2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

Definitely not a written rule. Just a spoken rule.

Some of the time, it's a corps written rule. I know where I marched, there was a clause in the contract that if you owed any other corps money, you would not be allowed in until you had payed them. And the director and admins would check and make sure you didn't owe anyone else money.

Payment schedules usually seem to work the best. If you pay early, I think most corps give a discount of something. But if you don't pay on the schedule, you get some kind of cushion zone, and then you lose your spot. It works, and keeps kids honest. And if you can't make the schedule, you can work something out with the staff so that you can march and pay when you can.

Some of the time, it's a corps written rule. I know where I marched, there was a clause in the contract that if you owed any other corps money, you would not be allowed in until you had payed them. And the director and admins would check and make sure you didn't owe anyone else money.

Payment schedules usually seem to work the best. If you pay early, I think most corps give a discount of something. But if you don't pay on the schedule, you get some kind of cushion zone, and then you lose your spot. It works, and keeps kids honest. And if you can't make the schedule, you can work something out with the staff so that you can march and pay when you can.

I will bet your last line And if you can't make the schedule, you can work something out with the staff so that you can march and pay when you can......is exactly what put them in this position.....its what happens most of the time

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I know some corps have offered flexible payment plans. Sometimes to set up a payment plan to pay things back after the season. That was offered to me. Pay some now, some after the season. But not all corps can afford that. Corps like Teal, and Raiders need the money when they say it's due. How payments work is different from corps to corps. I know Crossmen offered, or still offer an early bird discount if you pay in full I think sometime before May? And there are plenty of ways to raise money. The kids just have to get off their ##### and work a couple of hours, and contact people.

I talked to numerous business owners, professors, family members, friends, alumni were the biggest help. And it doesn't have to just be from your corps. Ask your band director if they know any drum corps alumni who would be willing to help. There are just so many options to raise the money. You just have to get out there and fundraise for yourself! You'd be surprised how many nice people there actually are. You will get a lot of no's.. but you gotta keep trying.

And corps' admin need to stop being push overs. Have a backbone. You are running a business.

no corps can afford PLAY NOW PAY LATER...thats just crazy...where can you ever pay for any activity and pay later....you may have been one of the honest but thats asking for trouble

I totally agree with you that there are many options for these members to raise the money..Ive see many do it...unfortunately then there are the ones ( many ) who feel entitled, want a free ride, think they are doing you a favor and have every excuse in the world........lazy....you are totally right though if you want it bad enough you can do it....funny though many of the non payers of small corps do it for other corps they join.... :ph34r:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I know some corps have offered flexible payment plans. Sometimes to set up a payment plan to pay things back after the season. That was offered to me. Pay some now, some after the season. But not all corps can afford that. Corps like Teal, and Raiders need the money when they say it's due. How payments work is different from corps to corps. I know Crossmen offered, or still offer an early bird discount if you pay in full I think sometime before May? And there are plenty of ways to raise money. The kids just have to get off their ##### and work a couple of hours, and contact people.

I talked to numerous business owners, professors, family members, friends, alumni were the biggest help. And it doesn't have to just be from your corps. Ask your band director if they know any drum corps alumni who would be willing to help. There are just so many options to raise the money. You just have to get out there and fundraise for yourself! You'd be surprised how many nice people there actually are. You will get a lot of no's.. but you gotta keep trying.

And corps' admin need to stop being push overs. Have a backbone. You are running a business.

From the official announcement by The Raiders

The Raiders are going on tour!

• Like 1

Thunder is it in Florida.

Because drum corps in Florida has become something of a sad joke. It seems every time a corps comes up from Florida, something happens to get them off the field. Teal Sound, Suncoast Sound, Tarheel Sun, Magic of Orlando, all competed and did well, but had poor management and financial issues run them into the ground. And when Magic, Tarhell, and Teal went down, they went down in flames in a pretty significant way. Tales of managerial abuses, embezzlement, mistreatment of kids, kids not being fed, all lead to a distrust of drum corps starting in Florida. It seems that it always starts with good intentions, and falls in a big way.

I think as of now, Tampa Bay Thunder is the only corps left in Florida, or are they taking the year off?

Anyone else remember a couple of years back when an Open Class corps was supposed to be forming in Miami? I don't think that went anywhere either.

Teal Sound, while they have had some great performers and great staff, was living on borrowed time from the moment they re-organized. My child was a member of Teal and I was involved in more ways than one. Everyone had good intentions, yet when expert advice was offered (regarding management) back in 2007, it was ignored. They never took the time to become well-entrenched neighbor in Jacksonville and put down roots into local resources and organizations. It doesn't work to rely upon a few contributors with deep pockets to bale things out. In many ways, this did them no favors. Having acheived a good "read" we left and went elsewhere.

I do wish Teal well and would love to see them recover and resume their place in DCI. They have provided some great drum corps!

Jason

What expert advice was that Jason????

while doing some non-invasive research about the director, I came across a link to the following article from this past fall:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/148936-teal-sound-announces-changes/

somehow I missed this the first time around, but wow ... foreshadowing much?

I also missed this announcement last fall. Yeah I was surprised that apparently Teal stuck with their choice there. Weird.

My point is, it sounds like Teal was happy to have their membership numbers, but was afraid to push their nonpaying members away. Im pretty sure that BD, Cavies, Phantom, Cadets, etc... hold their members to their financial commitment. But then again, they can be more selective because their membership pool is alot bigger then someone like Teal.

Good luck to them in their future endeaavors and I hope to see them on a football field sooner rather then later.

Exactly this.