Attraction?

I am a trumpet player and i was introduced to drum corps by my director who showed me Madison 95' and 96'. Nuff said, I was sold.

Glad I could play a small part in your interest! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Kid in my HS was in Garfield 85 and showed us (the band) some videos during the 86 season. I never saw a show live, and only went to that 1st camp (87 season) because the band director (a Caballero) convinced me I'd be good enough and love it. Walked in, got a horn, were in the Arc and when we all played that first note (G) together and the room filled with the sound of 80ish brass, I was hooked. Nothing like that sound to me.

Nah. If you really had brass balls, you would have played euph. That's a man's instrument

Pssh...they stick a euph in the hands of anyone who doesn't know how to play anything else. Everyone knows the REAL big brass stones are found in the lead sop line. :tongue:

The seed was planted in the early 70's while watching the Troopers rehearse in Michigan City at the elementary school behind my house. As a 6-7 year old, wide-eyed, lil' buckaroo I was mesmerized. Imagine my awe the next day when I saw them in uniform.

I'll side with the "lean back and let it fly" sopranos on this one.......nothing like being a soloist and letting those high notes fly!

I have to admit I modeled my 1986 solo style after the stylings of the 86 BD sop soloists!

Also, though I like the "lean back" , but that BD guy who did the slow -about -face while blowing that nasty high note into the stratosphere while wearing his prior championship ring (s) was downright awesome and intimidating at the same time to an impressionable 15 year old trumpet player.

Sincerely,

a former HS trumpet soloist

.......now in PR we didn't have the music to lend itself to the lean back, but our ensemble entry @ DCI sure did!

I thought this was going to be a thread about tour googles...

but anyway, at my HS before football games, while people were changing / eating dinner / killing time, the director sometimes had drum corps videos playing. Acquired a baritone after graduation, took some lessons in college (I was still very mediocre, as I was a sax player), and off I went! I didn't get a contract in January, but there were still some open spaces in the baritone line, and they said I would have a fair shot at them if I improved to their satisfaction. Got a drill spot at the beginning of April :thumbup:

about 10-12 years ago my brothers started marching band and several of the school techs marched (phantom 87 Glassmen 92-98 Cadets 98) and they started listening. Since i was in middle school band i started listening to it and went to my first show in 04. Marched in 08 and plan on marching my ageout next year. Madison was the first show that made me really see the activity and since then Ive always wanted to march there but being a high school student it cost to much. Nothings stopping me next year.

loved marching and wanted to see if I was even that good. so i tried out, then got a contract later that night. been hooked ever since.