Blue Devils show

quote name='NR_Ohiobando' timestamp='1340246791' post='3152594']

<SNIP>

Other thoughts?

I like waffles. :tongue:

By presenting to us a show that is incredibly coordinated and structured down to every last drill set and foot movement, aren't the Blue Devils entirely missing the point of the Dada movement?

Other thoughts?

Well, since the Dada movement rejected reason and logic, it would be quite unreasonable and most illogical for the corps to come out with a tightly structured show, out-Dada-ing Dada. It's really quite brilliant in concept. Turn Dada on its head by structuring it...the one thing a Dadaist wouldn't see coming. Think about it, or don't...the Dadaists don't care. They'll be scratching their heads that Blue Devils did the ultimate Dada on Dada itself. It's like a recursive image in reflecting mirrors. It's so Dada to the nth degree that one can't see where it ends and an alternate reality begins.

Which brings me to the old joke: How many Surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb? A fish.

Okay, so Surrealists and Dadaists aren't exactly the same thing, but I choose to celebrate Dadaism by choosing to blur the line is distinction, or the wavy dotted line of indistinction. You say "indistinction" isn't a word? Tell that to a Dadaist!

Score: Blue Devils, an egg. Dadaism, a chicken.

• Like 4

Well, since the Dada movement rejected reason and logic, it would be quite unreasonable and most illogical for the corps to come out with a tightly structured show, out-Dada-ing Dada. It's really quite brilliant in concept. Turn Dada on its head by structuring it...the one thing a Dadaist wouldn't see coming. Think about it, or don't...the Dadaists don't care. They'll be scratching their heads that Blue Devils did the ultimate Dada on Dada itself. It's like a recursive image in reflecting mirrors. It's so Dada to the nth degree that one can't see where it ends and an alternate reality begins.

Which brings me to the old joke: How many Surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb? A fish.

Okay, so Surrealists and Dadaists aren't exactly the same thing, but I choose to celebrate Dadaism by choosing to blur the line is distinction, or the wavy dotted line of indistinction. You say "indistinction" isn't a word? Tell that to a Dadaist!

Right on! I figured you would get it. I think it's a great show. Exciting and fun.

Actually a dadaist would see it coming, unfortunately, because it was the exact thing the entire movement was seeking to break away from. So it's really not brilliant at all in concept.

The drumline sounds nice!

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes. This!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

!!

Dude. Nothing is as played out as Malaguena (says the fan of Malaguena, love that chart.)

Birdland comes to mind. Music from West Side Story. But yeah, Malaguena, Malaga, heard 'em a few times. :satisfied:

Well, the Dada movement rejected reason and logic

They'd feel right at home then with us here on DCP. ( haha!)

• Like 1

Waiting to see the show tonight but couldn't help noticing all this talk about improvised drill. Sure, it might be possible but it certainly would not be recommended for any corps that wants to win. If the drill is improvised, how are judges supposed to score it? How can you judge whether mistakes are made if it's going to be different every time? There's no exposure to error, no risk. No risk = lower scores. If there was ever any corps in this thing to win every year, it's the Blue Devils. My take on it when I saw the music listing though was not to get my hopes up. The number of pieces listed, crammed into an approximately 11 minute show means we will hear less than 60 seconds of anything. Now I hear there's talking in the show. Not judging yet. Keeping an open mind until tonight. But the worst show I ever saw from them (and they'd been my favorite since I first saw them in 1976) was "Dance Derby of the Century" with all that distracting voiceover. Very happy they immediately shut off the mikes the next year and kept them off. But they are clearly not the Blue Devils they used to be. The talent level, the performance level, all there. Stylisticly though? Unrecognizable anymore.

Like the percussion section backfield, and then "sneaking back in" while playing at the conclusion of the ballad. A worn-out cliche'... IMO.

well, and looking around the rep list for DCI corps this year, it seems "the music of dead white guys" is still a major player too. Hmm, weren't electronics going to open us up to all of these new wonderful current musical options?

(insert sarcasm here)