Forte ends season early

It is possible to apply for a three-month extension to file the Form 990, which is automatically granted, and then to apply for an additional three-month extension after that, which is often granted.

But you have to ask for the original extension before the original deadline, of course.

So sad.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1344536550[/url]' post='3198718']

My father fills that form out for the museum we operate. Has done it every year since the 90's. Whoever is the corps's accountant should not have that much of a problem with it.

I was a member of Forte this year and we never had a accountant that I was aware of.

I was a member of Forte this year and we never had a accountant that I was aware of.

Typically, there is a treasurer or secretary for most any organization that the job should have fallen under.

• Like 1

I am actually sickened that because someone forgot to fill out a form that has been completed annually, this corps will no longer exist. SMH

I think it is important to note that this is not a matter of OYAA missing or forgetting to fill out one annual form:

According to the Texas Secretary of State, Overture Youth Advocacy Through The Arts (OYAA) filed as a Domestic Nonprofit Corporation on Friday, December 11, 2009 in the state of Texas.

However they only became a 501©(3) according to the IRS on November 1, 2010. That is when contributions to the corps would have become legally tax deductible according to the IRS. This was also after they had marched their entire first season.

That date is important because November 1, 2010 is also when they became accountable to the IRS for filing a financial statement at the end of each fiscal year.

-- At the time OYAA was founded, a 501©(3) was required by law to maintain proper records and file annual tax returns. (Before 2008, an exempt organization could skip filing a tax return if it earned less than $25,000 in gross income during their yearly fiscal period.)

-- As part of being granted 501©(3) status, OYAA declared (to the IRS) their fiscal year/accounting period to be December to December. Therefore, the first 990 form for OYAA would have been due by May 15th of 2011.

-- No Form 990 has ever been filed with the IRS since OYAA came into existence. (The IRS makes Non-profit and 501©(3) financial data available through multiple sources on the internet.)

-- The "automatic shutdown" rule for violators was enacted after OYAA recieved 501©(3) status. But the financial reporting requirement was in place all along (since those rules went into affect in 2008).

ALSO IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Some of this might have been confusion among those on the Forte Board over whether Forte was actually under the MYPAA umbrella. MYPAA is The Memphis Youth Performing Arts Association - and still the parent organization of the now innactive Memphis Sound Drum & Bugle Corps.

It was initially announced after the 2009 season that Memphis Sound was moving to Grand Prairie TX. Later it was also announced they were changing their name to Forte but still functioning under the MYPAA - which WAS a 501©(3) non-profit, youth-serving organization. You can find multiple occurences on the internet where absolutely Forte and it's related ensembles were being identified as under the MYPAA umbrella - based at an address in Grand Prairie TX.

But MYPAA never actually moved from Memphis.

Edited by bradrick
  • Like 1

and your point is.....

I think it is important to note that this is not a matter of OYAA missing or forgetting to fill out one annual form:

According to the Texas Secretary of State, Overture Youth Advocacy Through The Arts (OYAA) filed as a Domestic Nonprofit Corporation on Friday, December 11, 2009 in the state of Texas.

However they only became a 501©(3) according to the IRS on November 1, 2010. That is when contributions to the corps would have become legally tax deductible according to the IRS. This was also after they had marched their entire first season.

That date is important because November 1, 2010 is also when they became accountable to the IRS for filing a financial statement at the end of each fiscal year.

-- At the time OYAA was founded, a 501©(3) was required by law to maintain proper records and file annual tax returns. (Before 2008, an exempt organization could skip filing a tax return if it earned less than $25,000 in gross income during their yearly fiscal period.)

-- As part of being granted 501©(3) status, OYAA declared (to the IRS) their fiscal year/accounting period to be December to December. Therefore, the first 990 form for OYAA would have been due by May 15th of 2011.

-- No Form 990 has ever been filed with the IRS since OYAA came into existence. (The IRS makes Non-profit and 501©(3) financial data available through multiple sources on the internet.)

-- The "automatic shutdown" rule for violators was enacted after OYAA recieved 501©(3) status. But the financial reporting requirement was in place all along (since those rules went into affect in 2008).

ALSO IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Some of this might have been confusion among those on the Forte Board over whether Forte was actually under the MYPAA umbrella. MYPAA is The Memphis Youth Performing Arts Association - and still the parent organization of the now innactive Memphis Sound Drum & Bugle Corps.

It was initially announced after the 2009 season that Memphis Sound was moving to Grand Prairie TX. Later it was also announced they were changing their name to Forte but still functioning under the MYPAA - which WAS a 501©(3) non-profit, youth-serving organization. You can find multiple occurences on the internet where absolutely Forte and it's related ensembles were being identified as under the MYPAA umbrella - based at an address in Grand Prairie TX.

But MYPAA never actually moved from Memphis.

• Like 2

There is also a one time forgiveness where you fill the forms out BEFORE 12-29-2012 and pay a $100 reinstatement fee. I had the information here as I actually just went through a revocation on another 501c3 organization. But it still has to be 3 years of not filing. 11-1-2012 would mean 11-1-2013.

But it is sad that Forte has ended. They had bright things that could have happened for them. That truly was an AMAZING group of kids, hardworking and dedicated! I hope their light continues to burn bright for the activity!

• Like 1

There is also a one time forgiveness where you fill the forms out BEFORE 12-29-2012 and pay a $100 reinstatement fee. I had the information here as I actually just went through a revocation on another 501c3 organization. But it still has to be 3 years of not filing. 11-1-2012 would mean 11-1-2013.

But it is sad that Forte has ended. They had bright things that could have happened for them. That truly was an AMAZING group of kids, hardworking and dedicated! I hope their light continues to burn bright for the activity!

Are you Larry McCrobie? As in "the" Larry McCrobie?

• Like 3

Not the current administration but Forte's original corps director had been deeply involved with at least 2 if not 3 DCA corps that have folded/gone inactive. I am not at all surprised this happened. I never understood why DCI approved his association with a corps considering his prior failures. I guess all they could see was another corps in the lineup.

This is NOT meant to reflect poorly in any way on the current administration of Forte.

Thats a pretty bold statatement..

And since when is Carolina gold failing?

• Like 2