Who is finished?

I\ I know thats dramatic, but the fans come FIRST.

No - they don't.

• Like 1

Personally, I would commend GH for being so upfront about the shortcomings of their show preparations this year. I, for one, will lose no sleep over this.

Having said that, it is disappointing that they won't have a "complete" production. I'm not really that concerned about individual spectators in Ohio; but the fact that this show IS being cinecast to hundreds of theatres nationwide as essentially a 2 hour "trailer" to entice a larger audience is unfortunate. And, I said the same thing when Cavies came out last year for that first cinecast and stood in an arc for their last piece.

If the Regal Cinema scheme is indeed about marketing to the masses (at least masses of band kids), is this the way to proceed? No hysteria from me....just wondereing if maybe a national broadcast on June 15th is really the way to go.... :rock:

marketing to the masses?..the only ones going to these theater shows are bandos and drum corps people...the same that would go to shows if it were local. BUT I think what you meant was maybe the impression of the actual theater people? Will people copntinue to go if shows arent done?

If thats what you meant then maybe youre right, a later show , maybe July would be better.

Safety is important; flags and props? NO...

Either way, I don't care too much as long as we get a musical ending and not an abrupt ending with a super short show ( ala SCV 1999 early season).

I know the Cadets won't do that.

I agree. :smile:

Jason, as far as being Borg... Well... You have a point. I understand some of that perception. I don't like it much but I understand it.

Honestly, there's some points on both sides here. Yeah, it's lame for fans when corps perform incomplete shows. Yeah, anybody who's been around DCI isn't surprised that some groups aren't done yet. Yeah, it's still worth paying $15 for your movie ticket even if the Cadets stand still for 60 seconds.

I don't think it's a terrible idea for incomplete shows to show up in the effect numbers. It's a less effective performance because you didn't perform the ending, duh. It still might be more effective than a complete show by some other group. If that caused Cadets to get a lower score on June 16th, I'm sure they could live with it.

• Like 1

Make sure all you haters boo the kids on the field, because this is all their fault. :doh:

With the exception of last year, I can't remember a year that Cavies came out with a complete show, or BD even performs their first show until about July 15th. But if the Cadets don't? BLASPHEMY!

Nothing is really out of the ordinary this year...not sure why everyone is so up in arms about it. I guess we got spoiled last year.

Edited by Schickmeister

Every year, during the season, for many of the corps, we always hear "Oh, just wait! That's not the REAL ending. Just wait til it's in!" It always happens, always will. Every year, corps add drill, add music, change silks, change guard uniforms, change staging, replace whole chunks of their show, add props, take away props, redecorate props, add preshow, add epilogues, water down the music, suddenly kill people on the field. Am I in some parallel universe now where this is new? Come on!

There is a difference between changing your show throughout the season and having an incomplete show at the start of the season

apples and oranges

Its this very frame of thought that will end DCI. I know thats dramatic, but the fans come FIRST. We want fans to stay and continue to attend shows. If this wasnt important, then Cesario wouldnt have made it a point to say something about it. I didnt realize i was being so egotistical by expecting corps to be done by the time the season starts. Really dude?

This is all too simplistic. No, the fans do NOT come first. They are important, but NO MORE important than the performer. The marcher pays $2000 t0 $3000 to take part. They are the ones who wish to gain the experience in music, visual, teamwork, and the overall life education that drum and bugle corps promotes.

The fans, the staff, the administration of the corps, the performers, they all must come as equals, with an slight emphasis on the education and welfare of the student marcher.

Michael Cesario made a point to emphasize entertainment, not rushing your show into production so it's complete at the start of the season.

It all works out, and the shows have been, in general, way more entertaining. I think part of that is taking your time and making good, wise choices about design and content. Above all else we want quality. Early season will always bring about some unfinished shows. Better to have this than rushed concepts that hit the field looking like crap. At the root of drum corps we still have COMPETITION. Any corps that enters into this realm has a right to develop their show at a pace that makes sense for them and that helps them produce the best results. It's up to DCI and its judging system to decide how to reward such issues.

• Like 2

There is a difference between changing your show throughout the season and having an incomplete show at the start of the season

apples and oranges

Maybe there are different definitions of "incomplete" here.

They are thinking of the children (aka Marchers). Would you rather they order any old flag or find the one that works. I'm sure they will use something in the meantime, but I would rather they get it right. As for props, it's not as easy as you think. Developing a show means ideas are fluid, design is always changing, music is being reworked, and this will have an effect on props. the staff did NOT PUT THE KIDS AT RISK, they are making sure they get a good show. The marchers will be just fine and are probably loving the show they currently have.

apples and oranges

In another thread you mentioned having a student marching, so you’re in education, right?

How do you treat late assignments?

Do you treat them the same as the ones turned in on time?

Isn’t drum corps suppose to be educational

So what’s the teaching moment here?

Educate me

As a manger in the real world, I expect projects to be turned in on time even if not complete because I need to see where they are at and if they are on track. Chronic tardiness and incomplete projects make layoff choices and reviews very easy for me

Part of professionalism is being prepared on time

Nothing is really out of the ordinary this year...not sure why everyone is so up in arms about it.

That’s kind of the problem, that this is ordinary at least for a few corps

• Like 2