Marvelous Minneapolis

But why is it that so many years (at least 5... maybe closer to 10?) years after the electronic stuff was legalized, corps STILL cannot blend it?

and worse, they aren't hurt on the sheets for it!

Honestly, I think the reason why is because the electronics are in the pit. Meaning I don't think that the brass judges are listening for blend and balance between the hornline and the bass canon (hehehe). I think they are solely listening for blend and balance between the horn members. I wouldn't be surprised if the only electronic remarks I heard were from the percussion judges. Which would be a problem. Maybe there needs to be something on the brass sheets about electronic and acoustic blend and balance?

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, the scoring sheets have a tendency to favor High Minded Art, the likes of which BD does impeccably well, over flamboyant, in your face, entertainment value. How many people fell out of their seats with shock when PR won a few years back?

Crown's in that position this year. They could win, certainly, especially if the drum effects clean up (and the roof is closed at Lucas). And they mostly play music people recognize, which is another crowd factor.

BD know they won't be a crowd favorite. The kids who march BD are okay with this.

Regardless of the placements, which I don't totally agree with, I have to say that there are some pretty good shows this year. I was surprised by the Cadets because I didn't think I would like the show -- Ooops, they were entertaining. SCV has their best show in several years, the Crown brass line is very, very good. Blue Devils are the same as always -- great music and a very clean, not exciting, drill. Madison slipped after gaining four points in a week and that is understandable. No one can keep up that pace. Spirit has an entertaining show and it is good to see them move up some.

Moving on to San Antonio, Atlanta and Indianapolis, I believe we will continue to see placements shift. This is a really competitive year and a bonus for the fans. Watch for many changes and improvements and Go Madison Scouts.

• Like 2

On a side note, has anyone noticed how much that stadium exposes brass mistakes? I heard a few things I have never heard from other stadiums.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think the reason why is because the electronics are in the pit. Meaning I don't think that the brass judges are listening for blend and balance between the hornline and the bass canon (hehehe). I think they are solely listening for blend and balance between the horn members. I wouldn't be surprised if the only electronic remarks I heard were from the percussion judges. Which would be a problem. Maybe there needs to be something on the brass sheets about electronic and acoustic blend and balance?

agree! and this is a problem

so, when BD throws those rings around... when they drop some of them (presumably a mistake), do they get more points, b/c it fits the theme?

edit: and just to add this, this is my favorite BD show over the last few years

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 3

You can send your iPad display to the AppleTV from any app. Double-click the home button, swipe to the left, tap the AirPlay icon and you should be able to toggle the display between the iPad and the AppleTV. I'm not familiar with the iSwifter app but if it displays video full screen you should be in business.

I'll echo what Kevin (I think) said earlier: This is a pretty Rube Goldberg set up. You might get better results hooking up a laptop to the TV directly (AirPlay streaming for Macs coming in Mac OS X Mountain Lion, yay!).

Thanks! Some apps have the airplay icon embedded, but when they don't, I didn't know how to find it. Silly me - iPad 101! (Don't tell my son.) The iSwifter app does allow me to see flash/html5, but I couldn't get any sound on it. I did end up just hooking up the laptop to the tv and speakers and had a great time watching the show! Thanks to all the great folks who responded.

You'd have to be an alum or current member to know. Sorry. People can make their guesses, but probably won't get it right.

SUTA: "Stop Using The Amps". You're welcome. :tongue:

Amen...Scouts are always the most entertaining corps, and the crowds always love them. That is the most important thing. And if DCI doesn't figure that out soon, they won't have any fans in the stands to pay their salaries.

No. Scouts have not been the "most entertaining corps" for me since 1999, I'm sorry to say. I love Scouts, but this year's show is not the great and wonderful thing that Scouts fans are trying to make it out to be, as far as I'm concerned. The arranging is awful, imo. I want them to do well, but man, it's just so choppy and lacks emotion (yes, even with the rotating company front) The only moment in the show that I really love is when they finally bring the company front forward and start to play. Why can't the rest of the show be that straight forward? That's one of the biggest problems with this activity today, imo. Too many corps are tryiing to be "sophisticated" and be seen as "artful". It's a bunch of pretentious baloney if you ask me. Just march and play. And when you play, play the music as it's written, or at least don't chop it up SO MUCH. In my opinion, every corps should take a cue from Phantom Regiment in regards to arranging. I can't remember a recent year where I didn't enjoy their musical arrangements. To each his/her own though. We'll just see how everything turns out.

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 4

Jay Bocook wrote the brass arrangements.

Honestly, I'm shocked. I'm not a Bocook fan ...... but this is some tasty work for BK.

Edited by supersop