Who is finished?

I remember SCV 1999 not having a complete show for many shows in the early season out West. Ended up winning, but it felt like a really flat ending and they still won the shows... So they did it because it didn't hurt them... Not very excellent planning...

No, it does hurt them…but they will get over it

This is a hot button issue for me mainly because I’ve been there and being reminded of it, I still get ###### off

We were not ready our first weekend and had to finish our show standing there, marking time. I felt like an idiot, I couldn’t even look up at the stands and I was right up front. It sucked all the fun out of our first show. I was embarrassed. I really hated being put in that position.

No one is happy about it, the marchers, the fans, the alumni, DCI, or even the staff

But own it and fix it

• Like 2

WON'T ANYBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN !!!

It seems rather disingenuous considering the rest of Hoppy's post. It's rather self-serving, don't you think?

So where are the flags?

Why are the props not ready?

The staff put the kids at risk by not being ready on time

No, I don't see that as character at all

Flags? Don't really care. They could use the 1 for the whole closer if push came to shove.

Props? Don't really care. What will the props have to do with the closer drill?

Not being ready? Fair point. It a perfect world they'd be ready.

The decision to be safe is what I'm referring to.

Every year, during the season, for many of the corps, we always hear "Oh, just wait! That's not the REAL ending. Just wait til it's in!" It always happens, always will. Every year, corps add drill, add music, change silks, change guard uniforms, change staging, replace whole chunks of their show, add props, take away props, redecorate props, add preshow, add epilogues, water down the music, suddenly kill people on the field. Am I in some parallel universe now where this is new? Come on!

• Like 1

Maybe corps should just stop telling us what they're doing at all. That way we never know if what we're seeing is what they fully intend. Did we miss those white tarps at the end of last year's Cadets show, before they were put in? Did we miss the gargoyle guard-hider thing at the front, when it was just black? Did we miss the tunnel entrance Phantom put in in 2010, before it was there? Miss the kill in 2008? Miss the mosh pit ending to Machine? Miss the Promised Land reprise in 2010? Maybe the more observant of us can tell when a corps isn't quite giving us something, but many can't.

• Like 1

Flags? Don't really care. They could use the 1 for the whole closer if push came to shove.

Props? Don't really care. What will the props have to do with the closer drill?

Not being ready? Fair point. It a perfect world they'd be ready.

The decision to be safe is what I'm referring to.

Safety is important; flags and props? NO...

Either way, I don't care too much as long as we get a musical ending and not an abrupt ending with a super short show ( ala SCV 1999 early season).

I know the Cadets won't do that.

• Like 1

Personally, I would commend GH for being so upfront about the shortcomings of their show preparations this year. I, for one, will lose no sleep over this.

Having said that, it is disappointing that they won't have a "complete" production. I'm not really that concerned about individual spectators in Ohio; but the fact that this show IS being cinecast to hundreds of theatres nationwide as essentially a 2 hour "trailer" to entice a larger audience is unfortunate. And, I said the same thing when Cavies came out last year for that first cinecast and stood in an arc for their last piece.

If the Regal Cinema scheme is indeed about marketing to the masses (at least masses of band kids), is this the way to proceed? No hysteria from me....just wondering if maybe a national broadcast on June 18th is really the way to go.... :rock:

Edited by craiga

WON’T ANYBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN !!!

It seems rather disingenuous considering the rest of Hoppy's post. It's rather self-serving, don’t you think?

So where are the flags?

Why are the props not ready?

The staff put the kids at risk by not being ready on time

No, I don’t see that as character at all

They are thinking of the children (aka Marchers). Would you rather they order any old flag or find the one that works. I'm sure they will use something in the meantime, but I would rather they get it right. As for props, it's not as easy as you think. Developing a show means ideas are fluid, design is always changing, music is being reworked, and this will have an effect on props. the staff did NOT PUT THE KIDS AT RISK, they are making sure they get a good show. The marchers will be just fine and are probably loving the show they currently have.

Personally, I would commend GH for being so upfront about the shortcomings of their show preparations this year. I, for one, will lose no sleep over this.

Having said that, it is disappointing that they won't have a "complete" production. I'm not really that concerned about individual spectators in Ohio; but the fact that this show IS being cinecast to hundreds of theatres nationwide as essentially a 2 hour "trailer" to entice a larger audience is unfortunate. And, I said the same thing when Cavies came out last year for that first cinecast and stood in an arc for their last piece.

If the Regal Cinema scheme is indeed about marketing to the masses (at least masses of band kids), is this the way to proceed? No hysteria from me....just wondereing if maybe a national broadcast on June 15th is really the way to go.... :rock:

That's certainly worth arguing. I don't ever go to June show, so I'm not sure why DCI is marketing the first show nationally.

• Like 1

If the Regal Cinema scheme is indeed about marketing to the masses (at least masses of band kids), is this the way to proceed? No hysteria from me....just wondereing if maybe a national broadcast on June 15th is really the way to go.... :rock:

I agree with your post, but DCI knows how difficult it can be to get a show put together, especially one of the magnitude, complexity, and artistry of today's drum corps. If DCI wants a better Cinecast, they should wait until the second weekend of the season.