BD, BDB, BDC, SCC, SCVC and Renegades

It may just be one of those shows that will have to grow on me, but I'm just not digging BD's show so far. The narration is part of it but not the only reason. I kept hearing how this was the "jazzy" BD of old but I'm not feeling it. I may feel different by the time I see them in Houston, though.

Like most of the recent BD shows, you have to keep an open mind, this is still early season so the show is no where near where they want it to be. As for the narration, I personally didn't enjoy it. Everything else (musically and visually) was very strong. After a few tweaks with the samples and of course your standard cleaning/adding to the drill/music, I think BD will have a chance at #15, but then again, I change my mind about who's going to win almost every hour.

SCV is looking very strong Visually and Musically. Someone I talked to said their marching tech inquest is like 90s cavaliers (not sure if it's true), and I have a feeling BD and SCV will be competing head to head in brass captions. I didn't really pay attention to their guard (didn't seam interesting to me personally). Overall, I think this will be a GREAT year for SCV.

Sadly, I wasnt able to catch BDC,SCVC or BDB perform.

Edited by Contra94

BD's horn book is boring.

Yes, I said it. Boring. I know Wayne Downey has about 100 years experience at this, but, outside of "Bird and Bela in B Flat" in the middle the show is terribly unmusical and plays more like an exercise and fundamentals experiment than an actual musical "show".

Other than that, the show is just about flawless. The visual design is incredible (favorite part for me is the block visually "fading" to backfield during the Sebesky). The percussion is smokin' (loved the battery solo and the little sideways hops at the end; this is the 2008 solo visuals improved upon, with less cheese and more "wow"). The guard is... BD's guard, what more needs be said?

By August, the execution level will be amazing, they'll be over 97.0 and in the Top 3, guaranteed.

But unless there are tremendous re-writes, the brass book (design, not execution) is very "meh." Again.

• Like 4

BDB and SCVC are going to be neck and neck.

BDB's hornline started off with a few mistakes in the first number but redeemed themself later on. SCVC had a very solid horn performance. Percussion wise I would say that BDB has the stronger line and also BDB color guard is better.

I think both with split a lot of captions (based on Saturday nights performance).

Am I the only person, who it's more than apparent to, that their is no "narration" in BD's show? It's simply sound effect. It helps to create mood, and color, texture. Your not supposed to focus in on the words. It's like a movie playing in the background. I will say their were certain parts where the "narration" becomes more important than other times. And the soundboard adjust to those moments. I'm sure that will be even further refined as the season goes on.

• Like 6

Am I the only person, who it's more than apparent to, that their is no "narration" in BD's show? It's simply sound effect. It helps to create mood, and color, texture. Your not supposed to focus in on the words. It's like a movie playing in the background. I will say their were certain parts where the "narration" becomes more important than other times. And the soundboard adjust to those moments. I'm sure that will be even further refined as the season goes on.

The problem for me becomes the unconscious focusing on trying to translate the words....distracting me from the show.

IF you have to have narration, it MUST support the show....Crown 07, Cadets 05, 'Coats 07-08....hell, even though I disliked the AMOUNT/overly preachy style of the narration, it DID support the 07 Cadets show.

'12 BD just seems like a distraction.

• Like 1

The problem for me becomes the unconscious focusing on trying to translate the words....distracting me from the show.

IF you have to have narration, it MUST support the show....Crown 07, Cadets 05, 'Coats 07-08....hell, even though I disliked the AMOUNT/overly preachy style of the narration, it DID support the 07 Cadets show.

'12 BD just seems like a distraction.

BD '05!

I still think that show had the best-performed narration we've seen in the activity so far, even if the script bothered people.

But yes, I think we should make a distinction between narration and a spoken backdrop. I think BD had a nice balance of it last year, with the echoes of the main song. I'm sure they'll figure it out this year.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Yes! When I first heard that there was a bunch of narration in French, I thought I was going to hate it, but I actually really like what they're doing with it!

I'll be honest: the first minute or two of the show, the constant voice-over noise was very, very distracting. But, with equal honesty: I hardly even noticed it for the rest of the show. If they just tweak the beginning a bit I think it will be fine.