Marvelous Minneapolis

Then don't get mad and boo when they don't win and/or drop in placement. Their not in it for the competition right?

Fans might have a different agenda than the corps itself. And the boos for placement or getting mad isn't so much about the placement .. it's about the programming not getting the credit the crowd thinks it deserves. Hence, it is a statement to the establishment rather than the placement or scores themselves. The crowd is saying, "THIS IS WHAT WE WANT". Yet, DCI, the judging system, the judges et. al. do not listen. It's kinda futile ... but this is a necessary form of expression in a democracy. Too bad DCI isn't really a democracy.

• Like 1

HAHA!

Not BOTH of those things, and certainly NOT in the current era, but yes... It wasn't overdone either, but yet EVERY corps NOW feels to have a bunch of it in much of their show. It doesn't matter if it fits or not, they will MAKE it fit or die trying.... tongue.gif Some of it works, most of it doesn't add to the show, but I bet it earns more points cause it's on the sheets...

That all really started with drum lines adding body. Now the corps proper. Pits used to "dance" when they played (emoting the music as if they were sucking it out of the instrument). It won't be long before they are doing it again. Some corps do use the pit in the theatrical portion of their shows (Blue Stars).

It's all fluff. I really looked closely at Cavies show again this afternoon. They have added some body movement that just isn't them. It's not their image. I look at Machine and 007. Those shows had body in them .. but it was CAVIES style. The things they are doing now (and struggling with) just aren't them. Same can be said (as you said) for most corps on the field. They are using something another corps did almost move for move and trying to make it work as part of their fundamentals ... meh. Recycle Repeat Regurgitate.

If it doesn't fit .. if it doesn't add to the theme .. if it doesn't reflect your corps image: DON'T DO IT!

Edited by supersop
  • Like 2

I wasn't responsible for that. I was in a room all by myself. (However, I did break the Internet five years ago in San Antonio. My laptop's motherboard died less than a half minute before both servers crashed in California, caused by a major outage of many sites including TicketMaster, which meant no tickets could be sold via credit card at the gate. Only now can I deal with admitting how I brought the Internet to its knees. :rolleyes:

No problem Mike. When I found the mute button that annoying click was gone and I enjoyed your posts. If you're sitting near the judges' box next week listen for me Boooooing. I'll be right above you. :devil:

• Like 1

I suspect designers look at what wins in some years and feel they need to have some of THAT in their design. I agree I don't want to see Cavies pose or Cadets have a clumpy scatter drill. I want the corps to do what makes them THEM.

But in your previous comments above on this very thread you took the liberties to do just that, ie to not only spell out what is important to the Madison Scouts, but to actually set forth to prioritize these things for us DCP'ers. You went so far to say ( quote, your words above ) for example that " The Madison Scouts experience has almost nothing to do with competing ". Look, a bit of non confrontational, friendly advice for you: if you are not a member of a Corps, were not a member nor afiliated with that Corps in the past, simply speak for yourself, ok ? You're on much more solid ground then, rather than to define what the priorities are and what " the experience is " of that Corps you now tell us you were never a part of in any capacity at all at any time in the past. Does this sound like a reasonable future request here ?

No Sir. You have an obligation to read and re-read my original post before you accuse me of misleading you and other readers. Especially if you have over 8,000 postings yourself. I never portrayed myself as a staff member or someone with inside knowledge of how the Madison Scouts think or operate. I have never been anything more than a huge fan. Here is how I started my original posting . . . I think the Scouts management understand more than any other corps . . . I added the red color here for effect. I didn't say I know the Scouts don't care about scores and ONLY care about experience and entertainment. I was drawing conclusions as an outsider and as a fan and long time observer. I don't think anyone could have mistakenly thought that I was speaking as a staff member or as someone with inside knowledge. I WAS STATING MY OPINION AS NEARLY 100% OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO.

But if it makes you feel any better, you don't need to apologize. And for my part, I'm moving any further discussion of this issue to another forum titled 5 GOOD REASON THE ACTIVITY IS DESTINED TO END. It seems to be where all the smart folks hang out. Hope to see you there.

Edited by Martin I. Zing
  • Like 2

Fans might have a different agenda than the corps itself. And the boos for placement or getting mad isn't so much about the placement .. it's about the programming not getting the credit the crowd thinks it deserves. Hence, it is a statement to the establishment rather than the placement or scores themselves. The crowd is saying, "THIS IS WHAT WE WANT". Yet, DCI, the judging system, the judges et. al. do not listen. It's kinda futile ... but this is a necessary form of expression in a democracy. Too bad DCI isn't really a democracy.

I took a friend with last night to the Minneapolis Show. This was his first ever DCI Show. His impression with the results left him questioning how the judges decide. Esp when you sit and listen to the crowds reaction after each show and then when the placements/scores were announced. He was left at odds.

I said its like that every year.

No Sir. You have an obligation to read and re-read my original post before you accuse me of misleading you and other readers. Especially if you have over 8,000 postings yourself. I never portrayed myself as a staff member or someone with inside knowledge of how the Madison Scouts think or operate. I have never been anything more than a huge fan. Here is how I started my original posting . . . I think the Scouts management understand more than any other corps . . . I added the red color here for effect. I didn't say I know the Scouts don't care about scores and ONLY care about experience and entertainment. I was drawing conclusions as an outsider and as a fan and long time observer. I don't think anyone could have mistakenly thought that I was speaking as a staff member or as someone with inside knowledge. I WAS STATING MY OPINION AS NEARLY 100% OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO.

But if it makes you feel any better, you don't need to apologize. And for my part, I'm moving any further discussion of this issue to another forum titled 5 GOOD REASON THE ACTIVITY IS DESTINED TO END. It seems to be where all the smart folks hang out. Hope to see you there.

Yup. Take the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach. That's "being a better man", as you say the Scouts preach.

You said some stuff that, despite the word "think" was clearly suggesting that you have some knowledge of the Scouts' staff priorities. Someone called you out on it. Its not the end of the world. No need to insult people or act like a little kid.

YES. WELL SAID!