Thoughts on Crown 2012 after watching VOD fro Louisville

I watched the Louisville VODs and had an interesting reaction to watching Carolina Crown. I will caveat this post by saying that they have a supreme brass sound and a very demanding show. That being said, I felt like I was watching an Avon high school marching band show. They have the same monochromatic look that Avon typically presents as well as using a classical 'standard' that is a common thread for their show. I know much of their staff also works with Avon during the band season and that is fine, I know that is the case for most corps.

I just feel that this show has an aura of trying too hard to win. As a Cadet alumnus, I would compare it to 1997 when the Cadets came out and played more notes than everyone, ran further than everyone, and tossed higher than everyone, but ultimately could not compete with a very conceptual BD corps doing a Casablanca show.

Thoughts?? can we expect the same this season with BD vs. Crown. What about SCV, Phantom, and Cadets...

• Like 9

Totally agree! What I kept thinking was 'They're trying to get in as much drill as possible during the time allowed"...almost like a pinball machine gone astray. Don't try so hard! You've got a great hornline, so let them be showcased, not run around the field like guinea pigs!

• Like 3

I can understand what you're saying to an extent. My impression was that the drill looked frantic. My hope is that they will settle into the drill over time.

It almost seemed like the case in 2009 with Grass/Greener. Except this one, they are running all over the place. On the other hand, the drill is still better than last year's drill.

And it's a lot better than 2nd Chance in 2010, where they did a whole lot of not moving around - so I expect that people would be open to kids running all over the field.

Maybe it IS too much, though...but in any case, I still enjoyed it, and can't wait to see the finished product come August.

• Like 2

I've heard this statement before, and I don't get it. Why bring up the Avon thing, when you know the instructional staff tries to make the Avon program as close to a corps experience as possible. So I'd say the opposite and say, "Man, that Avon program is bringing some amazing Drum Corps quality shows to the field!"

Back to the MAIN topic of this thread! This show is very difficult, and has left their opening performances seeming "dirty" and "frantic" compared to their competition. I feel this show is ambitious and will take them to a medal come season end. Give this corps a few more weeks and I know this corps will take this show far and visa versa!

• Like 3

I watched the Louisville VODs and had an interesting reaction to watching Carolina Crown. I will caveat this post by saying that they have a supreme brass sound and a very demanding show. That being said, I felt like I was watching an Avon high school marching band show. They have the same monochromatic look that Avon typically presents as well as using a classical 'standard' that is a common thread for their show. I know much of their staff also works with Avon during the band season and that is fine, I know that is the case for most corps.

I just feel that this show has an aura of trying too hard to win. As a Cadet alumnus, I would compare it to 1997 when the Cadets came out and played more notes than everyone, ran further than everyone, and tossed higher than everyone, but ultimately could not compete with a very conceptual BD corps doing a Casablanca show.

Thoughts?? can we expect the same this season with BD vs. Crown. What about SCV, Phantom, and Cadets...

It's amazing how people react differently to different corps. When Phantom had their really hard drill in 2010, I don't recall everyone jumping up and saying they were "trying too hard to win." And REALLY? Trying too hard?? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Totally agree! What I kept thinking was 'They're trying to get in as much drill as possible during the time allowed"...almost like a pinball machine gone astray. Don't try so hard! You've got a great hornline, so let them be showcased, not run around the field like guinea pigs!

I understand what you’re saying. I personally don’t like when something is done “Because we can” syndrome.

But on that note- what do you see in your mind visually when you hear this piece of music? I think the drill is a very good visual representation of the music and nothing short of hauling ### was going to work. Could you imagine the same music with big sweeping forms, follow the leaders and scatter drill at a 8 or 9 to 5 step size?

Is it dirty, incomplete and difficult right now- yes to them all. But that’s also what makes the summer so much fun watching these programs grow and mature over the course of the summer.

• Like 4

I agree with the OP on several key issues, but many of you have very valid points. It's too early to really tell with any of these shows just yet, so all we can do is review them for what they are in their present state.

I listened to Crown's opener on Youtube yesterday and all I can say is I love the music and it is certainly one of the more demanding horn books out there. It does remind me of Cadets 97 (with some of the crazy licks), with some of the subtleties of Cadets 1988 thrown in there (Copland's 3rd Symphony). By the way, Michael Klesch arranged that 1988 show for the Cadets as well. The music is very transparent, and that will take time to clean and flesh out the GE impacts.

Visually, the drill is very good, but I want the guard to be more present which I feel will not happen until they are in different unis with different flags. They just need some color. Finally, they need to flesh out the total show impacts which I believ will happen as they clean.

Overall, I'd say they will be to 3 and it would not surprise me if they won this year. Great corps and I love that they are trying to win. Nothing wrong with that. You can never try too hard! Looking forward to seeing them again.