Stanford Live!

A quick question from last night.

Has Vanguard's opening announcement always been show title first, loooooong pasue, drum major next, corps announcement to finish it? Or was that an error of timing on Crocker's part? It just seemed so....backwards. :tongue:

I think it was on both ends? I think the way they have it planned is that the corps announcement will come right before they turn around and blast out the Jupiter theme, but I don't think there should have been the big pauses. It will probably get cleaned over the course of the season, kind of like how Crown has been doing their announcements the last few years

I wanted to see what reactions were last night to all corps especially my beloved BK. Since the show hasn't had a warm reception here I was nervous to see it... I agree that some synth stuff can be changed/taken out and a few big hits in the opener added but I feel this is a very challenging and good show over all. It's so dirty it's really hard to say what it could place but it has mad potential. Brass is a bit raw at times but is moving very fast most of the time. It will take time for them to get the proper endurance but they will. The double tounguing lick in opener is way cool, and the Drumline is smoking. With a little addition and subtraction this show has mad potential. Sorry to hear many if you do not care for it, but maybe that will change as they clean up and get further down the road. By the by the closer and closer drill is amazing, love the blund twisting moves that revolve into the final Firebird set. Enjoyed Boston last night, great music and I'll watch the rest of Stanford tonight.

Wes P

• Like 1

Double post sorry

Edited by wesleyrp

After watching the replay two times this morning/afternoon, what a show. Usually I have a few shows I really don't like, but these past few years have been pretty ###### impressive for entertainment value for me (again, your mileage may vary). Between seeing the Akron show at the theater and Stanford on FN, bravo to all of the corps, continue going in this entertaining direction.

Anyone know if DCI will be offering APDs for this show?

Overall, :thumbup:

Edited by cajal

I just wanted to add that it is not true BD got a tepid response last night. They got a lot of love from the home crowd. Their show is very entertaining. I brought my 73 year old mom to the show and she loved BD's production. I thought the spread between BD and Phantom would be less than a point because BD was pretty sloppy while Phantom was quite crisp, but I believe the judges got the order right. SCV was the biggest disappointment for me last night since I had such high hopes based on reviews from last week.

why isn't it good enough that some of us already do?

I'm glad that you enjoy their shows. The problem, though, is that BD keeps winning and/or finishing very high with shows that a lot of people don't understand, and therefore don't enjoy. Over time, other corps will start to implement the things they're doing in the interest of finishing higher in the standings. When that happens, I think DCI loses. For one, we lose the diversity that has been cited as a beautiful thing. For another, we lose audience. In the past several years, every show I've seen in public (both in theaters and live) where BD has performed, they've received cold receptions. The response at Standford seems to have been mixed. That's not the kind of excitement that builds a fan base for the activity as a whole.

So to make a long post short (too late), it's not good enough because I see it as a potential long-term danger to the activity as a whole.

Why the certainty that a new person won't like their show?

Because every time I've shown a recent BD production (excepting 1930) to new people (via the FanNetwork), I've gotten a collective, "What the...?" from them.

And: You're not stupid... or, if you are, then I must be all kinds of dumb for not really understanding the appeal of the Cadets last year, because that show's theme was obvious and yet i still don't entirely see the point. :doh:

Thanks for the compliment. Cadets last year wasn't my favorite show (especially with the annoying vocal samples), but I "got it" and appreciated the way it illustrated a theme. I'm fine with a corps choosing not to have a theme, but if they pick one, they'd better live up to it. And in either case, I want to hear great brass and percussion play excellent music while executing amazing drill. If I want dance, I'll go to the ballet. If I want strings and woodwinds, I'll find a wind ensemble or orchestra. That isn't what Drum Corps is about, and it bothers me that people are so deadset on changing what has made drum corps so exciting for so long. BD is a part of that (along with many other corps). Hopkins' woodwinds rants are a part of that. Synths are a part of that.

So, when I see a corps "pushing the envelope" by fundamentally changing what I see as the inherent beauty of drum corps, I'm going to say something about it. Others are free to disagree. They may even like what they see (I love orchestras, wind ensembles, and dance--just not in Drum Corps). Each person makes their own choices and shares their own feelings. I'm just sharing mine as well.

• Like 3

Then what shows are on your "get it" list?

Here are some favorites

Cavies' S pin Cycle, Frameworks, Niagara Falls, Machine, XtraordinarY (I'm an admitted Cavies fan)

Bluecoats Imagine, Seasons of Jazz (1998)

SCV Moto Perpetuo (one of my favorite theme shows of all time), Ballet for Martha

BAC Revolution, RED

PR Spartacus (such a great story to watch on the field!)

Glassmen Beethoven (2006) (the "going deaf" effect is one of the best effects I've ever seen/heard)

Cadets An American Revival (still makes me cry), We Are the Future (2000), Our Favorite Things, The Big Apple

BD Gangster Chronicle, Casablanca, Rhythms at the Edge of Time

Magic 12 Seconds to the Moon

These are all shows that I understood the first time I saw them (no extra reading required), but that intrigued me. They made me want to find out more. And as I go back and watch/listen to them again and again, I find new details that make them even more interesting. It's a balance. Immediate connection and effect leads to long-term interest. If you miss the first step, what person new to the activity (or old to the activity) is going to say, "you know, I didn't get that show, but I'm going to spend a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why it's amazing." Most people simply aren't willing to give that kind of time to something they know little about other than, "well that was weird."

• Like 1

I wanted to see what reactions were last night to all corps especially my beloved BK. Since the show hasn't had a warm reception here I was nervous to see it... I agree that some synth stuff can be changed/taken out and a few big hits in the opener added but I feel this is a very challenging and good show over all. It's so dirty it's really hard to say what it could place but it has mad potential. Brass is a bit raw at times but is moving very fast most of the time. It will take time for them to get the proper endurance but they will. The double tounguing lick in opener is way cool, and the Drumline is smoking. With a little addition and subtraction this show has mad potential. Sorry to hear many if you do not care for it, but maybe that will change as they clean up and get further down the road. By the by the closer and closer drill is amazing, love the blund twisting moves that revolve into the final Firebird set. Enjoyed Boston last night, great music and I'll watch the rest of Stanford tonight.

Wes P

I so badly wanted to enjoy this show like I did the last 2 seasons. It's not a complete snooze fest but that entire pre-show should be eliminated. The whole prancing around the field to obnoxious pre recorded amplified stuff is a really bad way to start a drum corps show.

• Like 1

Just like we hated the geometrical drill that the brilliant Cavaliers brought us in the early 2000s, right?

Actually, the first time I saw their geometrical drill, I was hooked. It's what I live for (and one of the reasons their show in the theater disappointed me--the camera man wouldn't back out far enough to see the drill, so I thought they just hadn't put any in. When I saw it from the high camera on the FN, I realized that there is more "classic" Cavies drill there than I thought.)

And to this day, when I show videos of that kind of drill (whether from the Cavies or someone else), people get excited. Stylized dance moves (again, whether from BD, Cavies, or anyone else)? Not so much.

I so badly wanted to enjoy this show like I did the last 2 seasons. It's not a complete snooze fest but that entire pre-show should be eliminated. The whole prancing around the field to obnoxious pre recorded amplified stuff is a really bad way to start a drum corps show.

It reminded me of the Cavaliers' start to Firebird in 1997, with sound effects instead of chanting. I love A&E, and I really like creative use of sound effects, but what BK is doing is just not good at all.