DCI Minnesota Recap Roundup

The members even called the show "Variations on Mary Had A Little Lamb".

So what; that does not indicate the very wonderful musical moments created through the quality of that show. Even Chic Corea knows that wonderful music can be written in the name of appealing to children. Here ya go: The Album Chic Corea: Children's Songs.

Edited by Stu

Regardless of what music you play, Nessum Dorma or Jngle Bells or Maleguena, GE music is all about effective arranging, logical and artistic impact points, the coupling of great drill, and performers that can learn it and master the demands. What the cadets are doing with their Christmas music is brilliant in most areas. That Jingle Bells arrangement is excellent and well played.

This doesn't need to be a pissing war about what is better music. I'm not a huge fan of BD's music choices, but that doesn't mean they are not arranged in a brilliant way as it pertains to their show. GE is blind when it comes to your own personal biases in terms of music or visual. It has more to do with the effect those areas have on the show, with a little bit of that having to do with the effect on the audience as a whole.

• Like 2

Quick Question for you: Which has better or greater musical impact (i.e. GE): Wynton Marsalis playing trumpet on a version of Jingle Bells with his ensemble, or Chris Martin playing trumpet on version of Nessun Dorma with the Chicago Symphony?

I think it depends entirely on what you mean by musical impact.

If you're talking about emotional draw, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that would disagree that that's easier to do with a piece like Nessun Dorma. I personally have been stuck on Pavarotti videos of the piece for the last 3 weeks. That's not to say that you can't get emotional content out of Jingle Bells, but you'll find it a little more difficult to make people cry with that melody.

If we're talking about virtuosity, I think there's absolutely an advantage to Nessun Dorma simply based on the harmonic and melodic content in the original composition. Again, not to say that a good arranger can't get virtuosity out of jingle bells, just that the original of Nessun Dorma lends itself to virtuosity more easily than Jingle Bells.

But what about groove and danceability? Obvious advantage jingle bells. Again, just look at Wynton playing it with Lincoln Center.

Different pieces are written for different kinds of effect. Good arrangers can get good effect out of a wide range of source material. I know which I prefer, but that doesn't mean that I can't respect what the arrangers/performers are doing with shows that I am less inclined to like.

That being said, personal preferences aside, I like what Phantom is doing with Nessun Dorma more than I like what the Cadets are doing with their various Christmas arrangements. I think the show is a little better put together, and the performers are playing it better (in my opinion). We'll see how that all shakes out by the end of the year.

NICE job by SCV Percussion.

Percussion sure is an interesting category. It's pretty much carrying the Cavaliers right now (tied for 4th with Crown). And it's also helping to keep Crown and Regiment from being where they probably should be (ahead of BD and Cadets)

I really don't understand Cadets scoring higher than Regiment in Music GE. Something about "Jingle Bells is better than Nessun Dorma(played by a very good Phantom Regiment)" just doesn't make any sort of sense to me.

Amen to all of the above.

Jingle bells batman smells robin laid an egg. Ok hoppy we get it. You are religious. Keep it to yourself.

Keeping your religion to yourself is one of the worst things you can do. That's one of the biggest problems with society today. If you're not sharing your religion, you're not really living a "religious" life. And no, I'm not saying you should "shove it down their throats". Nobody likes that. It should show in the way you treat others and how you behave. That's a HARD thing to do, especially when we all have our own internal desires. I'm using generic terms here because I know religion is supposed to be banned here. Just responding to the above. :ph34r:

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 3

I think it depends entirely on what you mean by musical impact.

If you're talking about emotional draw, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that would disagree that that's easier to do with a piece like Nessun Dorma. I personally have been stuck on Pavarotti videos of the piece for the last 3 weeks. That's not to say that you can't get emotional content out of Jingle Bells, but you'll find it a little more difficult to make people cry with that melody.

If we're talking about virtuosity, I think there's absolutely an advantage to Nessun Dorma simply based on the harmonic and melodic content in the original composition. Again, not to say that a good arranger can't get virtuosity out of jingle bells, just that the original of Nessun Dorma lends itself to virtuosity more easily than Jingle Bells.

But what about groove and danceability? Obvious advantage jingle bells. Again, just look at Wynton playing it with Lincoln Center.

Different pieces are written for different kinds of effect. Good arrangers can get good effect out of a wide range of source material. I know which I prefer, but that doesn't mean that I can't respect what the arrangers/performers are doing with shows that I am less inclined to like.

That being said, personal preferences aside, I like what Phantom is doing with Nessun Dorma more than I like what the Cadets are doing with their various Christmas arrangements. I think the show is a little better put together, and the performers are playing it better (in my opinion). We'll see how that all shakes out by the end of the year.

What you are describing is the inherent subjective difficulty judges have in evaluating symphonic (Regiment) vs. Traditional/Folk (Cadets) vs. Jazz vs. Rock, etc... And theoretically that evaluation should not be effected by what personal style is liked or disliked by the judge; but since all of this is subjective, there is no real way to avoid the judge's personal "taste". It therefore takes a very special person as a judge who can set aside their own personal likes/dislikes to evaluate if this group playing Folk (which is a musical style judge personally dislikes) is performing better than this other group playing Symphonic (which is a style the judge personally likes). Example: As much as I disliked the 2005 Cadets show concept, I have no problems with them taking the title that year based on their performance.

Keeping your religion to yourself is one of the worst things you can do. That's one of the biggest problems with society today. If you're not sharing your religion, you're not really living a "religious" life. And no, I'm not saying you should "shove it down their throats". Nobody likes that. It should show in the way you treat others and how you behave. That's a HARD thing to do, especially when we all have our own internal desires. I'm using generic terms here because I know religion is supposed to be banned here. Just responding to the above. :ph34r:

Cardman: Good for you!!!! I find it funny that many who "preach" openness and tolerance want to squelch the freedom others have to even mention anything religious.

• Like 1