2012 Blue Devils

I meant for that to be more in the spectrum of crowd response rather than competitiveness.

On the other side, if their design staff is thinking exactly the same as your post indicates, then I say they're doing things for the wrong reasons.

Of course, that was one person's opinion of how the BD staff thinks about their show designs...not a comment from the BD staff itself.

If you can't apply the word innovation to Apple...I'm not sure who you could....Lady GaGa?? rolleyes.gif

I do see your point about refining their products...but think about it...who invented the portable digital and downloadable music, who invented the marketplace to buy online music, who invented the smart phone and who invented the tablet? These were not just refinements....they thought about the digital population and made things that we didn't even know we needed. Now everyone of those I mentioned is ensconced in our lives.

I wouldn't call Lady Gaga innovative either. Maybe Creative? Certainly popular... Apple is certainly creative, too!

Apple didn't invent the idea of digital music or downloadable music. There were many mp3 players on the market before the first iPods ( Creative Zen, Diamond Rio). Apple refined the genre to a state where it could better achieve critical mass. iTunes ( SoundJam Media Player) started out as a media player application that Apple purchased from other people around 2000, and have developed it to what it is today.

Apple leveraged the Mac brand and their software development prowess to get into the portable music area. They weren't first, but they were good at combining and refining their Mac feel, Quicktime, and OSX experiences into the iPod, and then later the iPhone products. This is all a natural progression to me; a refinement. I guess you guys are right. Maybe that is innovation. Apple has gotten the masses to buy into these types of products. I guess my point is that Apple did not create these ideas from scratch though... These items needed to be made and nobody else was willing to take a chance and make them the way they should have been made.

Oh, the Newton was a great PDA that was WAY ahead of its time. That was a case where Apple innovated from scratch. We just weren't ready for that one.

I have a Compaq Tablet that came out before the iPad and is much less of a walled garden. Tablets have been around for over a decade. Apple did help make them popular...

Really, the only things that BD and Apple have in common are that they're both in the same region of the state of California and both are excellent at what they do. Both a creative.

• Like 1

I meant for that to be more in the spectrum of crowd response rather than competitiveness.

On the other side, if their design staff is thinking exactly the same as your post indicates, then I say they're doing things for the wrong reasons.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the BD design staff sets out with a goal to wow the audience at all. If so, one would naturally have to conclude that they are tone deaf to the general consensus of national audiences. But I don't believe they are tone deaf to audiences at all. I think they are quite happy to design shows that are... in their view... cutting edge and innovative, challenge their marchers, and that score well. To that extent they have been wildly successful, imo. This being said, I do understand your frustration from their recent shows as a paying customer. This is a frequent lament heard a lot the last few years from around the country with the BD shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the BD design staff sets out with a goal to wow the audience at all. If so, one would naturally have to conclude that they are tone deaf to the general consensus of national audiences. But I don't believe they are tone deaf to audiences at all. I think they are quite happy to design shows that are... in their view... cutting edge and innovative, challenge their marchers, and that score well. To that extent they have been wildly successful, imo. This being said, I do understand your frustration from their recent shows as a paying customer. This is a frequent lament heard a lot the last few years from around the country with the BD shows.

This reeks of being a PC answer (and especially after all the talk of Macs!). ;P

This reeks of being a PC answer (and especially after all the talk of Macs!). ;P

Care to explain why you think my reply was a " PC answer " ? ....Portable Computer (" PC" ) ?, or Politically Correct ( " PC" ) ?

Edited by BRASSO

this may not be the popular thing to say BUT IMO the drum corps activity needs a BD type to push envelopes ( which hasnt seemed to hurt them ) AS the activity also needs a PR, Cadets, Cavies etc etc. for what they and others bring to the table.

this may not be the popular thing to say BUT IMO the drum corps activity needs a BD type to push envelopes ( which hasnt seemed to hurt them ) AS the activity also needs a PR, Cadets, Cavies etc etc. for what they and others bring to the table.

In my view, the Drum Corps activity has had Corps" push the envelope" since the beginning of time.. Somtimes the envelope gets mailed, and sometimes its returned to sender for not enough postage. Some changes work, some are soso, and some are disastrous in retrospect. But there has always been " change " in the Drum Corps activity, and always some Corps pushing the envelope for better or worse. A case can be made that there has been more " changes " in the Drum Corps activity than just about any other competitive activity one can think of as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO

In my view, the Drum Corps activity has had Corps" push the envelope" since the beginning of time.. Somtimes the envelope gets mailed, and sometimes its returned to sender for not enough postage. Some changes work, some are soso, and some are disastrous in retrospect. But there has always been " change " in the Drum Corps activity, and always some Corps pushing the envelope. A case can be made that there has been more " changes " in the Drum Corps activity than just about any other competitive activity one can think of as a matter of fact.

true and thats why we should celebrate individuality in a corps. We dont have to like or have to toe tap to every corps..Variety is a great thing.

Care to explain why you think my reply was a " PC answer " ? ....Portable Computer (" PC" ) ?, or Politically Correct ( " PC" ) ?

Just seems like there's more you'd want to say...especially around the part about "in their view."