Thoughts on Crown 2012 after watching VOD fro Louisville

the rotating cube near the end is hot!

everything else, meh.. right now anyway. we

+1...that rotating cube is awesome. I said the same thing in the theater.

Everything else, meh.

I really like the show, even with all the dirt. I know next to nothing about guard and percussion, so I have no idea if this is a championship contender. That said, I really, really wish they would cut some of the dance/roll around on the ground/body movement stuff and march straight up more. I have never really been a fan, and it is (to me) distracting. I didn't like it in Star '93, and I still don't.

Yeah, I am old. What of it??? :tongue:

• Like 6

Their brass book is hands down the most awesome thing on the field. If they can clean it, people will be listening to it forever, they way they do shows like Star 90. And I thought their drill was improved and plenty difficult. Maybe too difficult, but time will tell.

Overall, though, their show was a pretty solid "meh" for me. There are definite pacing problems, there's almost no color, the guard is invisible, and the whole transformation from super hero to common man was a complete non-event in the movie theater. I love the music Crown does, and I'd love for them to win a championship with that music, but this vehicle looked like yet another year lacking the elusive design "it".

Hope I have to eat my words in August!

• Like 1

It's amazing how people react differently to different corps. When Phantom had their really hard drill in 2010, I don't recall everyone jumping up and saying they were "trying too hard to win."

Actually, I remember more than a few comments on these forums about Phantom's 2010 drill being unnecessarily difficult: motion for its own sake rather than in support of the music or emotion. If nobody said Phantom was "trying too hard to win", that was because they weren't seen as contenders that year.

That said, based more on the Louisville Video-On-Demand than on the Akron Cine-Cast, I enjoy this year's Crown drill very much (apart from the pointless body movement that others have also decried) and expect to enjoy it even more when it's cleaned.

I was very surprised by all the running around in the drill, some of which looked like it was there just for the sake of it being there. I liked the rotating cube as well. Star of Indiana did that in their Disney show in 1985.

I personally would prefer more variety in the music and in the colors. Fanfare is a great piece, but the same 12 notes over and over gets monotonous. I didn't expect the whole show to be filled with it.

I get that the idea is they are all unified at the end but I don't get why that means everything has to be one color. Perhaps they are experimenting.

If they win this year, which I think they could, I will be very happy to see some new blood in the championship ranks.

I’m glad they came out with a difficult show, if they can’t get it to where they want it, they can always water it down. So what’s the big deal?

It will be interesting to watch.

Use to be corps started with difficult shows and watered down to clean towards finals somewhere the trend shifted to starting with simpler shows that were beefed up towards finals. I’m curious how judges will react because it does seem they often judge the entire season and not the show in front of them – maybe the sheets will favor what Crowns trying to attempt this year

They are definitely a top tier corps now. No getting past that but this show just left me feeling like they are trying to be the cadets with cadets jr type design? Maybe that's a bit harsh but I just can't put my finger on it. The show left me flat where Phantom, Bluecoats, and Cadets definitely did not.

• Like 2

Only saw the VOD, but they were hands down the best package in Louisville. Will it be the same in Indy 2 months from now? Who knows, but IMHO they need to fix a couple of things - the biggest one being the guard costuming. The costumes might make the "super heros" look like "Common men", but the drill missed the mark in that endeavor. It's just stock guard staging, and when combined with similar colors, it just looks cluttered. What's interesting about clutter? Change the costumes or rewrite the beginning drill.

The most frustrating thing about watching this corps is that they'll have moments of the show that are spectacular, and then they'll just forget about everything in between.

Also, to the OP, who on their staff is from Avon other than Matt Harloff? I didn't realize they were so closely related??

Did anyone catch the super hero formation? Maybe I was on drugs, but I swear they made a stick figure outline of a super hero.

• Like 2