What corps rode school buses?

Never knew Royal Crusadeers had school buses, was in college MB with a 77 member of the corps (Rob Spence - bari).

I knew 'Spence' very well - quite the comedian on the bus...he was one of the group who hung speakers in the back from the roof in fish netting and tied the 8 track into the bus' electrical panel. I believe they used one of the warning light switches since those were covered and "not in use", although at night you could see them blink behind the covers if the stereo was switched on... :rolleyes:

I knew 'Spence' very well - quite the comedian on the bus...he was one of the group who hung speakers in the back from the roof in fish netting and tied the 8 track into the bus' electrical panel. I believe they used one of the warning light switches since those were covered and "not in use", although at night you could see them blink behind the covers if the stereo was switched on... :rolleyes:

LMOA, that's the guy. My favorite in college was when we were told to "get psyched" for a halftime show at IUP. Rob and I would be quiet and some of the freshmen trombones would yell and pump their fists and we'd just roll our eyes. Until one day one of 'em got in my face and told me I wasn't "ready". Before I could respond Spence got in his face and said "Hey ##### while you were home ###### off all summer we were competing in Drum Corps. How many competitions were YOU in?". Trombone section leader just shook his head and said later "You two are the last guys I need to worry about".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

we had old army busses in the 70's and early 80's & in 1984 had school busses. Got 1963 GMC coaches in 1985 and were riding in luxury then. LOL

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a Schaumberg Guardsmen school bus.

Quite likely. Other than the trip to finals in '75, where we rode in motor coaches, we rode in school buses. Our equipment vehicle was a very old converted school bus prone to malfunction. (BTW I can only speak for '75 - '77). We had a few very dedicated dads who painted them up and kept them running, and we were able to reconfigure the benches so that we had a few square "pits" on each bus, which made sleeping much more comfortable. Kind of like living on one of those WWII submarines.

Edited by Wort

we had old army busses in the 70's and early 80's & in 1984 had school busses. Got 1963 GMC coaches in 1985 and were riding in luxury then. LOL

LOL, wonder if Hershman rode on any of them in 84. He was our BusMang from 74-84 and we always hired the local bus company when we needed transportation. When we went to New Orleans for American Legion in 1978 the company used two brand new buses for a "shakedown cruise" and thanks for all our business. Even the crappier buses from them were better than a school bus (or any bathroom less transportation). I could just see Larrys face when he saw school buses. :blink:

Edit Local AA ballclub (Nationals farm team) uses the same bus company so they ain't too bad....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm pretty sure the Troopers rode them back in the 60's. How they made it all the way from Wyoming to the east coast in those things beats the hell out of me, but what the hell, they ARE calvary after all. :tongue:

"Army Busses and Such":

I'm pretty sure ALL the "Park City Juniors" of the 1960's spent more than a few hours on the vehicles provided by the school districts and the Army Reserve.

The olde Bridgeport PAL Cadets corps traveled the roads of the Yankee & Greater New York Circuits courtesy of the US Army, using the OD "Cruisers" they provided.

Elphaba

I remember seeing the Edmondton Strutters using school busses to get to SoCal.

The only thing that rode worse than those was my old Army 5-Ton Truck.