2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

Pioneer tried to the collection agency route. For the amount of money most of these kids owe, you only get back pennies on the dollar. Unless you take some satisfaction in knowing that the collection agency is harassing these members from 8am until 9pm... it's probably not worth it. The better measure is to be proactive and make the members pay up front or on a set schedule. If they don't pay, rescind their contract offer and move on. That's the direction we headed this year and we actually have 20 more members than last year.

that's a good thing, and yes, you probably wouldn't get much back.

So when these kids are seen marching another corps the following year after not paying - why not report them to DCI and make them enforce the rule? I would think that with smartphones and all the other technology available that it would be easy to provide the documentation to DCI to enforce this. Right then, on the spot.

What is the penalty or is there one?

So when these kids are seen marching another corps the following year after not paying - why not report them to DCI and make them enforce the rule? I would think that with smartphones and all the other technology available that it would be easy to provide the documentation to DCI to enforce this. Right then, on the spot.

What is the penalty or is there one?

ive been told its a director to director issue...theres so many excuses people make its exhausting..Ive seen some good hearted directors ( manybe needed to be less caring) totally walk from this activity after years saying ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE.......sad

ive been told its a director to director issue...theres so many excuses people make its exhausting..Ive seen some good hearted directors ( manybe needed to be less caring) totally walk from this activity after years saying ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE.......sad

Really? :blink:

I was under the impression that it was a DCI enforced rule.

What's the point of having a rule when there's no teeth in it to make it enforceable?

What's the point of having a rule when there's no teeth in it to make it enforceable?

good question................now cross over to DCA..WGI..HS circuits , if you think many drum corps have gone down for this reason look there..Great National recognized groups..finalists, medalists...gone in the past several years....all the same reason.....sad

This is tragic in many ways and there isnt ONE person in the equation whose heart wasnt in the right place and who didn't in some way try to "do the right thing' or "save the day".

Really? Those parents/kids who didn't fork up the money were trying to do the right thing for the corps?

• Like 1

I thought that it was because of the bus company. I really feel sorry for the kid that forked over the money. I wonder how many other corps floats their members without paying. If there are checks and balances, why would this not be apparent? I have helped members is the past with their tuitions, it would make me mad if I knew that I scrapped money to help someone while others just don’t pay.

I thought that it was because of the bus company.

It couldn't have helped. I'm sure that they figured they could limp their way to Finals, but the bus problems were probably just the Final nail in the coffin. Too bad, they will be missed.

I know some corps have offered flexible payment plans. Sometimes to set up a payment plan to pay things back after the season. That was offered to me. Pay some now, some after the season. But not all corps can afford that. Corps like Teal, and Raiders need the money when they say it's due. How payments work is different from corps to corps. I know Crossmen offered, or still offer an early bird discount if you pay in full I think sometime before May? And there are plenty of ways to raise money. The kids just have to get off their ##### and work a couple of hours, and contact people.

I talked to numerous business owners, professors, family members, friends, alumni were the biggest help. And it doesn't have to just be from your corps. Ask your band director if they know any drum corps alumni who would be willing to help. There are just so many options to raise the money. You just have to get out there and fundraise for yourself! You'd be surprised how many nice people there actually are. You will get a lot of no's.. but you gotta keep trying.

And corps' admin need to stop being push overs. Have a backbone. You are running a business.

Definitely not a written rule. Just a spoken rule.