Who is finished?

They are important, but NO MORE important than the performer. The marcher pays $2000 t0 $3000 to take part.

I agree that when the staff is late with their show, they are cheating their own members

• Like 4

Woops... I forgot that if you didn't march Cadets you can't have an opinion on anything the corps does...

Sorry... not all of us want to be assimilated..

Resistance is NOT futile!

Dude please. It has nothing to do with being "assimilated" or having an opinion so cut down on the sarcasm especially when your opinion is how some of what the drill they do is "idiotic". Some people just expect way too much given the history of some of the corps in which they've marched.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Probably because it sometimes takes longer to learn some drill sets as compared to others, or the staff has to ensure the music actually matches the drill, or some drill sets may be harder, and so on and so on. My point is that we don't know, so to sit back and demand a show be completed by the first show can sometimes be an unrealistic expectation.

I agree with everything you wrote... and in that case the score should reflect the unfinished show. Otherwise they are getting credit for things that aren't being performed.

Which would people rather see, a show that isn't completely finished at the first show, or a show that is painfully dirty and will eventually be almost fully re-written, so that what is seen at the first show is nothing like what is seen at Finals?

Me, I'd rather see a more coherent product that might not be finished, instead of one where a "placeholder" closer is tacked on just so they can have a full show, that will end up getting scrapped two weeks later

It's just amazing how much so many fans expect out of corps every year, like things are so much different from when they marched (or didn't). We now have to have scores right after the first show, every show has to be complete, there has to be guard uniforms and silks, everyone has to be squeaky clean with no holes at the first show. Calm down people. It's drum corps. They have two months to get it all perfect. It's all a process. Maybe we're all just being a little too demanding and greedy for the opening weekend.

Yes, it IS demanding of fans (who spend $40-$50 regardless of the part of the season) to expect a full product for their money. Drill, music, flags, uniforms, costumes, etc. What nerve those folks have to ask for that level of respect. How appalling! :tongue:

• Like 2

Those all sound like staff issues – controllable issue. The staff let the fans and the marchers down by not being ready, not managing their timeline better

I understand that some years, things may happen but most often, it’s always the same corps that are not ready on time. I do feel its part of their strategy or perhaps their arrogance

For those that want to grow the activity and preach the selling point as it’s excellence, it’s not very excellent. And it is disappointing to the fans in the stands, not a very good selling point at all

+100

and it won't be fixed until they get hit in the scoring in the early shows. Why have an ending if the judges don't care? Why have all your flags if the judges don't care? Well, the fans care. The ones that pay money and are the reason that you are able to go on tour all summer. They care.

(and to be clear, this is not an issue only related to the Cadets, they are just the subject of this thread)

Edited by soccerguy315

The fans, the staff, the administration of the corps, the performers, they all must come as equals, with an slight emphasis on the education and welfare of the student marcher.

Neither of which would be endangered by expecting corps to be able to field 10 minutes worth of show after months and months of preparation. I know "won't somebody please think of the children!!!" is a pretty standard retort on DCP, but it's not a valid excuse here.

10 months to put together a 10 minute show. Months of camps. Weeks of non-stop practice. All for a season that is shorter than ever, with fewer shows, and fewer corps. Less opportunities than ever for fans to watch drum corps. Like it or not, everything boils down to those ten minutes on the field. That's what draws us into drum corps, it's what gets us to march, it's what keeps us coming back.

We talk about the "experience" of the members, and they pay a hefty price for it. It is important. But that experience won't be lessened in any way by expecting corps to field a complete show after nearly a year's worth of preparation.

I agree with everything you wrote... and in that case the score should reflect the unfinished show. Otherwise they are getting credit for things that aren't being performed.

But they also should be getting credit for things that ARE performed.

• Like 1

Dude please. It has nothing to do with being "assimilated" or having an opinion so cut down on the sarcasm especially when your opinion is how some of what the drill they do is "idiotic". Some people just expect way too much given the history of some of the corps in which they've marched.

well the people that appear to be the most okay with this seem to be former Cadets... which is strange I suppose, since the Cadets are a corps with arguably one of the highest performance and work ethic standards, yet those standards seem nowhere to be found right now and they get a pass from the ones you would expect to demand the most.

• Like 3