me wrong - the talent level has continued to rise every year as the performances get better and better, however the shows themselves seemed to have gone off the deep end.

If you need any proof, you need to look no further than why there was a need to bring Michael Cesario in and create the position for him that DCI did. Last year seemed to get slightly better in terms of accessible shows, but now one year removed, it almost looks like some corps did this just because they were "forced" to, and this year they're back to the same old, same old.

Flame away...

Welcome to DCP!

• Like 1

Longtime Blue Devils fan here.

And I agree with a number of the previous posters... I'll keep an open mind on the Devils' show this year.

2010... after reading a lot of the negative feedback from folks regarding the Devils' show that year, I thought I would hate the show.

But when I saw it, I didn't hate it... in fact, I was fascinated by the whole visual/mirrors thing. It wasn't my favorite BD show, but was by no means my least favorite, if that makes any sense.

• Like 4