How weak is the Cavies Show?

Just about every corps I can think of, with the exception of BD, has an "off year" now and then. This may be the off year for the Cavaliers. Then again I would never count them completely out of anything. The comments I have been hearing and reading thus far have not been exactly complimentary. Time will tell. It's early yet.

Just about every corps I can think of, with the exception of BD, has an "off year" now and then. This may be the off year for the Cavaliers. Then again I would never count them completely out of anything. The comments I have been hearing and reading thus far have not been exactly complimentary. Time will tell. It's early yet.

1991-93? 2005? Some would count 1998? Everyone has off years, even BD. They are not exclusive. Cavaliers will be fine, there are things more important to that corps than winning.

• Like 1

And Crown Could be peaking way too soon, like the Bluecoats a few years ago. Drumcorps is about taking an idea and rewriting it over and over till the judges like it and it fits the show style just right. Didn't the scouts do all new drill before Atlanta three or four years ago? No worries until Aug. then if your still tankin your going to TANK.

The OP mentioned the top 8 and the potential of not being part of the TOC. Look, it could happen. None of us know for sure, but this is the realization that we all need to understand. If we want other corps to get better, and if we desire a little more competition for the top 5 from corps that traditionally are not there, then some corps currently in the top 5 is likely to lose their spot. Eventually some big-name units that have been traditional top 3, top 6 finishers will be beaten by other challengers and they will find themselves in 7, 8, even 9th place. When this eventually happens to our corps, if it does, we will have to accept that it may not be the show or the quality of the performance of our favorite corps, but it may simply be that someone else simply beat them.

Very well said.

1991-93? 2005? Some would count 1998? Everyone has off years, even BD. They are not exclusive. Cavaliers will be fine, there are things more important to that corps than winning.

Interesting take...with the high standards set by BD a year in which they win quarterfinals and finish in 3rd place less than a point behind is considered a down year for them.

• Like 2

Just too early to tell with any corps, not just the Cavaliers. Shows can sometimes take a while to develop and clean. The Cavaliers definitely have a show this year that needs some edits, some major tweaking, and in other areas just some old fashioned cleaning. Let's see what they do with it.

The OP mentioned the top 8 and the potential of not being part of the TOC. Look, it could happen. None of us know for sure, but this is the realization that we all need to understand. If we want other corps to get better, and if we desire a little more competition for the top 5 from corps that traditionally are not there, then some corps currently in the top 5 is likely to lose their spot. Eventually some big-name units that have been traditional top 3, top 6 finishers will be beaten by other challengers and they will find themselves in 7, 8, even 9th place. When this eventually happens to our corps, if it does, we will have to accept that it may not be the show or the quality of the performance of our favorite corps, but it may simply be that someone else simply beat them.

Spirit, Bluecoats, and Boston have all come to play this year, and Madison is good and will get better. BD seems to be off and running, Crown is good, and The Cadets looked excellent to me in Akron. Phantom has a special show that could be killer...perhaps even top 2 worthy. SCV is better, and Bue Knights will be heard from. Let's face it, that's a lot of good competition. A lot of this will come down to show design, show construction, and overall GE.

Yup.. These would be my sentiments too.

After Ft. Mill last night, the Cavaliers fell to 9th place in the Monday column of my weekly rankings, behind the Scouts (7th) and Spirit (8th). But the Cavaliers are still a point and a half ahead of the Crusaders (10th), so I simply don't see them dropping any further even in a "worst case scenario" type of season.

Surveying the recaps, the Cavaliers' overall GE scores are at the same level as Vanguard (6th) and the Scouts right now, and GE is usually the best indicator of "show strength." Where Rosemont is getting crushed right now is in the Visual and Musical Analysis sub-captions, what used to be Visual and Musical Ensemble. I haven't seen the show in person, but based on the judges' scores it appears the show is still dirty as all get-out and hasn't gelled just yet.

I don't see this show making a 180 and vaulting all the way to 2nd place like in 2010. But I don't think there's any chance they end the season 9th like they are right now, either. The 2012 Cavaliers will finish somewhere in the 4th-7th place range. If I had to bet money, it would be on 5th or 6th.

They are an old corps with a strong organization. Even if they do fall below 4th which I doubt will happen I have no doubt they will be back strong soon.

• Like 1