Cadets 12.25

I would agree with you except with the 12.25, they need to be careful not to fall into the gimmicky cheesefest version of Christmas and try to also explore the

emotions of the season leading up to Christmas (frenzied, rushed preseason stuff Carol of the Bells, playful party time Jingle, and then ultimately the

spiritual, emotional part Ballad/Closer). Im watching how the design time tweaks this allow it to evolve into an emotional product. We'll see.

hmmm... I hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense to me! I cannot WAIT to see this show in San Antonio!

12 DOT 25 is how GH had the announcers announce it.

So both Phantom and Cadets have "dot" shows this year.

I would agree with you except with the 12.25, they need to be careful not to fall into the gimmicky cheesefest version of Christmas and try to also explore the emotions of the season leading up to Christmas (frenzied, rushed preseason stuff "Carol of the Bells", playful party time "Jingle", and then ultimately the spiritual, emotional part Ballad/Closer). Im watching how the design time tweaks this allow it to evolve into an emotional product. We'll see.

Nice analysis. For myself, I think the show mostly avoids that cloying danger. Another aspect I've wondered about, if I can delicately touch on it --given the religion-in-corps thread that was just locked-- is the proper handling of this show's religious aspect. I briefly did wonder, as I first watched the Cadets on the Akron cine-cast, how the corps' non-Christian members felt about performing it, particularly when Linus's dialogue from A Charlie Brown Christmas was sampled. But I think this year's Cadets program was announced early enough that potential members who felt uncomfortable with the theme could pursue a spot in other corps. For myself as a listener, I felt a momentary twinge of discomfort at that point, but (1) no more than I did when a giant (communist) Vietnamese flag was unfurled at the end of SCV's 1992 show, and (2) I remembered that it's very possible to enjoy art whose ideology is not one's own: in my case including, say, Sergei Potemkin's communist film Battleship Potemkin, despite being a democrat (small D); or J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Lord of the Rings, Robert Bresson's film A Man Escaped, Handel's Messiah, or, yes, A Charlie Brown Christmas, to name just four of many Christian works in which this agnostic sees greatness. (Plus I've always liked singing Christmas carols.)

• Like 2

Nice analysis. For myself, I think the show mostly avoids that cloying danger. Another aspect I've wondered about, if I can delicately touch on it --given the religion-in-corps thread that was just locked-- is the proper handling of this show's religious aspect. I briefly did wonder, as I first watched the Cadets on the Akron cine-cast, how the corps' non-Christian members felt about performing it, particularly when Linus's dialogue from A Charlie Brown Christmas was sampled. But I think this year's Cadets program was announced early enough that potential members who felt uncomfortable with the theme could pursue a spot in other corps. For myself as a listener, I felt a momentary twinge of discomfort at that point, but (1) no more than I did when a giant (communist) Vietnamese flag was unfurled at the end of SCV's 1992 show, and (2) I remembered that it's very possible to enjoy art whose ideology is not one's own: in my case including, say, Sergei Potemkin's communist film Battleship Potemkin, despite being a democrat (small D); or J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Lord of the Rings, Robert Bresson's film A Man Escaped, Handel's Messiah, or, yes, A Charlie Brown Christmas, to name just four of many Christian works in which this agnostic sees greatness. (Plus I've always liked singing Christmas carols.)

Wow! Very well said! Thank you!