How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

Let's keep in mind the original idea of this thread: "How does DCI draw in a new fan base?". We've seen some great answers, but, let's just be real, the age-old Bb/electronics argument is never going to end. On the flip-side of that, as someone who has very recently joined the ranks of drum corps supporters (myself included), electronics have been indoctrinated into us. Electronics have been a factor since my very first show. Like I said, though, let's get back to the original topic.

Some folks had some really quality ideas.

Tough question.....

Just a couple quick thoughts/ideas.

Most of the population doesn't know drum corps exists. So...getting the word out to as many people as possible is crucial. Keep in mind...most of the population will probably not be interested in drum corps...so it's really important to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Corps need to spend time each week promoting the activity. Best done through public performances. Store grand openings, concerts in the park, performances in the mall, performances at the beach, performances at summer camps....etc. An example would be lets say the Boston Crusaders are performing in a show on Thursday night in Sacramento ca. On Thursday, Boston Cru. would spend some of their day performing for the public near Sacramento promoting the show for that evening (maybe giveaway a few free tickets to that evenings show...maybe give away some shirts or drum sticks...or tickets for Loud and Live at the movies in August). Anything to entice people to give drum corps a try. Another performance opportunity might be corporate conferences. Who knows....maybe some big wig would love drum corps and pour 1 mil or a couple hundred thousand in to the activity.

Lower ticket prices. Some of the prices are fairly steep....especially local shows

As a college student, it's incredibly difficult for me to bring a friend to a show (that has never experienced drum corps live before) when tickets are $45. I normally bring a couple of my friends who are just as enthused as I am, and we carpool and bring our friends that are marching snacks and whatnot for the road, etc. One of my favorite things about going to the show (Houston at Barry Center (which is palatial if haven't seen it)) is the Live Learning Event sponsored by a different corps every year. That, in all honesty, is what hooked me. The Cavaliers hosted Houston's LLE in 2010, and that day drew me to audition for the 2011 corps. Self-promotion by individual corps is integral. Granted, everyone here knows that corps don't have all the time in the world (especially when it comes to self-promotion), so open rehearsals, LLEs, and clinics definitely help. Also, the Cadets' daily updates are awesome. Self-promotion at its finest right there.

DCI should combine efforts with BOA, USB, and as many local circuits as they can. Offer clinics and performances throughout the summer. Offer any current marching band member a steeply discounted Fan Network membership and then cater the content towards them. Give them a membership card that gets them into any DCI show for $10 and then invite them to hang with their favorite corps at the rehearsal before the show. Bottom line - Get the MB kids (your target demographic) directly involved with drum corps.

This is brilliant. I'm not sure if DCI has done this or even planned on doing this, but personally, I can't afford Fan Network membership. Sorry. If the basic package were a bit cheaper, say $40, the consumer base could see a rapid expansion. An even greater discounted price for marching-age band students could prove incredibly beneficial, too. The membership card that "could get them into any DCI show for $10" may be a bit on the liberal side, but creating that discount for, maybe getting in the stadium (backfield seats?) for $10, but making the rest of the seats $10-20 off for these "members" would be pretty sweet. I would have begged my parents to let me drive four or five hours for that for sure. Also brought up was our target demographic: MARCHING BAND KIDS. We aren't going to be able to drag people who have never touched an instrument before in their lives out to shows en masse. That's just not going to happen, HOWEVER, we can do that with teens and young adults. Catch 'em while they're young, right?

To an outsider, this is a really tough sell. There has to be a concerted effort to lower the cost of The Experience or the potential market will continue to be severely limited. There should also be an attempt to include other things in the 70% travel/sleep/eat, 25% rehearse, 5% perform breakdown. Some corps already do this, but DCI should find more Big Exposure performances for all the corps to do throughout the Summer (Pro-Sports, Major Arts Festivals, Anything on TV, etc. If each corps did two or three of these peripheral events, and they were made to be FUN, it would offer a little bit of variety to The Experience and might attract a wider group of kids to the activity.

The current model has been in place for about 30 - 40 years now. We know the results we are getting. The current model is not sustainable; in fact it's a bit surprising that it is still functional. Significant changes have to be made. Growth = Survival. Stagnation = The opposite.

"As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. Get the picture?" Blake (Glengarry Glen Ross)

Holy crap, if I saw a drum corps at halftime of my university's football game, I would probably poop on myself. Going from watching drum corps shows to being forced to watch awful university marching bands is literal torture. We all know football season doesn't start before finals (and geez, these kids really need to go home), but still. How cool would that be?

Lastly, one of my favorite arguments:

Am I the only one who doesn't want DCI to get any more popular? I went to 2 shows in Los Angeles last year where there were NO seats left- people were sitting in the back. What if you went to your first show and sat in the back? Part of what makes DCI special is that only a select few of us are into it. I know that sounds a bit odd, but...

I probably would have been embarrassingly unamused if I had to sit on the 20-yard line at my first show. This is also a very important aspect we must respect.

This, again, has been another post in which I end up rambling and not really saying what I wanted to say, etc. Sorry 'bout it, y'all.

