PreTour Sights and Sounds!

Perhaps if every corps released an equal amount of information, there would be no net effect, but take a corps like Cadets who are doing daily updates including actual audio and visual sneak peeks, versus a corps like Crown that is, best I can tell, releasing next to nothing. All other things being equal, a generic drum corps fan looking for details in the off-season are going to grow more attached to Cadets, are going to be more likely to enjoy their show, are going to feel closer to the Cadets, and are going to spend more with the Cadets, they're going to donate more to the Cadets, they're going to make seeing shows with the Cadets a priority, they're going to volunteer more for the Cadets.

Maybe the effect is small, but I'm sure it exists. Is it worth the real and opportunity costs of spending the time to produce the updates on a daily basis? I guess that's the question.

I love the amount of info the Cadets release. And in the off-season I probably agree with all of the above.

OTOH I think the on-field product will affect fans the most. If fans *like* (or dislike) a show, no amount of pre-season info is going to make a difference.

Does the pre-season hype pre-dispose fans to like a show? I doubt it really makes much impact. Because -- despite the volumes of text and hours of video we have of the Cadets -- we haven't really seen much of the show at all.

Fortunately the wait is almost over and soon we'll be discussing drum corps shows on the field instead of pre-season press releases!

• Like 1

I love the amount of info the Cadets release. And in the off-season I probably agree with all of the above.

OTOH I think the on-field product will affect fans the most. If fans *like* (or dislike) a show, no amount of pre-season info is going to make a difference.

Does the pre-season hype pre-dispose fans to like a show? I doubt it really makes much impact. Because -- despite the volumes of text and hours of video we have of the Cadets -- we haven't really seen much of the show at all.

Fortunately the wait is almost over and soon we'll be discussing drum corps shows on the field instead of pre-season press releases!

I don't think releasing media in the off-season necessarily benefits the individual corps doing the releasing. Which is one of the reasons (though not the most important reason) that information is so sparse. What it does do, or rather what it should do if done right is create a general excitement for the upcoming season. Not everyone reads DCP, not everyone is a hardcore fan . . . a lot of people go through the off-season without thinking much about drum corps until the season starts. Pre-season releases, teasers, and whatnot can get these people thinking about drum corps before starts. It can encourage more people to get out to more shows, boost early ticket sales, and ultimately benefit all corps.

But there are a few problems keeping this from happening. First, of course, is the lack of information itself. There are many reasons for this, we've already gone over them ad nauseam. I will make one comment though. It seems that the creative staff are often the guys who decide what gets released and when. Which is completely backwards, because it's not a creative decision. It's a business one. The business side of a corps be completely in control in these matters. That would put an end to a lot of the fretting from designers and instructional staff that someone might say something mean about the show (and this really, truly, honestly is the reason behind much of the reticence we get from certain corps).

The second problem is that what pre-season information is released is scattered across dozens of websites, YouTube streams, Facebook pages, etc. Who has the time or patience to look through all of these, hoping against hope that you might find something that's actually interesting? There needs to be a one-stop shop for all pre-season media. A lot of stuff gets posted on DCP, but not everyone reads DCP, and it's a high-volume forum so stuff gets buried pretty quickly. There's the Fan Network, but it's done a fairly miserable job this past off-season. And you have to register just to see the stuff that's free, which makes it too inaccessible.

DCI needs to have a free website, that does not require registration, that is connected to Facebook and YouTube, and that contains regularly updated, meaningful information from all corps. Audio and video, posters, concept art, camp reports, what have you. The individual corps are already doing all of this. It needs to be placed together on an easily accessible website that can keep non-hardcore fans thinking about drum corps year round. And it doesn't have to be limited to pre-season stuff. It could be updated during tour as well, it could contain a small rotating library of classic shows, and so on.

I would rather they did't have those recorded portions of the show but even with it this show is just plain incredible! This is the first time in a long long time that I actually took note of how interesting the stuff the guard is doing.

Really off the wall stuff. I know that isn't everyones cup of tea but doing the same songs over and over get tiresome also. I love the creativity of new drum corps. They are playing stuff now days that I always yearned to play in a concert hall. Man I wish I was young enough to be in a junior corps now!

I know a lot of people will complain but I think this time it really does fit the show. I personally like the more abstract stuff.

But there are a few problems keeping this from happening. First, of course, is the lack of information itself. There are many reasons for this, we've already gone over them ad nauseam. I will make one comment though. It seems that the creative staff are often the guys who decide what gets released and when. Which is completely backwards, because it's not a creative decision. It's a business one. The business side of a corps be completely in control in these matters. That would put an end to a lot of the fretting from designers and instructional staff that someone might say something mean about the show (and this really, truly, honestly is the reason behind much of the reticence we get from certain corps).

Actually, in many cases, it is in the hands of the creative staff because they retain the rights to their work.

Went to see the Cadets preview show in Allentown tonight and Holy #### this going to be an awesome show!!!! The arrangement of Jingle Bells is going blow the top off the Oil Can. It definetly has 2007 blue shades Vibe along with 2002. The whole show has an aggressiveness that is unmatched even compared to last years show. It is beast and #### good arrangements worthy of defending the title. No other corps would have the guts to do this kind of program but the cadets have a real monster!!! Drill will be flying again for sure! What a great blend of emotion and power with these Christmas carols!

And a side note Cadets2 sounded awesome! Had a quality that matched that of the cadets just a little smaller. Not 100% familiar with DCA but from a DCI stand point I was impressed with both the brass and percussion. Very cool they are doing an old school cadets book for their opener.

• Like 3

Actually, in many cases, it is in the hands of the creative staff because they retain the rights to their work.

Of course, and they can do whatever they want with their work. But it would benefit the corps and the activity if they focused on their own particular area of expertise and let the corps and DCI release information and media as they see fit.

• Like 1

Of course, and they can do whatever they want with their work. But it would benefit the corps and the activity if they focused on their own particular area of expertise and let the corps and DCI release information and media as they see fit.

That may be. I'm not really arguing that point, simply pointing out that in many cases, while it might make sense for the business departments of the corps to handle the media that is released, its often not that simple because of the way design contracts are structured.

And a side note Cadets2 sounded awesome! Had a quality that matched that of the cadets just a little smaller. Not 100% familiar with DCA but from a DCI stand point I was impressed with both the brass and percussion. Very cool they are doing an old school cadets book for their opener.

Was at a C2 camp last week -- they might surprise some people over in DCA land cool.gif

• Like 2