Cavaliers - 6 basses

110 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Cavies can pull it off.
    • NO! 5 basses forever!
    • who gives a frosty donut how many basses they march?

Was there a poll like this when Madison marched 20 contras in 2010?

only if the synth parts would be doubling

• Like 1

If only people still remembered the Offensive Lions. They marched lots of basses.

I must be the only person that remembers this.

Mingus - I mentioned the 11 basses from offensive lions on the 1st or second page

92 and 93. not sure if video is out there, but man...93 finals....holy hell. pure quality

yeah, couldn't remember the years - I missed being in that line by 2 years. I marched with guys who were and they told me about the parts being a ##### to learn and clean. I've seen video. it is sweet.

Mingus - I mentioned the 11 basses from offensive lions on the 1st or second page

Duly noted, my friend. And you were the first!

But then there were so many others (4 or 5) that seemed to post about them like it was a revelation. Almost as if they didn't even take the time to read the thread.

I guess I lose at sarcasm.

I've played bass and taught indoor bass. Five basses really lend themselves to exercises in that you get four eighth-notes of beats then either a resolve on the bottom or start reverse the pattern.

Four is too few and six is unnecessary. If you simply double up the big notes on six, you'll create an opportunity for errors with sloppy unison notes. More than six (except as a brief gimmick) and you make the problem worse.

If I was on staff I would keep more than five for the purpose of keeping good members in the organization when there aren't obvious cuts.

I've played bass and taught indoor bass. Five basses really lend themselves to exercises in that you get four eighth-notes of beats then either a resolve on the bottom or start reverse the pattern.

Four is too few and six is unnecessary. If you simply double up the big notes on six, you'll create an opportunity for errors with sloppy unison notes. More than six (except as a brief gimmick) and you make the problem worse.

If I was on staff I would keep more than five for the purpose of keeping good members in the organization when there aren't obvious cuts.

Why would somebody write it that way? Sounds kind of limiting.

A lot of people coming down on the OP for the question.

I think the obvious thing by now is that it was a new concept to him/her. Nothing for any of us to get crazy about!

With the talent of that design team and the quality of their marchers, im sure they will do it and do it very well.

I have done that with my high school programs in the past and it can be fun! Its different to arrange for, but if it works into what you are doing, then by all means!

So here is a random question:

What are the largest FULL TIME lines anyone can think of in recorded competitive drum corps?

I think the biggest lines ive seen are 12 snares, 8 tenors, and 6 bass.

Again, im not talking about moments like the Cadets in 91 with the 14 tenors who eventually went back to their "Real" instrument, but lines that played the entire program?

PS

Another great line with "unusual" make up was 1994 Velvet Knights! BIG tenor line! Smooth Beats!

If only people still remembered the Offensive Lions. They marched lots of basses.

I must be the only person that remembers this.

They also marched quints that resembled the old octobongs, about 3 feet long, with the bottom of the shell below the knees. These things were heavier than hell. Offensive Lions had a very good drum line one year, I cant remember the year though. 1979 maybe?

Didn't notice if it was mentioned, but what about the years the Cadets had multiple drumsets on the field ('94, '95, '02). Also, in '95 I believe they had some extra bass drums for the whole crazy bass drum parts during the 'dance' section by the guard, that ended in absolute madness as they were running around and playing split parts. Must have been a real task teaching that choreography!