• Blue Devils
  2. 2. Concerning this pole.

• I threw one baby
    • I threw multiple babies
    • I didn't throw any babies
    • I don't care
    • This poll and/or term is offensive
    • Other

The poll is in reverse order of the ending placements from San Antonio. You can vote for all 22 corps if you wish, zero corps, one etc.

If you could actually throw a baby during or after a corps performance, would you? Would you throw it during a big hit? At the end? Drum solo? You many have shown up with 22 high school kids, you might have triplets, or you can throw the same one over and over if you wish. Maybe you even throw one at your computer screen on Fan Network, or the movie screen at a theater show. No rules.

As an aside, when did the term "Make them throw babies." come into the corps vernacular? I remember hearing it in the late 80s, from our caption head. I was like WTF? But now I get it.

• Like 1

icon_4.gif

the guy who made this....

• Like 8

The term "throwing babies" was around when I first started marching in 1983. I don't know how it got started. I hope we can keep chasing it down!

Maybe it's time for DCI to market a "DCI baby doll" for people to throw. They could dress them in different corps onesies and whichever ones you purchased would benefit those specific corps. Collect them all and get some kind of award, perhaps!

• Like 3

A brief search finds: In India, they throw (drop) babies from a mosque in hopes of "good health" and "good luck." Another reference is why people "throw" babies at politicians, for them to hold/kiss - for "good luck." Then you have the old German phrase, "Throw the baby out with the bath water," which relates to inadvertently getting rid of something "good" (baby) with something bad (dirty water.)

The term "throwing babies" was around when I first started marching in 1983. I don't know how it got started. I hope we can keep chasing it down!

Maybe it's time for DCI to market a "DCI baby doll" for people to throw. They could dress them in different corps onesies and whichever ones you purchased would benefit those specific corps. Collect them all and get some kind of award, perhaps!

I actually love this idea. Reminds me a little of the paper rolls thrown after Phantom performances

looks like my two picks are popular....

Don't forget Gramps...the majority is always wrong! :tongue:

• Like 1

"Throwing Babies" The act of freeing up one's hands to be able to clap them together at a drum corps show.