How weak is the Cavies Show?

If anyone knows...I'm just curious...Has there ever been a case where a corps completely SCRAPPED their entire drill from June FOR WHATEVER REASON and started OVER in July moving forward for the same season because the drill/show just wasn't working for them competitively?

1986 Sky Ryders

First tour drill was not good. To be fair, the drill designer was hired about a week before spring training started, so he didn't really have time to write a stellar product. The entire drill was scrapped, and we learned a completely new dril between first tour and second tour. We came out second tour much better and more competitive. We finished 9th that year. Without the drill changes, who knows where we would have placed. But I doubt we would have made finals.

Cavaliers score compared to Blue Stars...

6/16 = +4.85

7/03 = +2.40

Cavaliers score compared to Bluecoats...

6/16 = -0.25

7/03 = -3.90

Cavaliers score compared to Madison Scouts...

6/29 = -1.10

7/03 = -2.10

Cavaliers score compared to Spirit of Atlanta...

6/20 = +3.90

7/03 = +0.50

These are all head-to-head, at same show comparisons, mind you.

I think the fact the Cavaliers are trailing the Bluecoats and Madison Scouts isn't NEARLY as big of a concern as the fact that they are losing ground against almost every corps they have been in direct competition with. And you can say "oh, it's only June" or "oh, it's only early July" all you want, but time is running out... fast.

The season is already one-third over. 18 days down, 39 to go. And 7th or 8th place is looking more likely by the day. :huh2:

• Like 3

6/16 = +4.85

7/03 = +2.40

6/16 = -0.25

7/03 = -3.90

6/29 = -1.10

7/03 = -2.10

6/20 = +3.90

7/03 = +0.50

I think the fact the Cavaliers are trailing the Bluecoats and Madison Scouts isn't NEARLY as big of a concern as the fact that they are losing ground against almost every corps they have been in direct competition with. And you can say "oh, it's only June" or "oh, it's only early July" all you want, but time is running out... fast.

The season is already one-third over. 18 days down, 39 to go. And 7th or 8th place is looking more likely by the day. :huh2:

thats it....unleash the drama hounds and fold em.

people have been #####ing on here for 10 years about the need for parity and new faces...and now we may be seeing some of that and people are fraking out about it.

this place is insane

• Like 6

people have been #####ing on here for 10 years about the need for parity and new faces...and now we may be seeing some of that and people are freaking out about it.

this place is insane

what-we-do.jpg

:rolleyes:

people have been #####ing on here for 10 years about the need for parity and new faces...and now we may be seeing some of that and people are fraking out about it.

this place is insane

Arg, I accidentally downvoted you when I meant to upvote you. Sorry, Jeff.

Garfield Cadets completely rewrote their entire show from beginning to end visually and ended up fourth place in 1988. They started the re-writes early in the season, however, and practiced insane hours doing it, and had really strong percussion scores that season, as well as good brass scores, to boost their placement.

6/16 = +4.85

7/03 = +2.40

6/16 = -0.25

7/03 = -3.90

6/29 = -1.10

7/03 = -2.10

6/20 = +3.90

7/03 = +0.50

" 7th or 8th place ( for The 2012 version of The Cavaliers ) is looking more and more likely by the day " ( you said here ). Anything can happen, and we ARE talking about The Cavaliers here, but right now I'd say that a " 7th or 8th" place finish is going to be a real challenge for them too, imo. But who knows.. we'll just have to see.

Edited by BRASSO

this place is insane

I think hostrauser's analysis is strictly metrics (which is his first language) and nothing more. Inferences are just that, and he makes a good point. But I agree that it isn't always a corps doing poorly as much as it is other corps doing better. Drama?.......come on Jeff, that's what this site is all about..... Drama, Competion and Punditry = DCP. Happy 4th buddy (and to your growing family)!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

Got the chance to see them live last night, and I really liked their treatment of Hall of the Mountain King. I thought it was a fresh take on a Cavalier classic (a different arrangement of this piece was their concert in 1968 and 1969).

Question: how do you think this show would stand up if all the electronics were out of it? It seemed that they really depend on electronics to connect the parts of the show. If you were to take out the electronics in, say, Bluecoats, Spirit and Madison, their shows would hold up pretty well. I'm not so sure that would be the case with this year's edition of the Cavies.

Question: how do you think this show would stand up if all the electronics were out of it? It seemed that they really depend on electronics to connect the parts of the show. If you were to take out the electronics in, say, Bluecoats, Spirit and Madison, their shows would hold up pretty well. I'm not so sure that would be the case with this year's edition of the Cavies.

While you/we are at it, what about BD? The narration is horrible.

• Like 2