• Like 1

WW's = More participants

How does that work? A 150-member corps today will not have any more participants if woodwinds are legalized. They can't....the rule says no more than 150 members.

As for the smaller corps....well, as you say, what makes drum corps special is the level of excellence. If I remember correctly, your opinion is that the smaller corps offer nothing that woodwind players can't already get in their marching band programs. Therefore, they would only try out for the 150-member corps, which can't get any bigger.

The perception of drum corps may never change but having more attendance and shows would be nice. Short term losses (if any noticeable) will offset with long term gains due to increased participation.

But since your claim of increased participation is invalid, we'd be left with only the short-term, catastrophic losses.

All but the DCPers think instrumentation is why people go to shows. It's that DCI corps are by far the best performing in the marching activity.

Wait - which is it? You just said attendance hinges on the number of participants. Now you say it hinges on quality? If quality is the only reason all these people go to DCI shows, then more participants won't change anything.

Furthermore, attendance trends do not support either of your contentions.

• Like 1

As for the smaller corps....well, as you say, what makes drum corps special is the level of excellence. If I remember correctly, your opinion is that the smaller corps offer nothing that woodwind players can't already get in their marching band programs. Therefore, they would only try out for the 150-member corps, which can't get any bigger.

Great point, and to take it a step further, what if the max size was increased to accommodate woodwinds? Now you need another bus, more food, more insurance, more staff, more volunteers...

Edited by Kamarag

I've been meaning to ask....how do I join the barigirl78 Fan Club? And if there isn't one, can I start it?

Greatly enjoying the voice of reason you add to this board.

This seems to be the standard pick-up line at every drum corps bar...

You don't catch fish if you don't have a line in the water, eh audio?

:tongue:

WW's = More participants

The perception of drum corps may never change but having more attendance and shows would be nice. Short term losses (if any noticeable) will offset with long term gains due to increased participation.

All but the DCPers think instrumentation is why people go to shows. It's that DCI corps are by far the best performing in the marching activity.

I don't think you meant that sentence the way you wrote it.

Oh, and you're wrong. I wish you'd put some meat into your claims by offering something of substance besides your opinion. We all know that.

• Like 1

So they won't support the activity that gave them a huge boost in life because some designer wants a 3-sec audio clip in the show? :doh:

You can't understand it because your mind is already made up even though you have no proof. People here are throwing evidence at you left and right and you refuse to see.

In fact, yes, long-time fans do turn their back and don't come back. They owe the activity nothing; they gave on the field or in the stands.

You can't believe that fans will leave because of WW even as you don't believe examples laid in front of you.

Who's closed-minded in opinion, again?

• Like 2

Participation is a large factor when comparing current DCI vs proposed DCI. A summer tour with any D1 corps offers far more than even the best high school programs. So participation will increase as well as long term attendance. Obviously the 150 limit would change.

When comparing old&new DCI vs bands (some would argue bands = corps), performance quality is the main distinction.

But TRH is right, WWs will not be allowed anytime soon and the electronics debate will never go away. On those points I think we can:

- Offer a $10 Finals livestream

- Make an effort to expand # of show hosts and try new locations

- Look at alternative ways to present a show as ToC has done (not the 12 minutes, but all the dead space around it)

But like I said, and I'm not disagreeing with you, it's not as big a number on a national scale as some folks claim. And while I can't speak to Friends of DCI (I'm not a member, and never have been. I give directly to corps), A&E has brought in a number of new fans to the activity, at least initially. And the ones I know of directly have stayed.

So, between the fans leaving and the fans gained, it's probably fairly close to a wash. But we're both just guessing, though with some knowledge of the issue.

I am a member of Friends and have been for 25 years. I can tell you for a fact that Friends membership has declined - by HALF - in the last 10 years.

I put up a chart here some time ago that showed Friends membership declines over many years (if someone can find it and re-post it...).

When DCI staff were told how I arrived at my numbers the response was "Oh well, someone was going to figure it out at some point."

It's demonstrable that Friends are some of the activity's most hard-corps, and wealthy, fans.

Yes, they leave because of instrumentation. And they don't come back.

Sure, there have been some MM additions as a result of A&E, but it's unlikely that those people have the willingness AND spending power that a Friends member does.

You can't understand it because your mind is already made up even though you have no proof. People here are throwing evidence at you left and right and you refuse to see.

In fact, yes, long-time fans do turn their back and don't come back. They owe the activity nothing; they gave on the field or in the stands.

You can't believe that fans will leave because of WW even as you don't believe examples laid in front of you.

Who's closed-minded in opinion, again?

Evidence? :rolleyes: All I see are a collection of "I know a guy who said it was the amps"

• Like 1

But garfield, isn't that a flaw in our organization that we must rely on a small group of heavy donors to survive? Why can't DCI improve on its own?

You also forget the economy and retirement nest eggs have completely collapsed in the last 5 years. But who will claim that's their reason for less donations when there's a convenient political reason?

Edited by Shadowtron
  • Like 1