Using JUDGES from a NEW SOURCE for 2013

I have been watching Drum Corps for the past 40 years. We have had an excellent array of judges, who "some" of them have been judging excellence for 20,25,30 years. They are experts in the field of excellence, marching band design.

I am wondering if we should open the judging to the Entertainment Business.

I notice people like: Sharon Osbourne, and others, evaluating TRUE ENTERTAINMENT. They are not evaluating, technique of step, quality of design of certain guard techniques, but TRUE ENTERTAINMENT.

The winners that they usually pick, go on and make $$$, and become more popular to a bigger audience.

I wonder if DRUM CORPS should ever try this route????

I AM SURE that the corps who have the strongest staffs, and know the tricks of the trade (inside and out) would be put more on a level that ALL DRUM CORPS could be competitive....

thoughts???

• Like 1

I have been watching Drum Corps for the past 40 years. We have had an excellent array of judges, who "some" of them have been judging excellence for 20,25,30 years. They are experts in the field of excellence, marching band design.

I notice people like: Sharon Osbourne, and others, evaluating TRUE ENTERTAINMENT. They are not evaluating, technique of step, quality of design of certain guard techniques, but TRUE ENTERTAINMENT.

The winners that they usually pick, go on and make $$$, and become more popular to a bigger audience.

I AM SURE that the corps who have the strongest staffs, and know the tricks of the trade (inside and out) would be put more on a level that ALL DRUM CORPS could be competitive....

thoughts???

sadly there have been people in entertainment involved in one way or another even WGI did some master classes with pros in the dance field..most just felt its marching band, some ssid these kids need a real dance class ( she was watching WC top level of WGI ) I see what youre saying though BUT DCI would also never have the millions these people get to sit and critique

thoughts???

Yes. Take a pro from the entertainment field and put them in the booth at Finals with the other DCI judges. On Finals nite they get 2.5 points in the General Effect caption in their field of expertise. Nobody knows who the pro is until Finals Night, nor what field the pro is from in any given year ( could be Dance, Drums, Brass, etc ). This'll shake things up and make Finals a bit more exciting, imo. 2.5 points in a caption is not all that much, but it could make a difference in a close race for the title and between Corps within a competitive grouping below.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Absolutely not. Those people are not qualified to judge any of the crap they judge "Americas Got Talent", why should we have them judging this activity?

Besides... "Regular" people are the reason everyone thinks "A&T Marching Band" from the Movie "Drumline" is the better than DCI corps.

• Like 5

No. Some of the best musicians on shows like aGT, Idol etc get voted off because it's about smoke and mirrors ( excluding BD 10 lol) than actual talent and entertainment

• Like 2

This works until the "pro" judge/s picks against the fan favorite. And then everybody will be calling for change again.

After all, what is entertaining is completely opinion. One person loves Blue Devils' show and can't stand Carolina Crown's. The next person is the reverse. When you let a "non-expert" effect the results in this way heads will roll in every direction...especially when Phantom Regiment is involved! :devil:

Speaking of judges, I would actually like to see a breakdown of when and where they all marched. I think it would give an interesting view of DCI adjudication.

• Like 3