How weak is the Cavies Show?

I've been hoping for a new ending. Honestly, I think that's the big piece this show is missing. The reason the fans aren't going crazy for it is that it doesn't have much of the classic "Green Machine" drill. There are a couple of hints at it during the pre-show, and one substantial bit about halfway through on the right side of the field. But the ending is kinda boring. If they rewrite it with a classic Cavies ending, I think you'll see people throwing babies. They may not end up in 2nd, but I think that alone would keep them in the TOC.

That is kind of up to the style of the drill writer. If he can't produce drill like Michael Gaines, then he shouldn't copy it - he should just be himself (talking about Hinshaw).

Clearly cavaliers are trying to push the activity a new direction. Maybe they are the new Hopkins?

A lot of cynics (including me) have pointed out that the current rules would seem to make it legal to have 148 guard on the field dancing, while having a couple of pit folks coordinating the synth/loop/sample playing. That's definitely what came to my mind during the no-drums, no-brass, no-pit pre-recorded dance break. :shutup:

• Like 1

I agree with the previous poster. Sure, Cavaliers will get better as the season goes along. However, the corps in front of them will get better too. It's not like those corps are going to roll over now! And, as for the Scouts not beating the Cavies down the stretch. We must remember that they also have a deep history, tradition, and pride. And, now unlike in recent years, they have the staff.

• Like 1

A lot of cynics (including me) have pointed out that the current rules would seem to make it legal to have 148 guard on the field dancing, while having a couple of pit folks coordinating the synth/loop/sample playing

Except for the whole Music Effect, Brass, Percussion, Music Analysis, Visual Effect to an extent and Visual Proficiency & Analysis :rolleyes:

I know it's easy to make gross over generalizations and spout idiotic rhetoric when we're taking about stuff we don't like, but you can make a FAR better argument than the above, can't you?

Mehhhh...I wouldn't hit any panic buttons about placements and scores till maybe San Antonio. They still have oceans of time to clean, and rewrite. If memory serves, Bluecoats in 2007 beat both The Cavaliers, and Blue Devils at the same show early season, and they finished the season in 7th, below Carolina Crown's best finish (at the time) of 6th.

Just another person saying, that anything can happen.

Edited by WesmanDCI

I agree with the previous poster. Sure, Cavaliers will get better as the season goes along. However, the corps in front of them will get better too. It's not like those corps are going to roll over now! And, as for the Scouts not beating the Cavies down the stretch. We must remember that they also have a deep history, tradition, and pride. And, now unlike in recent years, they have the staff.

In 1988, the Cavaliers were struggling with "Firebird". This was the first season they did this music. The guard was very young and was struggling with not only the work, but also getting to their sets in the drill. It was also the first season that they had a different arranger. Cavies were getting beat by several corps including Bluecoats. With hard work, and several music edits and drill rewrites, they moved up to finish 5th. With the talent and staff they have, never count them out at finishing strong. Maybe they won't win, but I predict they will finish much higher than a lot of you predict.

I know some of you will say that the other corps are working just as hard, good staff, etc. But, the Cavaliers are well known for their work ethic. So, sit back and enjoy all of the corps. And regarding Cavaliers, don't be so critical. These guys are 18-21 year old trying to have the summer of their life. Please allow them to enjoy their season!

I know it's easy to make gross over generalizations and spout idiotic rhetoric when we're taking about stuff we don't like, but you can make a FAR better argument than the above, can't you?

I wasn't trying to lay out an argument against electronics, I just said that when they stopped playing and the whole corps danced to pre-recorded music, it made me think about the times I'd facetiously commented here worrying that corps might just dance to pre-recorded music and call that a show. :rolleyes:

Except for the whole Music Effect, Brass, Percussion, Music Analysis, Visual Effect to an extent and Visual Proficiency & Analysis :rolleyes:

Brass and Percussion are the only categories that might be affected. So you add a drummer and a trumpet soloist, and just have 146 guard.