Cavaliers in Trouble?

Time to eat crow, several DCPers.

8th place with 88.850 makes this the Cavaliers' worst finish since 1983, when they were 9th place with 88.550.

For a corps that had five 1st place finishes last decade, and was 2nd just two years ago, this is CLEARLY a problem. They lost Fiedler 3ish years ago and Gaines this year, and (FOR NOW) the replacements are not working.

From here, do they search for a new identity, or keep trying to emulate their success in the 00s? How do you rebound from something like this??

• Like 2

Time to eat crow, several DCPers.

8th place with 88.850 makes this the Cavaliers' worst finish since 1983, when they were 9th place with 88.550.

For a corps that had five 1st place finishes last decade, and was 2nd just two years ago, this is CLEARLY a problem. They lost Fiedler 3ish years ago and Gaines this year, and (FOR NOW) the replacements are not working.

From here, do they search for a new identity, or keep trying to emulate their success in the 00s? How do you rebound from something like this??

It was a trainwreck. Period.

Drill still had the Cavalier look, but music and overall feel were....um.....off. The most disjointed Cavies show I can remember.

• Like 1

It was a trainwreck. Period.

Drill still had the Cavalier look, but music and overall feel were....um.....off. The most disjointed Cavies show I can remember.

Well when you're trying to continue to be an innovator, sometimes you're going to miss. And that's okay. They were just as clean as anyone else, just didn't have the show to continue forward.

• Like 2

I wouldn't overreact here. The Cavaliers will be fine. The current staff proved they could make changes an clean the show. They performed wonderfully the last few weeks of the season. Drill was not the issue despite not having Gaines. I think it came down to not having a music book that had the development and focus needed in a Cavalier production. They will be back. No duobt about it.

Edited by jwillis35

I for one would love to see them get saucedo back (and obviously Gaines), I'm not a big fan of saucedos original works but to me they define the cavaliers that I know from the 00's. Even though I dont care for his original stuff.... I do miss seeing THOSE cavaliers. Wouldn't an all original show be cool to see again? A'la four corners, frameworks and spin cycle?

And Gaines drill

• Like 2

Well when you're trying to continue to be an innovator, sometimes you're going to miss. And that's okay. They were just as clean as anyone else, just didn't have the show to continue forward.

So I, for one, will be very interested to see how they design for next year....

I have seen this written several times.... and I completely disagree.

Yes, their show design obviously had some issues, but that was definitely not the whole story. To my ears/eyes, they were no where near as clean as they usually are, and especially no where near top 6 performance levels. I even thought that Madison and Boston (and probably Spirit) were clearly cleaner than the Cavies, just that Cavies had much more demand, so I could see how they were competing with that group. Their percussion section was pretty tight, and the overall drill cleaned up pretty well, but there were many individual marching issues, and tons of musical issues (intonation, attacks/releases, timing, balance, etc....) that we never hear from the Cavies. Hopefully they get it sorted out and this poor (by their standards) finish doesn't hurt their future quality of auditioners.

• Like 2

The biggest problem I thought was the musical book. If I could do any staff change I would start with there. I really enjoyed the ballad section (and yesterday at rehearsal,staff even said it was the most well received of the show) but thought the rest was not up to par with a cavalier show.

Edited by GREENBLUE