Lynn Lounge

The announcer and crowd yelling "YOU!! may enter the field in competition" happens at Beanpot, East Coast Classic, CYO Nationals (at least last year, not back in the day). I always assumed it was a BAC thing. I can't say I remember when it started, and it didn't happen at every show, but it goes back a while. In Boston, traditions just seem to happen whether they make sense or not, like "Sweet Caroline," a song by Neil Diamond, a classic New York crooner, becoming the unofficial anthem of the Red Sox. Things happen, become automatic traditions, and stay.

The classic New England announcer was CYO's Dom Bianculli who has been gone a number of years. He loved announcing his favorites such as North Stahhh, Boston Crusadahs, Holy Family Defendahs, and 27th Lancis (if there's an e before the r, it has an "is" sound).

Beanpot was a great time and shows in the Boston area are fun: great mix of old school, young kids, and curiosity seekers. More later.....

Hie name is Kane (not sure of the spelling, and I think his first name is Tom). You have to go back a few years for the genesis of that phrase. At one time, the announcer would ask the judges if they were ready and he/she was given the signal. Next the corps' DM was asked is your corps ready, and the DM saluted the crowd. The announcer would then officially say, "You may enter the field for competition."

Obviously, that process has changed. One year at Bristol, RI, the pit from Crown gave him one of those you may begin announcing en masse just before he did his thing for their corps. It cracked up the whole place.

You wouldn't recognize Manning Bowl in Lynn these days now, Liahona. They completely tore down the old stadium a couple of years ago and built a brand new stadium in its place. Put in new upgrades everywhere. Its a nice joint now.

I knew Manning was rebuilt, but do the corps still sound great in the "bowl"?

Edited by Ghost

Hie name is Kane (not sure of the spelling, and I think his first name is Tom). You have to go back a few years for the genesis of that phrase. At one time, the announcer would ask the judges if they were ready and he/she was given the signal. Next the corps' DM was asked is your corps ready, and the DM saluted the crowd. The announcer would then officially say, "You may enter the field for competition."

Obviously, that process has changed. One year at Bristol, RI, the pit from Crown gave him one of those you may begin announcing en masse just before he did his thing for their corps. It cracked up the whole place.

I think you're correct with the name Tom Kane, but if you're not, we'll be corrected. My guess is that what throws the corps off is that it's not just the announcer who says "you," the audience joins in and yells "YOU" and often points, often at the encouragement of the announcer. Last night with the Colts he wanted a real warm welcome and a louder "You" which may have been a bit of a problem. My marching days and following drum corps days date back to 1975. I seem to remember it at less formal shows and some circuit shows in the late 70's/early 80's, but never at more formal events like circuit finals, CYO Nationals and World Open.

Edited by Tim K

If it is the same announcer it has always been, it is Paul Cain. PC was on the Crossmen staff when I marched and we'd get the "you" announcement during the season sometimes at rehearsals for big shows. He's been doing that announcement for ages! I'm surprised the vets in Colts didn't explain it to the rookies. It isn't that easy to forget when a crowd yells like that.... At least they will know for next year, right?

Go Crossmen!

They were stuck in a rut at the beginning of the year, but seem to be moving.

(I know we won't really know until Minneapolis, but this is cool.)

Saw them in Orlando last weekend and got to meet some of the members the next day at EPCOT (all the corps had the day off and seemed to be in EPCOT). I told them I think they have a shot at finals. Very good show concept (probably the best one since moving to Tx). The kids seem to understand the concept are learning how to perform the show at a high level. Horn line is producing a very nice balanced sound and the drum line is coming along nicely. They do need a lot of cleaning, especially the feet. They had a spill in the trumpet section but recovered well.

Looking forward to seeing them in Jackson next weekend.

I knew Manning was rebuilt, but do the corps still sound great in the "bowl"?

Open at the ends. Different sound. The old one was enclose 360.

Kathy,

Your statement matches my recollection. I only lived in Mass for 2 1/2 years, but I went to a contest in Beverly one year and Wakefield the next and he was the announcer at both and worked from the sidelines rather than the pressbox, so he had a lot of face to face interaction with fans in the stands. I don't think he worked shows only in Mass. I remember thinking his voice reminded of someone else. I finally figured it out - Robin Leach without the Brit accent.

Kevin

If it is the same announcer it has always been, it is Paul Cain. PC was on the Crossmen staff when I marched and we'd get the "you" announcement during the season sometimes at rehearsals for big shows. He's been doing that announcement for ages! I'm surprised the vets in Colts didn't explain it to the rookies. It isn't that easy to forget when a crowd yells like that.... At least they will know for next year, right?

Paul Cain is the name of the announcer from Massachusetts that has had this interaction with the fans and really helps make the Corps on the field ready to go feel welcome, and right from the getgo he makes it fun. Cain, marched St. Mary's Majestic Knights, from Charlestown, Ma. in his youth, served as a parole officer if I'm not mistaken and in his career capacity he persuaded more than a " challenged " young kid or 2 to be " encouraged " to do Drum Corps, or go and wind up in the slammer. He also served on various Corps staffs... including the Crossmen. He's given a lot of his time and efforts to Drum Corps in one capacity or another for close to half a century now. He's a big guy with a big heart.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2