Growth of drum corps through feeder corps?

IMO there should be a coordinated effort between WC and open class on something like this. It is great that Spirit of Atlanta has a few move to the CV, but what if the kid came from Vermont, as I posed above? How do all the corps try and hang on to that person...to get them into their closest Open class corps, in this case the Spartans, for instance?

I have positied before the idea that maybe at the START of an audition weekend an Open class corps director come and make a general presentation about the Open class experience as an alternative to doing nothing. It could be a DCI-created general presentation, not something that would need to be created for each corps for each camp.

I wouldn't do it at the end...a person cut might not be in the best mood to hear about 'Plan B', so to speak, after just being cut from their dream corps.

I hear you there. The goal would be to make the person want to march drum corps, and not just THAT drum corps.

IMO there should be a coordinated effort between WC and open class on something like this. It is great that Spirit of Atlanta has a few move to the CV, but what if the kid came from Vermont, as I posed above? How do all the corps try and hang on to that person...to get them into their closest Open class corps, in this case the Spartans, for instance?

I have positied before the idea that maybe at the START of an audition weekend an Open class corps director come and make a general presentation about the Open class experience as an alternative to doing nothing. It could be a DCI-created general presentation, not something that would need to be created for each corps for each camp.

I wouldn't do it at the end...a person cut might not be in the best mood to hear about 'Plan B', so to speak, after just being cut from their dream corps.

World Class, Open Class and DCI should all work together on this.

However, the problem is this:

ego.

Why let someone else have what you didn't want, especially if due to injury, or bailing out, or some other reason you may need later?

World Class, Open Class and DCI should all work together on this.

However, the problem is this:

ego.

Why let someone else have what you didn't want, especially if due to injury, or bailing out, or some other reason you may need later?

I have sat in on the audition process many times I know that the corps i have been with and several others have all talked about other oppurtunities for those who dont make it....Now Ego of a kid..sure I see that all the time...or someone who auditioned wanting a certain corps or WC ..yes I see that all the time also..Ive also heard many times and I quote " Im not spending this kind of money to march with so and so....So , yes there is or can be alot of ego there.

I hear you there. The goal would be to make the person want to march drum corps, and not just THAT drum corps.

youre right..the hard sell for some is that they are PAYING...I wouldn't pay for a BMW and settle for a TOYOTA......now unfortunately many people who audition ( not all ) dont have a clear vision of their own personal talent or even what they are up against. I do think you are right and I do think a Toyota is a great car and reliable and I would have a good experience with it BUT Im sure you get what Im saying and also we as adults may think a little different than the average 18 year old

( hopefully )

Edited by GUARDLING

Ive also heard many times and I quote " Im not spending this kind of money to march with so and so....So , yes there is or can be alot of ego there.

Few years back I brought up the question of why people who get cut don't go to an lower WC or OC corps. Many responses came back with a version of this.... usually

Not worth my time and money to march with anyone other than my dream corps.

Why pay about the same amount of money to march OC instead of WC?

Main problem as I saw it was/is OC not seen as "worth it".

Edit: Started this thread 2 or 3 times during different years, roughly same responses.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Few years back I brought up the question of why people who get cut don't go to an lower WC or OC corps. Many responses came back with a version of this.... usually

Not worth my time and money to march with anyone other than my dream corps.

Why pay about the same amount of money to march OC instead of WC?

Main problem as I saw it was/is OC not seen as "worth it".

unfortunately youre very right....although some could actually have a better experience and may not realise the fit may be better.

I have sat in on the audition process many times I know that the corps i have been with and several others have all talked about other oppurtunities for those who dont make it....Now Ego of a kid..sure I see that all the time...or someone who auditioned wanting a certain corps or WC ..yes I see that all the time also..Ive also heard many times and I quote " Im not spending this kind of money to march with so and so....So , yes there is or can be alot of ego there.

yes kid ego. But not all corps promote other local options

well im sure some will only promote those they are in good graces with or where they think the member would have or good or simular experience that they would have with them

some will only promote what's in their organization. any other options are considered competition

some will only promote what's in their organization. any other options are considered competition

well theres always some and if there are options within someones own org. I dont see an issue with that( why wouldnt one promote their won 1st ) IF there isnt then they can suggest others ( or not )...its not like other corps and auditions are a secret