Can DCA Corps Beat DCI Corps?

Maybe last year...in 2010, I would bet Pioneer would have been top 5 at DCA.

Last year, Donny. before that, I'd have to have seen more of a 2010 clip to get a feel for it. Didn;t see them in 2010. But last year- Donny, I felt bad when I saw them, man. Not sayin' it to make fun. :sad:

I dont see how comparing the two is pointless, I really dont. You all seem to think its impossible.

Rehearsal time, age, talent, etc. aside... is it really that hard to compare two corps? I dont believe it is.

yes it is.

it's like comparing a full time employee vs a part time employee. You can't come close to the same quality, no matter how much talent you have, if you rehearse 20 hours a week as opposed to 60 hours a week

yes it is.

it's like comparing a full time employee vs a part time employee. You can't come close to the same quality, no matter how much talent you have, if you rehearse 20 hours a week as opposed to 60 hours a week

:doh:

Ok then... Pioneer 2011 vs MBI 2011...

I would put my money on MBI, why? Because they were louder, took up more space, it was a more entertaining show, relatively cleaner, better story.

There I just compared a corps that is weekend only and a corps that rehearses every day. Not impossible.

I would put my money on MBI, why? Because they were louder, took up more space, it was a more entertaining show, relatively cleaner, better story.

There I just compared a corps that is weekend only and a corps that rehearses every day. Not impossible.

You're also comparing a perennial top DCA finisher with a perennial DCI Div I cellar-dweller....not an apt comparison by ANY stretch.

Try picking a couple of corps who tend to place around the middle of their respective divisions...

MBI, even with holes in the brass section and a rough run at Lewisburg in mid-July were notably better than what I saw and heard of 2011 Pioneer in their prelims performance. The top 5 in DCA would have been better. For that matter, Fusion Core were cleaner with a more solid show and performance.

So yes, you can set some kind of a break-point there if you must. But I really think it's sort of pointless in saying the better DCA units beat the bottom end of DCI. They'd better for several reasons, manpower alone as well as experience. Several of those corps are totally atypical of a modern DCI unit in so many aspects- especially the fact they're taking anyone who sticks it out, not culling the top one in 3 to one in ten kids who try out. Two of them in particular also have the disadvantage of being from regions where there's not a strong Instrumental Music program in the schools to feed them kids who can read music and play their instruments at a decent level when they show up.

Right.

The only reason I used Pio was to prove a point that they can be compared and that I am very familiar with Pioneer 2011. In my OP I said I could see MBI/Bucs in the 25ish place. Pio finished 27th, pretty close placement wise to where I said. It not THAT far of a stretch.

Right.

The only reason I used Pio was to prove a point that they can be compared and that I am very familiar with Pioneer 2011. In my OP I said I could see MBI/Bucs in the 25ish place. Pio finished 27th, pretty close placement wise to where I said. It not THAT far of a stretch.

Unless they're on the same sheets, it's a large stretch.

And, in fact, in 2003 when SoCal Dream was on Div II sheets, we were getting beat by San Diego Alliance...a corps with SIX brass....we weren't THAT bad...but Alliance was a Jr corps with Jr corps rehearsal time....that put Dream a a disadvantage, even with the high percentage of DCI vets (many of us top 12 over the years).

FTR...Pio 2010 had 54 brass 24 guard and full drum line.

The weird part in DCI to understand that the scores from 2010 to 2011 were not that far off.

I would put Bucs and Brass a little higher maybe Colts(ish).

But again...there is no way to compare these types of corps.

I think the only way you can really compare a DCI group with a DCA group without putting them on the same sheets is just looking at entertainment value from a fans point of view. As a ticket purchaser, if I sat and watched group X and group Y, which group would I find more entertaining? Forget what WE know to look for such as cleanliness of technique, overall complication and achievement of the book, layering...etc. And just sit in the seat and enjoy both shows.

And really, in all fairness, (and I know this is going to get quoted for the next two days) it's not necessary for the purpose of this discussion to have both circuits on the same sheets. If we, the regular prowlers of DCP, were sponsoring such a contest, than YES.. it is necessary. But for this discussion, just take it at face value.

2 seconds to answer this question: In a fight, who would win? Chuck Norris or Kim Kardashian?

Did we have to create a 5 page rules document to figure this out? NO. The same type of question is being asked for this activity.

In a contest, could Bucs beat out Jersey Surf?

My answer: No.

I think many of you have gotten way to deep into this discussion. Again, just take this discussion at face value.

Edited by irishbugle

discussions, comparissons, debates, surveys,what a audiance likes or dislikes, whats tradition or not all just depends on whos participating in all of the above. You can get very different answers and results based on who takes part..So maybe it all means NOTHING...lol

Edited by GUARDLING