Drum Corps traditions

Are age-outs still leaving stuff on the field after their final shows?

Even more cool when a current member wears the star one of his/her PARENTS wore when THEY marched SCV! THERE'S some family legacy for you!

It does happen on occasion, sadly less often then I'm sure it used to. Or when you see guys whose jackets are so full of patches, it goes down both sleeves, and the jacket has completely faded out because they've been involved with the corps so long.

Are age-outs still leaving stuff on the field after their final shows?

Frowned upon. Lucas Oil and DCi doesn't like having to clean up a bunch of stuff after the Age-out ceremony so they can do the show the next morning. But lots of kids still do it

Too bad really....

St. John's used to have a tradition that during the final run through of the season, all male members of the corps had to wear dresses.

I have photos. And they are not pretty.

EDIT: Here's one.

227226_6572385116_7403_n.jpg

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Spirit of Atlanta wears steel deltas for each year marched (and also for years on staff or volunteering). Certain other people also wear deltas cut from used/broken cymbals, which were the first deltas worn before an alumnus started making the steel ones. These used to be given out pretty late in the season, but are now given after the Atlanta regional.

There's now an established program for alumni to give their deltas to a current marching member so they can be fielded throughout a summer. Usually marching members will field a family member or someone they marched with, but otherwise it's a random matchup, which is a great opportunity for alumni to reconnect with the corps and for the current members to learn some history.

Edited by SpiritVet

Madison does Nails, given to the current members by the alumni. I don't know if they get multiple ones, or just one while in the corps?

They're still involved?

That's crazy cool

Tony Odello and his wife founded the corps...their kids marched....as did future in laws...and their grandkids...and the whole family's still involved. Son Rick is the B corps director, and the grandkids often tech the various units.

Tony Odello and his wife founded the corps...their kids marched....as did future in laws...and their grandkids...and the whole family's still involved. Son Rick is the B corps director, and the grandkids often tech the various units.

Any of them still marching, or was Andrew the last one out in I think 2010?

St. John's used to have a tradition that during the final run through of the season, all male members of the corps had to wear dresses.

I have photos. And they are not pretty.

EDIT: Here's one.

227226_6572385116_7403_n.jpg

D: