Mission Drums Show Tonight!

I think it has more to do with the state of drumcorps in upstate NY. Remember just a short time ago (2 or so years) you had Cru, Brigs traveling back and forth each weekend in NY competing with Empire, White Sabres etc. Now with those 2 corps gone its harder to fill out a competition in upstate NY and its just too expensive for Empire to pick up and travel 8 hours each weekend to compete with the other competitiors.Its no secret that NY bingo games are in the toilet these days so Empire is doing the best they can do under terrible circumstances.My guess is David is being fiscally responsible even though it may hurt him competitively and my hat is tipped to David for that. This "game" is not getting any easier on OR off the field.

Jay

As usual - Jaybo is right on...

nothing beats rehearsals on the day of a show and then the experience and thrill of the competition... this is what makes for success... With all but one show in upstate NY (next week's Hornell show) wiped out due to an inability to provide a reasonable group of corps to attract an audience, empire has done the best they can to ensure that their membership has a good time and is as prepared as possible for what shows they do have. This has included weekend rehearsals/performances at Darien Lake Theme Park - but knowing what it takes to be crisp and clean in performance - you just can't substitute that for contests... the stage was set and they were VERY dissatisfied with their performance last night.

BUT... as the season drags on, watch for this detriment to become less of a problem and things to tighten up... don't ever count Empire out - their record for the last 25 years is sufficient to keep any other corps from underestimating them...

• Like 2

As usual - Jaybo is right on...

nothing beats rehearsals on the day of a show and then the experience and thrill of the competition... this is what makes for success... With all but one show in upstate NY (next week's Hornell show) wiped out due to an inability to provide a reasonable group of corps to attract an audience, empire has done the best they can to ensure that their membership has a good time and is as prepared as possible for what shows they do have. This has included weekend rehearsals/performances at Darien Lake Theme Park - but knowing what it takes to be crisp and clean in performance - you just can't substitute that for contests... the stage was set and they were VERY dissatisfied with their performance last night.

BUT... as the season drags on, watch for this detriment to become less of a problem and things to tighten up... don't ever count Empire out - their record for the last 25 years is sufficient to keep any other corps from underestimating them...

Two voices of reason as usual!! Congrats to Cabs as it is evident they are working extremely hard.

Mission Drums was a great show, held at the new and improved Manning Bowl, excuse me, Manning Field. The only major glitch couldn't be avoided: concert side now faces the setting sun which was very bright on this perfect summer evening--so bright it was almost impossible to see Windsor Regiment and difficult to see the Sunrisers (a bit ironic the setting sun blocked out "Sunrisers").

The evening did belong to the Cabs as far as competition is concerned. They are a long time Boston favorite and the crowd not only loved the show, but stayed in full force for the encore. Hurricanes likewise played to a stadium filled with longtime fans. They weaved mostly British pop music with English classical, Gilbert and Sullivan, and English patriotic tunes. The show included "I Am The Very Model of a Modern Major General" from Pirates. I enjoyed this and have wondered why more corps, junior and senior don't attempt Gilbert and Sullivan. It's musically challenging, there could be great solos, and it could be fun if performed by the right corps. Of course it would be deadly and expose all kinds of weaknesses if performed by the wrong corps. Empire Statesmen was a crowd pleaser as well, and their drum major, dressed like a card shark which would be appropriate for its Las Vegas theme. Overall it had peaks and valleys, more peaks, but still a few rough spots.

This was a well attended Mission Drums, due in no small part to the finale of the evening-an exhibition by the Bridgemen Alumni who were joined by the Defenders alumni and the 27th Lancers alumni who paid tribute to 27th with "Danny Boy." The Bridgemen alums still have it, as we were treated to Bridgemen favorites such as "Thunder and Blazes," "William Tell" and their Civil War medley. The crowd went wild when "Danny Boy" was performed. Drum corps lost a great deal when 27th and Bridgemen stopped competing, but for those of us who followed drum corps when these two corps competed, who would have ever imagined that such heated rivals with such different styles would take the field together?

I don't attend DCA shows that often, or at least not as often as I do DCI shows. However, when I do I always have a great time. The corps are serious but don't take things too seriously. There is a camaraderie among competitors, and the corps are increasingly becoming "all age." The younger members add a certain style, seen especially in the pits, and the more seasoned members pass on drum corps traditions. It's a great blend of old and new school.

• Like 4

A great night for drumcorps, great crowd, great weather,nice stadium (looks a lot different than when I was last there for the 72 world Open). The only drawback was the group warming up close to the stadium louder at times than the corps on the field, not cool

The show included "I Am The Very Model of a Modern Major General" from Pirates. I enjoyed this and have wondered why more corps, junior and senior don't attempt Gilbert and Sullivan. It's musically challenging, there could be great solos, and it could be fun if performed by the right corps.

I've always wanted to do a G&S show with a band or corps. I conducted a production of "HMS Pinafore" years ago, and I loved it.

I think it has more to do with the state of drumcorps in upstate NY. Remember just a short time ago (2 or so years) you had Cru, Brigs traveling back and forth each weekend in NY competing with Empire, White Sabres etc. Now with those 2 corps gone its harder to fill out a competition in upstate NY and its just too expensive for Empire to pick up and travel 8 hours each weekend to compete with the other competitiors.Its no secret that NY bingo games are in the toilet these days so Empire is doing the best they can do under terrible circumstances.My guess is David is being fiscally responsible even though it may hurt him competitively and my hat is tipped to David for that. This "game" is not getting any easier on OR off the field.

Jay

I think your making a good point in regards to the lack of competition for Empire given their geographic location. At the same time however, I don't believe the only reason Cabs jumped is because Empire had one less show in between the last time these guys met. As it's been mentioned, Empire knows how to get the job done. Their staff has certainly proven they can put together a quality program and the performance schedule hasn't seemed to be much of an anchor these last two years as this corps placed in the top 3.

Isn't it entirely possible that maybe, for the first time in almost 5 years, things are being shaken up in the ranks? Empire is a great program. Cabs and Hurcs have a great program too. Maybe the Cabs are just tired of placing 5th every year and have been working hard to change that. From what I've seen out of their program... I think they might even surprise MBI if they keep working hard.

Edited to add: I wasn't at the show in Lynn but a good friend of mine was. When I was talking to her she mentioned that when Cabs did their victory concert, many of the people from Empire sat in the back stand to watch. If that is true, that is a perfect example of CLASS and respect. I applaud them for this. thumbup.gif

Edited by androidx2
  • Like 2

@Androidx2 What Empire did during our encore was without a doubt 100% classy! :smile:

• Like 3

@Androidx2 What Empire did during our encore was without a doubt 100% classy! :smile:

I totally agree with you Jop.. Very Classy act.. Thanks Empire..

• Like 3

I totally agree with you Jop.. Very Classy act.. Thanks Empire..

And I think what Dave Bruni did on retreat was even classier!

You ARE the man, Dave!!! :worthy:

• Like 2