Blue Devils Pre-Season Release

OK we have to do this! at 4:57 everyone yell as loud as you can "DA-DA!" I'll make a sign.

This show is so awesome I can't believe it.

I have been such a big fan of the da da movement since I was in my 20's. This is just the icing on the cake!

Great music, some of the voice, especially in the beginning was too far out there...

Some of this show is really likable, much better than last year! tongue.gif

• Like 1

My first listen left me wishing I could also see the visual components of the show. I basically like what I'm hearing, and am very curious as to how some of the more avant guard sections might be dealt with visually. The big jazz sound sections have the potential to be very exciting, especially coupled with what are some wonderfully lush segments. And, the total running time on the download stream says there is still room to add more and/ or build the closer into some pretty intense stuff. I' not very impressed with the vocal narrations, but then again, I've NEVER liked vocal narrations ( ... I believe in .. My rifle .. Yow-za! ). IMHO, (based entirely on the audio stream) there is the definite potential for this to be a very strong show, and one that a lot of fans will be happy with.

Yea I'm not a fan of samples at all! But if you know enough languages it explains what DA Da is.

I am really excited! and then I heard BDB's recording and have to say..worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif Wow! it's even better than A corps!

Yea I'm not a fan of samples at all! But if you know enough languages it explains what DA Da is.

I am really excited! and then I heard BDB's recording and have to say..worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif Wow! it's even better than A corps!

Actually, I heard the BDB's audio first. I like that better than any other music BDB has played! Gotta listen to it again, but that was pretty darned good.

So, I'm a little more excited each day...

Actually, I heard the BDB's audio first. I like that better than any other music BDB has played! Gotta listen to it again, but that was pretty darned good.

So, I'm a little more excited each day...

Well BDB is playing two of the most popular wind band pieces currently. Ecstatic Waters is an absolutely beautiful piece, and I wish i could play it everyday. And Kingfishers is a #### ton of fun. I was lucky to play both pieces in a concert at a PMEA conference in Hershey a couple years ago. Kingfishers has been done before, I think Boston did it in 08? And I think a few other corps. I don't know of Ecstatic waters though. But It's Steven Bryant's most popular piece right next to his "Suite Dreams"

But I'll be watching them closely this year... they sounded pretty good!

Just finished listening a few times. AWESOME! I'm looking forward to seeing the "pre-show". The background chants at the beginning sound like they get the crowd involved. Then, BAM! Hornline kicks in. The first 1 1/2 minutes is beautiful...lush, then, Mingus from 1996. Powerful. Then, my favorite part is Bird & Bela B Flat from 1991. Unreal hornline, and I can't wait to see with current BD visual package Gymnopedies is a strange take. Off balance, then a great hour riff sequence. Drum solo is really cool. Last piece on the recording is very jazzy/swing. Think it is the Elfman piece. I noticed Rhapsody in Blue on the rep. Not on the recording. My guess is the ending isn't cooked. Never is for BD at this point.

Very, very impressive. I think it will be a crowd pleaser. I'm starting to get this Dada theme, with the back forth between structure and chaos. Very, very powerful book. Can't sit to see the visual and guard interpretation. Definite contender for 15!

Edit: the beautiful piece near beginning is Morrison Mania by James Horner. Very nice playing and arrangement.

Edited by bgg80
  • Like 1

Listening now. Sounds like an opportunity for audience interaction at the beginning of the show. The opener's voiceover had me a little confused (I thought I had another track on in the background). When I realized it was just voice-over I settled down and it didn't really bother me. The opening lush material is great and caused some big time goosebumps. I LOVED the introduction of Children's Hour of Dream. Some great jazz and small ensemble stuff going on throughout the show.

Like other people have said, it does a good job of integrating melodic material with abstract material (which is what the show is about...so nice job!). I also think they'll be adding in another minute's worth of material. As it stands, the show time runs at just around 10 minutes. With some cuts, additions, and other changes that we all know are coming, this show will be cooking (would we expect anything else from this corps??). I really can't wait to see how they integrate the visual design with the music. I am really really excited for this show!!

One final thought...the quality of this recording is OUTSTANDING. Played it on my nice Bose 5.1 speakers and boy did every voice come through clearly. My house was ROCKIN' (to the disdain of the others in the house I'm sure).

Overall it sounds great (though the voicing for the opening bars from Harmonielehre sounded a little thin--sorry, I'm picky about my John Adams). I think using pre-recorded audio is distracting and somewhat embarrassing, but at least it's just used as noise, and not as narration or explanation. I would enjoy the music more without it, but whatevs.

The corps sounds incredible. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing the show when you guys hit the Midwest. :thumbup: