Drums Along the Rockies

I thought it was pretty cool of BD to hurry up and let BK set up for a full show and with the rain that hard they still went on.

I thought it was cool too and respectful to BK! :thumbup: I played my Don Sebesky Big Box record album yesterday; it was in my garage for 35 years; everything is cool tonight :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tonight BK you weren't Alien Birds, you were DRUM CORPS GODS!!! Way to push through and represent!!! You'll never forget tonight I promise you!!

Wes P

Yes they were! So many happy wet kids at the buses. I'm waiting for my housing kids then home for lots of laundry. I love these kids.

• Like 1

I thought it was cool too and respectful to BK! :thumbup: I played my Don Sebesky Big Box record album yesterday; it was in my garage for 35 years; everything is cool tonight :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

NO way! I have that record too! Got it a couple weeks ago for 5 bucks. I also have the one with Bird and Bella on it.

Just got home. Sucks that it was a standstill, but on the plus side all the hornlines sounded terrific (helps when you don't have to run all over the place). Felt like a drum corps greatest hits show out there: Firebird, Planets, Turandot, Rite of Spring, Pines of Rome... no complaints from me!! Major props to BK for doing their full show in the rain and totally killing it (and almost killing themselves in the process!).

Also, 7.50 for a lemonade with a shot of Svekda in it? Blerrghh.

• Like 1

NO way! I have that record too! Got it a couple weeks ago for 5 bucks. I also have the one with Bird and Bella on it.

Very cool. I also have an album with Stravinsky's Rite of Spring from the 70's. It's a wonderful interpretive piece with dance and music :D

Edit: I enjoyed FN from Kalamazoo and Denver tonight. Thanks :)

Edited by lindap

Tonight BK you weren't Alien Birds, you were DRUM CORPS GODS!!! Way to push through and represent!!! You'll never forget tonight I promise you!!

Wes P

I was thinking the same thing! It was so fun watching these performers have a blast entertaining the crowd......with the rain pouring down.....such pure joy. I loved it. Highlight of the night for me!

Edited by POSITIVenrgy
  • Like 2

Kudos to BK for doing their full show. I know you were on trecherous ground and I said a prayer for everyone's safety as you performed. Thank you for thinking of your fans. :worthy:

• Like 5

I thought it was pretty cool of BD to hurry up and let BK set up for a full show and with the rain that hard they still went on.

:thumbup:

I wish more people knew just how classy the Blue Devils organization really is. There's been a lot of things they do behind the scenes year-round and they don't seek credit...they just do it.

• Like 7

I was disappointed with the rain, but hey...that's Colorado. At least it wasn't snowing. :thumbup:

I enjoyed the standstill performances...especially SCV, when they lead off with Eric Whitaker. PR's soloist was awesome. Not so impressed with BD...sure, they sound good but if their show isn't a whole lot better than what I heard...who cares about them.

When I saw the BK Guard at the end of the tunnel with their flags, I was just so proud of them at that moment. Nobody would have blamed them if they had only done a standstill like the others...but that wasn't good enough for them. BK, you are a class act. My son made a good choice.You guys should get a score of 71.0 just for doing your show under those conditions.

I liked BK's new pre-show more than the old "form up in the corner"...adds more bird-like vibes. That flying-chinese-dragon-looking thing was kind of weird...but my son says that might not survive, so that's okay.

Bottom line...for my first ever live DCI experience, I'm satisfied. Sure, it would have been better with no rain, but BK made it happen for me.

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 3

There is an interesting (and possibly apocryphal) story about these recordings, which I bought at Kmart as cut-out records in...1977? I knew one of the studio musicians who worked on this, and he said that Sebesky was p-o'd at the record company and his contract, and he had X number of tracks to provide to them. So he got his friends (and it's an impressive collection) to come into the studio in a couple of days and jam them all together. It's one of the weirdest and most uneven records in my collection, but when it's good, it's really good.