How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

those changes were far less polarizing...DCI was getting larger crowds even after the changes than they are now.

Oh, you are wrong on that. Having no internet made the discussion less visible, but there was lots of anger at the changes noted.

• Like 1

Now this does get a bit large: :smile:

...esp when you realize that the people in the visitor stands are actually part of the band--they just plain ran out of room! :tongue:

Like TubaChristmas at Akron.

Yes I can see that difference. Most seasoned fans and vets can. But there is very little difference in the execution levels in the Top 5 or 6 corps from year to year......yet the "Cadevaliers" seem to get the top spot.

I'm not saying..."HEY Jersey Surf is awesome this year, give em the ring". That's just ridiculous. But I'd like to see a more "fluid" judging system that says that on any given night the spreads can fluctuate wildly.

For all of this look for 'fluid' in the old days...if you look at VFW Nats from 64-70, the top 4 spots...for those 28 slots, there were seven corps total taking all those slots...Cavies 7 times, Troopers 6, Kilties and BAC 4 each, Royal Airs and Des Plaines 3 each and BS once. If you look at just 1st and 2nd..14 slots...Cavies 5 times, Troopers 3, Kilties 3, Royal Airs 2 and BAC 1.

They could add another 100 or so easily on a field the size of a football field, if they wanted. I prefer no size limit myself, along with no limits on instruments.

Now this does get a bit large: :smile:

AllenHS.jpg

...esp when you realize that the people in the visitor stands are actually part of the band...they just plain ran out of room! :tongue:

LOL, I've seen that a few times in block formatation. Trying to remember who had three huge blocks and the blocks just slide back/forth and side to side. Had to have been when I was in DC in the 70s and I said "Man is that boring for a marcher" (mark time 32 forward 16 mark time 32 right 8, etc).

Had a drill in my 150 college MB where I went off the field in my Casavant the younger days. Cluster drill (but done in an exact way :shutup: ) that formed a rocket ship shape (music "Calling All Interplantary Crafts" by (something) Klatu going into the obligitory "Star Wars" (this was Fall 1977)). I had the tip of the rockets wing and was 5 steps off the field as the #### ship had to collapse as it moved towarsd the front sideline. IOW - Charlie Casavant ran out of room (should have been a Canadian football field). Yeah 150 members and not enough field.... the dude wrote some interesting drills. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not only is this a slippery slope, but it's the epitome of the "me" generation: I want something, so I obviously think I'm entitled to it for free whenever I want to see it. There are plenty of free samples on Fan Network and a plethora of video on youtube (unauthorized or otherwise) for folks to check out and make the decision to buy or not.

yep. imagine a composer finds his stuff leaked out without his consent...mid season a corps could lose the rights to play it

Oh, you are wrong on that. Having no internet made the discussion less visible, but there was lots of anger at the changes noted.

I was around too Mike....not nearly like the ones introduced in the last 12 years

• Like 2

If corps like BC or anyone else gets in top 3 it should only be because they are the better corps......

Of course.

Why does all of a sudden being the best and knowing how to do it become a dirty word..............whoever is best wins or top spots..thats it

Well, no, it's not that simple. One only needs to look at the first two shows of the 2011 and 2012 seasons (where judges didn't have access to yesterday's scores) to see what kind of variability we would have if judges called it as they see it.

And of course, there would be closer competition if corps received equal pay for equal work. Why should we be surprised that the same corps are on top every year when they get paid more every year?

I was around too Mike....not nearly like the ones introduced in the last 12 years

Sorry, again, you are wrong. You mistake a few people on the internet with the totality of those who are in the audience.

• Like 1

20 pages of responses...wow. We should send this page to DCI headquarters. Actually on the other hand lets not and say we did. Bad idea.

Of course.

Well, no, it's not that simple. One only needs to look at the first two shows of the 2011 and 2012 seasons (where judges didn't have access to yesterday's scores) to see what kind of variability we would have if judges called it as they see it.

And of course, there would be closer competition if corps received equal pay for equal work. Why should we be surprised that the same corps are on top every year when they get paid more every year?

the same corps are on top simply because they are better...thats it...there usually is a very clear division any year who are top 5 verses the rest...now that doesnt make 6-12 crap, just doesnt make them top 5,,,sometimes 5th and 6th could move...just like 12th and 13th many times

Edited by GUARDLING