Marvelous Minneapolis

So Sully has gone all-in with Blue teams? (He does Blue Stars drill too, right?) So odd, considering his pedigree! :)

Myron Rosander does Blue Stars drill.

Electronics in BK show really detract from what the corps is doing, and the corps is doing some amazing stuff. I am not normally critical of electronics, but it is too mich in that show. A least in the beginnng.

• Like 2

Did the BK soloists mic cut in and out or was it just me?

It did indeed. Live by the electronic sword, die by the electronic sword.

And as Kevin G pointed out, unnecessary. That's a solo that does not need a mike if it's staged and projected correctly.

Next on the field are the Boston Crusaders from Boston, Massachusetts. Their 2012 program is entitled "The Titans and consists of:

Pines of Rome by Respighi, Ottorino

War Dance (from Belkis, Queen of Sheba) by Respighi, Ottorino

Lacrimosa (from For A Friend) by Preisner, Zbigniew

Symphony No 1 (Titan) by Mahler, Gustav

Blue Knights' show is growing on me (not the biggest electronics fan here, but their use of it is humorous). They are starting to execute a difficult show chock full of references to classical and pop culture, and I think it will be quite worthy by finals.

• Like 1

That's a solo that does not need a mike if it's staged and projected correctly.

• Like 1

I think some of that is intentional .. on both points. Is this still a Sully drill corps? If so .. this is making perfect sense to me.

Yes, it most certainly is.

But blobs aren't drill sets. I just think it doesn't look as great as big forms. They just seem small compared to Madison.

It wasn't all blobs.... they were just dirty forms. Part of what Sully loves to do is make you feel UNCOMFORTABLE. NOw figure out why the big pretty forms weren't used and then ask yourself .. how did some of those effects really make you feel.

Same can be said for the horn book. There was some exceptional tonal coloring going on ... interesting brass sound effects .. lots of GE built in there in a new and inventive way that I haven't really heard since BD's 91 show. This is an extremely hard book .. but still extremely dirty. On merit, it could keep them in 12th with an 11th place or higher design. On execution, it's sitting around 15th for me right now visually. Brass is a solid 12th. But man, if that show was clean ....... WOW! All those placements I just shot out could be thrown away.

Kevin, I don't think I agree with you about the amped stuff/sound effects. As I'm one of those people who usually HATE that sort of thing .. this was used very cleverly ... expected themes in a whimsical kind of fashion. I liked it .. it made me chuckle a few times .. and I think that's what it was meant to do.

I'm intrigued by this show. Very intrigued.

Edited by supersop
  • Like 2