2012 Blue Devils

Heh.

For all the navel-gazing that the show description throws out, I imagine they'll get that in somewhere along the way.

I'm already not looking forward to the inevitable "this drum corps show is deep, dude" arguments.

Hint: Duchamp didn't have to worry about a score, folks. :lol:

Actually the whole point of the Dada thing was that it WASN'T "real art" -- it was a protest movement in response to supposedly civilized nations engaging in warfare. Nor was it intellectual or deep. It was intentionally grating and bad. It was outrageous. It was politics. Gonna be a fun summer ph34r.gif

• Like 1

Actually the whole point of the Dada thing was that it WASN'T "real art" -- it was a protest movement in response to supposedly civilized nations engaging in warfare. Nor was it intellectual or deep. It was intentionally grating and bad. It was outrageous. It was politics.[/img]

That's my point . . .the folks who will line up this summer to defend "le artiste" will actually be running counter to their own argument. :tongue:

Dada thing Nor was it intellectual or deep. It was intentionally grating and bad.

Well, the smart thing to do here, imo. is for the BD staff designers to make this as nonsenical, grating and as bad as possible. They can't take chances here with this. The show will need to convey total chaos in order to win another DCI Title, imo. The biggest fear I have for BD is that this show might have too much sense and intellect to it. The brilliance here is that in order to win it must be totally nonsensical to everyone... but most importantly, to the judges. They need to feel totally confused at the end of this show. From my perspective, BD has set a high bar for themselves with this show. But I think they have the talent and the staff to make this show very " intentionally bad " come Finals.... and thereby win another DCI Title.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Again, with the "mass" anything. That is so not-dada....it's more along the lines of daduh! :tongue:

Oh my friend, the show was there two years ago (and the two previous years)....but one can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him clap (i.e. sitting on their hooves). Simply stated: popularity is no measure of talent, quality or art....that's why most classic artists died poor. It's for this reason that nearly all American Idol winners are faint memories now (forgotten, vaporized)..no substance. True longevity exists in art when we see beyond the popular norms. In my view, this is exactly where BD is trying to pull design....kicking and screaming.

Look at the trend of the recent BD show themes....Absurdity/Risking, Depression/Shell Shock, Reflection/Disturbing, Burt?? (hey, Cesario insisted), Dada/Culture Re-imagined.......these are designers who are looking through a different prism altogether; The only way they are able to see the same "yesterday" that so many DCPers do (and even long for) is through that glass and darkly. They might even suggest that if you want BD 96....go get the video! (please ignore the snarkyness of that, but that may be the sentiment).

Personal Opinion Alert: I expect a full-on assault on the metronome this year. A brilliant assault. And as in true dada fashion...your validation of their design will not be a requirement. I would even say (although it is always a lovely thing to get) it isn't expected. Afterall, the center of gravity for Dadaism is anarchy...in short, lawlessness. Rejecting reason, embracing non-sense as a means of shocking the insanity of normal. Doesn't exactly sound like "Dress right, DRESS!" to me (inside humor for us military types :rolleyes: ). No G, this will be a design that inspires intuition and counter-culture (not a very far leap from the structured world of Drum Corps)....... and they have the chops to do it!

the only assualt on the metronome I want to seeis someone smashing one on the field

Will there be playing and marching simultaneously, or is that concept too base for the scope of the designers?

:spitting:

Will there be playing and marching simultaneously, or is that concept too base for the scope of the designers?

Does anybody here know if BD's preshow will be a tribute to Dada's " nonsense " as well ?

Their description of the show is very poorly written. It feels like someones freshmen college paper where they try to use all big words in order to get a simple point across.

• Like 4

More classical choices than jazz.... looking forward to hearing the arrangements.

I suspect this show will be a lot more fan friendly than some are saying.... the Corpse Bride piece should be fun.