How weak is the Cavies Show?

After Ft. Mill last night, the Cavaliers fell to 9th place in the Monday column of my weekly rankings, behind the Scouts (7th) and Spirit (8th). But the Cavaliers are still a point and a half ahead of the Crusaders (10th), so I simply don't see them dropping any further even in a "worst case scenario" type of season.

I could. And I don't see why not. Why CAN'T the Cavs fall to 10th or lower ? ( not saying they will ). Why can't Boston, Spirit, Madison, beat the Cavs when it gets to Championship week this season ? Why judge a Corps off what they might have done in the past ? I could see Cavs anywhere from in 5th to 11th place this year, just as easily as I could see these other Corps in 5th to 11th place at Finals too. I see no reason at all why these Corps can't be expected to beat the Cavs this year, anymore than I could see the Cavs coming on strong and separating themselves from the middle to lower middle of the pack in the top 12 too. Until we get to the Regionals and Corps have had ample time to put in a ton of new stuff they have planned, and to clean and polish, etc and we get full panels, head to head match ups, etc, anything is possible it seems to me... and as it should be, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

There have been some great comments from everyone so far on this subject. We seem to have a year developing where anything can happen in the top 10 corps. This is a great thing for the activity.

As for the cleaning, there is a lot to clean for many of the top corps (including Crown). The comments stating that Crown will peak too early would mean they are going to accept a dirty show. I seriously doubt that will happen.

I have only seen these shows online and look forward to seeing them in person soon. The Cavies show just doesn't come over well on video and I hope that it is a different story when I see it live. My kids were losing interest watching the Cavies show this year just like they lost interest in the Blue Devils show last year. That is not a good thing for a corps that has been one of the shows that they looked forward to seeing over the past decade or so.

Let's keep this thread going and see how the show progresses throughout the summer.

Why CAN'T the Cavs fall to 10th or lower? (Not saying they will.) Why can't Boston, Spirit, Madison, beat the Cavs when it gets to Championship week this season? Why judge a Corps off what they might have done in the past? I could see Cavs anywhere from in 5th to 11th place this year, just as easily as I could see these other Corps in 5th to 11th place at Finals too. I see no reason at all why these Corps can't be expected to beat the Cavs this year, anymore than I could see the Cavs coming on strong and separating themselves from the middle to lower middle of the pack in the top 12 too. Until we get to the Regionals, and Corps have had ample time to put in a ton of new stuff they have planned, and to clean and polish, etc., and we get full panels, head-to-head match-ups, etc., anything is possible it seems to me... and that's as it should be, imo.

I think hostrauser was just making his best off-the-cuff prediction based on all the drum corps number-crunching he's done over the years. Sure, anything's possible, but barring some catastrophic changes at a given corps, there is probably some range limit beyond which it's exceedingly unlikely to see a corps' rank move. You yourself don't predict Cavaliers any lower than 11th, eight places lower than they finished last year: is that because you had in mind Phantom Regiment's slip from 1st in 2008 to 9th in 2009? Hostrauser presumably sees that example as an outlier. If history is no guide, why can't the Cavs finish 15th this year?

And Crown Could be peaking way too soon, like the Bluecoats a few years ago. Drumcorps is about taking an idea and rewriting it over and over till the judges like it and it fits the show style just right. Didn't the scouts do all new drill before Atlanta three or four years ago? No worries until Aug. then if your still tankin your going to TANK.

If this is happening, it would not be the first time I believe.

Ummmmmmm.....no. They're so far from clean that 'peaking' is the last of their concerns right now.

Not to mention I saw this in a tweet today: "New drill!"

I could. And I don't see why not. Why CAN'T the Cavs fall to 10th or lower ? ( not saying they will ). Why can't Boston, Spirit, Madison, beat the Cavs when it gets to Championship week this season ? Why judge a Corps off what they might have done in the past ? I could see Cavs anywhere from in 5th to 11th place this year, just as easily as I could see these other Corps in 5th to 11th place at Finals too. I see no reason at all why these Corps can't be expected to beat the Cavs this year, anymore than I could see the Cavs coming on strong and separating themselves from the middle to lower middle of the pack in the top 12 too. Until we get to the Regionals and Corps have had ample time to put in a ton of new stuff they have planned, and to clean and polish, etc and we get full panels, head to head match ups, etc, anything is possible it seems to me... and as it should be, imo.

The dice have no memory, huh Brasso? Cool theory.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending your point of view) C.I. *does* have a memory. ph34r.gif

My (admittedly highly biased) assessment is that the Cavaliers are going to seriously perform their show by the end of the season, and that that will place them higher than the corps around whom they are scoring right now.

I'd put money on the fact that they will place higher than Boston, Spirit, Madison, actually. But that's just my intuition and bias talking. Anything could happen, of course.

Edited by JayM

Things must aways be as things have always been!

Things must aways be as things have always been!

Nah, it's more interesting otherwise. But, ya gotta defend/support the home team, right?

If history is no guide, why can't the Cavs finish 15th this year?

There is the possible... but then there is the near impossible. That was my point. Hoff said here that the " worst case scenario" was Cavs in 9th. I think worse case scenario for them could be 10th or 11th, thats all. ( I also said 5th for them seems " possible " in my comments above too. You believe that its" possible" that Cavs could finish " 15th ". That seems to cross over into the " impossible realm " in my opinion. I also think that Cavs winning DCI this year is also in the " impossible realm " too. So my projection of 5th to 11th for them seems " possible " and is a pretty wide range it would seem to me in an activity where most years Corps tend not to move up or down in any given year more than 2 or 3 positions from their previous year's placement. I do believe 2012 COULD be an outlier year for the Cavs, and said as much above.

Edited by BRASSO

My (admittedly highly biased) assessment is that the Cavaliers are going to seriously perform their show by the end of the season, and that that will place them higher than the corps around whom they are scoring right now.

I'd put money on the fact that they will place higher than Boston, Spirit, Madison, actually. But that's just my intuition and bias talking. Anything could happen, of course.

Well, with history and pedigree on their side ( and more experienced marchers in their ranks in their Corps on the whole ) you could make some money betting on the Cavs finishing ahead of these Corps. One would have to consider them the lead horse in this horse race in this grouping. But I'll play the long odds horses here and bet that Boston or Spirit or Madison will catch and beat the Cavs this year at Finals in a surprise upset. But like you said " anything could happen, of course ".

Edited by BRASSO