What IF DCI Did This?

I'm just exploring a very extreme option. Did I say I think this is the best solution or even a good solution? No. But how would it effect DCI. I've gotten good answers so far.

Edited by kaseyW

WHat would be so bad if DCI re-introduced a DCI run DCM, DCE & DCW? Keep everyone regional until say...DCI MInneapolis or something similar. The gas savings would be enormous and would spark a rebirth of regional touring corps. It has worked for Academy, Pacific crest, Cascades and OC for a good long while. With fuel and food proces as they are, a season long national tour is far to risky. It worked in the early to mid 90's, why can't it work now.

Love love love that!

I'm just exploring a very extreme option. Did I say I think this is the best solution or even a good solution? No. But how would it effect DCI. I've gotten good answers so far.

Instead of all this negativity regarding DCI people should be talking about how DCI is going to have four great regionals over the next month leading into Indianapolis. Great shows with big crowds is what will help all corps.

Take it from someone who did it.... If you walk away from DC (or it walks away from you as per your OP) it is a LOT harder to come back. People will find other things to do with their time and then when DC comes back they might not be able to (or want to) leave the new thing to come back.

Walked away for a bit and stayed away 10 years. Only came back because of a bunch of co-incidences that panned out.

Edit: See this as an interesting question. A few corps have taken time off and have come back. But then again some have taken time off planning to come back and never puilled it off.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not just the 90's but the 70's and 80's as well. Back when I was marching.. we did the DCW tour for most of June and into July. We would then usually have a week off to rehearse and then hit the road for "2nd Tour". Typically speaking, it wasn't uncommon for us to go down to LA for 2 weeks and house in the same housing site for that entire time and hit all the SoCal and AZ shows from one location. Regional touring works!

Not just the 90's but the 70's and 80's as well. Back when I was marching.. we did the DCW tour for most of June and into July. We would then usually have a week off to rehearse and then hit the road for "2nd Tour". Typically speaking, it wasn't uncommon for us to go down to LA for 2 weeks and house in the same housing site for that entire time and hit all the SoCal and AZ shows from one location. Regional touring works!

In the 90's we did the DCM tour from Mid-June to about the 1st weekend in July (DCM Championships in Toledo or Dekalb), who remembers social day on that Sunday. Then the DCI Tour would begin around the end of the 2nd week of July. And it worked. We did shows in WI, MN, IL, IN, MI, IA, & sometime NE. Usually less than an 8 hour drive from headquarters.

In the 90's we did the DCM tour from Mid-June to about the 1st weekend in July (DCM Championships in Toledo or Dekalb), who remembers social day on that Sunday. Then the DCI Tour would begin around the end of the 2nd week of July. And it worked. We did shows in WI, MN, IL, IN, MI, IA, & sometime NE. Usually less than an 8 hour drive from headquarters.

Well, being in a California corps, we didn't have the luxury of only being 8 hours from home. That said, we didn't tour as vastly as corps do now. We either had a North, Mid or Southern tour. But with having stayed on the west coast (either down to SoCal or up to the Pacific Northwest)for a significant part of the tour, our tour fees were significantly lower (in today's money) as the corps' spends were significantly less. Another added advantage is that by continually touring with the same corps (Mandarins, SCV, Devs, Cascades, Marauders, VK etc etc) we gained a bond with the other west coast corps out on big tour. As I said before... REGIONAL TOURING WORKS! Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

What IF...and I say IF IF IF...DCI in its entirety took ONE summer off. This would be for all organizations, no matter the financial situations, to regain financial stability and possibly even grow financially. If DCI is dying like some people are saying, would this be a solution to the problem? And if it is a solution to the problem, wouldn't you rather see DCI take a year off than collapse? I realize that it'll take a while for DCI to "collapse" (or maybe not :blink:), but do we not agree that going this route may cost corps just like Teal and Racine to do the same thing? Would this idea hurt DCI more than help?

Also, I only think it would be fair if they let the ageouts march the year after.

I for one would hate to see a year without drum corps, and so would the majority of DCI fans. This is just a wild and radical suggestion to bring up. I realize that I may receive many reds. :shutup:

I think doing this would be the beginning of the end of drum corps. When a corps folds or takes a summer off due to financial issues, it's not because of DCI's financial issues. There is no significant correlation between DCI's books and any given corps books. But, I was wrong that one time....

Well, being in a California corps, we didn't have the luxury of only being 8 hours from home. That said, we didn't tour as vastly as corps do now. We either had a North, Mid or Southern tour. But with having stayed on the west coast (either down to SoCal or up to the Pacific Northwest)for a significant part of the tour, our tour fees were significantly lower (in today's money) as the corps' spends were significantly less. Another added advantage is that by continually touring with the same corps (Mandarins, SCV, Devs, Cascades, Marauders, VK etc etc) we gained a bond with the other west coast corps out on big tour. As I said before... REGIONAL TOURING WORKS! Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

What could happen is the revival of some lost corps or a spur of growth of new corps. I dont see the logic of trucking BAC or Phantom or Cavies or whomever all the way to california. In The west shows could be confined to CA, AZ, OR, WA, NV, UT, CO. MIdwest would be obvious and the East would also include AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, TN. It can work, I am certain it can work.