Forte ends season early

This is a reasonable comment. The corps calendar shows the Forte kickoff on July 19 and a push out of town on July 24th to Edmund, OK. DCI prelims would have been Monday the 6th so the scheduled tour was the 2 week variety. It doesnt seem like that big a deal, but when the keys turn on those busses and the clock starts running on food, insurance and housing...it just aint cheap.

I remember "tour" in DII one year being (1) home show (already home), (2) Kitchener, Ontario, 147 miles then home, (3) Toronto, Ontario, 80 miles then home, (4) Rome,NY 80 miles, then home, (5/6) Boston (prelims/finals), 339 miles then home, (7) DCI Canada, 113 miles then home, (8) Allentown (DCI East), 341 miles then home, (9/10) Marion (US Open prelims/finals), 307 miles then (11) DCI with Madison being the farthest point from home all season at 748 miles.

It was an 11 show, all weekend slate. Overnights happened here or there...We had 70 kids...saw all the big corps THREE TIMES (which was cool if you were 14, trust me) , had a good enough product to make World Open and US Open Finals and all for the bargain price of $200 (which is $392 in today's dollars according to my inflation calculator).

And the corps did it again the following year...and the year after that....and the year after that....

One season, we ended it at Marion...US Open was our "nationals" and we skipped dci in Atlanta. Too far. Too much. We went as a corps to Cedar Point instead. Everyone was so disappointed in that decision that the corps marched 90 kids the next year.

NO...it wasnt a big-tour-championship-level corps. It was DII community based, plenty of kids getting their feet wet in drum corps, drum corps. Just what it was supposed to be. It wasnt great, but it didnt suck. It kinda looked like Forte.

Would kids come out for that today? It's obvious they would and will. DCA is like this...not a TON of shows....but ENOUGH shows...enough that Tampa has 115 kids and Cadets2 has 110. Most are new people. Minnesota, Kilts and Renegades....the BIG expense is for just one weekend - DCA. And they all have 100. Empire, Hurcs, Bucs, Cabs....100 per. weekends only. good products. good shows (Kingston, Barnum, et al); championship contest at the end.

I wonder if Forte's tour was HALF as long, or just Thurs Aug 2-Monday of DCI week, if they might have been able to work it out. And if the members would have gone for that? I bet they would have...on both counts.

Sucks having this conversation.

If anything Forte was following the touring model that everyone seems to think will save drum corps.....a regional tour followed by a short tour towards championships......Forte was not on a full summer national tour.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

Actually just went to Raiders site, looks like they had a donor come through and they will be on tour.

All I'll say about Raiders is that it was just about as close as it could possibly have been

Things need to change in DCI, and I mean all the way from the top administration to the members, if things are to improve. Drum corps has just gotten too expensive. I don't think drum corps will ever disappear but we will see the number of corps decrease until the amount of spots available equals the amount of kids willing to pay for these spots. It's simple economics.

A few years ago there was discussion in the TX DCA drum corps community about just doing a "Texas tour" with 3 or 4 shows. Yeah, we'd always see the same 2 or 3 other corps (with maybe a DCI open class corps. This was before Genesis and Forte were in the picture), but it would be performance experience, shows only on weekends, etc.

It was a good idea, kind of based on the old school small circuit concept (and I always think of the Garden State Circuit when this is mentioned). Then, I'm not really sure what happened. I think the concern was cost of bringing in judges and finding facilities that would host the shows cheaply enough that everyone wouldn't lose their shirt in the process?

Seriously, people are even having trouble getting enough people/groups together to do a Small-DCA circuit here. It's very confusing and a little heart-breaking.

This is a reasonable comment. The corps calendar shows the Forte kickoff on July 19 and a push out of town on July 24th to Edmund, OK. DCI prelims would have been Monday the 6th so the scheduled tour was the 2 week variety. It doesnt seem like that big a deal, but when the keys turn on those busses and the clock starts running on food, insurance and housing...it just aint cheap.

I remember "tour" in DII one year being (1) home show (already home), (2) Kitchener, Ontario, 147 miles then home, (3) Toronto, Ontario, 80 miles then home, (4) Rome,NY 80 miles, then home, (5/6) Boston (prelims/finals), 339 miles then home, (7) DCI Canada, 113 miles then home, (8) Allentown (DCI East), 341 miles then home, (9/10) Marion (US Open prelims/finals), 307 miles then (11) DCI with Madison being the farthest point from home all season at 748 miles.

It was an 11 show, all weekend slate. Overnights happened here or there...We had 70 kids...saw all the big corps THREE TIMES (which was cool if you were 14, trust me) , had a good enough product to make World Open and US Open Finals and all for the bargain price of $200 (which is $392 in today's dollars according to my inflation calculator).

And the corps did it again the following year...and the year after that....and the year after that....

One season, we ended it at Marion...US Open was our "nationals" and we skipped dci in Atlanta. Too far. Too much. We went as a corps to Cedar Point instead. