Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

For a long time, (since I aged out in the 1980's) I have felt that a professional drum and bugle corps league, with paid members in corps, would be a natural next step for drum corps members. I envisioned a 25-30 corps league based on professional sports league models(NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball, MLS, etc.) The corps in the league could use that model as the way to run each corps, with the best players/performers being drafted into the league, via auditions. The members of each corps would be paid to perform, with DCI being the "Collegiate" level for drum corps . Such a league could follow the exist pattern set up for Pro sports. (I.E. middle school band, high school band, College Band and/or DCI corps membership, Professional Drum and Bugle corps.)

I even thought DCA could be transformed into the "major leagues" of Drum and Bugle corps, with each DCA corps paying their members.

If this model was set up, I think it would be supported in the same way major league sports are supported. I think that if such league existed, it could be as big as the professional major league sports leagues, because of the fact that, at the middle, and high school level, there is the potential to be just as many/maybe more people who in music/performance, as there are in sports, at that level. Couple the idea that a Drum and Bugle corps professional league would also include women, who for the most part are left out of a professional league that would pay them for performing. (WNBA is one exception, maybe the only one)

I believe that since this league would pay it's members, it would get the very best players/performers, and the level of quality would go up. This would in turn draw more fans, and inspire younger musicians to want to be a professional Drum and Bugle corp member. (giving musician another way to become a professional musician.)

This could begin to create a cycle of improvement in the overall activity:

For instance:

1.More young students may get into music, because they saw a exciting performance by a pro Drum and Bugle corps,

2. The new student goes out to buy instruments/equipment to practice with.

3. The instrument makers may see a increase in sales, and start putting MORE money in endorsements in popular pro corps.

4. leading to higher salaries for pro corps members

5. which would lead to more competition for spots in the pro league

6. which would lead to better,higher quality in the corps and shows,

7.which could lead to more people finding out about the activity, and wanting to become professional drum and bugle corps members.

8. which could lead to non-music related endorsements. (Nationally televised regular season competitions, with Budweiser as a official sponsor, LOL)

9. which may lead to a wider awareness, and more interest in the activity.

There have been other "professional" Drum and Bugle corps, (Future Corps, BLAST!, etc.) where the members were paid, and in each instance, the corps produced amazing performances (mostly with much smaller ensembles than DCI, or DCA corps.)

Theoretically, it may be possible to make professional Drum and Bugle corps big enough to draw in non-music related sponsers/endorsments, such as food, and drink vendors, and TV rights. (if enough eyes are drawn to the activity, it is possible for sponsor/endorsers to see a solid business sense for paying for rights to the activity. Just look at the National Spelling Bee, and cheerleading.)

I would love to see comments on this, and what others think.

If this model was set up, I think it would be supported in the same way major league sports are supported. I think that if such league existed, it could be as big as the professional major league sports leagues,

You honestly believe this? Really?

• Like 4

I have two questions for the original poster:

1. Where is the money going to come from to set up this league, establish the teams/corps, and pay the staff members and performers?

2. Where is the fan base going to materialize from?

If this model was set up, I think it would be supported in the same way major league sports are supported. I think that if such league existed, it could be as big as the professional major league sports leagues, because of the fact that, at the middle, and high school level, there is the potential to be just as many/maybe more people who in music/performance, as there are in sports, at that level.

To be inclusive of all the people you are looking to attract, you would need to include WW in the groups, which often make up half or more of scholastic instrumental music programs.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To be inclusive of all the people you are looking to attract, you would need to include WW in the groups, which often make up half or more of scholastic instrumental music programs.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

No, he wouldn't. Let's set aside the absurdity of the entire proposal for a minute. If the OP was successful in setting up his Pro Corps League, he's under no obligation to add woodwinds in any way, shape, or form. Heck, it would have little to no bearing on the ultimate success or failure of the operation, other than to add a huge layer of expense for little to no performance gain.

What he'd be better off doing is simply removing instrumentation rules completely, and allowing the teams/corps to decide. But that opens another can of worms...is the league going to regulate positions/instrumentation in an effort to promote parity (a la NASCAR or the NFL) or is it going to allow corps to do whatever they want (like, well...no other sports league in existence).

• Like 1

A professional league would not get support anywhere close to MLB, the NFL etc.

And yes, where would the money come from to start it up?

We are a niche part of a genre that is a niche itself.

I even thought DCA could be transformed into the "major leagues" of Drum and Bugle corps, with each DCA corps paying their members.

Where is this money coming from??? If there was this much money that could be used there would be a lot more corps and school music programs would not be scrounging for dollars more than PBS does.

No, he wouldn't. Let's set aside the absurdity of the entire proposal for a minute. If the OP was successful in setting up his Pro Corps League, he's under no obligation to add woodwinds in any way, shape, or form. Heck, it would have little to no bearing on the ultimate success or failure of the operation, other than to add a huge layer of expense for little to no performance gain.

What he'd be better off doing is simply removing instrumentation rules completely, and allowing the teams/corps to decide. But that opens another can of worms...is the league going to regulate positions/instrumentation in an effort to promote parity (a la NASCAR or the NFL) or is it going to allow corps to do whatever they want (like, well...no other sports league in existence).

Again, setting aside the reality of the proposal ever happening...

Well, of course he doesn't have to add anything. But since his stated aim is to attract middle and HS scholastic musicians ("...at the middle, and high school level, there is the potential to be just as many/maybe more people who in music/performance, as there are in sports, at that level."), IMO it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut out half of them from day-1. But...it is his league.

Where is this money coming from??? If there was this much money that could be used there would be a lot more corps and school music programs would not be scrounging for dollars more than PBS does.

I think his proposal just gave every business manager of a DCA corps a heart attack! :tongue:

I think his proposal just gave every business manager of a DCA corps a heart attack! :tongue:

Heart attack or choking episode? Rode with two BoD members when I first joined and the corps was reforming. I was real quiet then and got to hear more things than most corps members (at age 16!!). Thing we had the most of was.... red ink...

Man would the proposal have generated some interesting (and four lettered) comments...

LOL, I must be getting paid more than you are.... my IOU is bigger....

Edited by JimF-LowBari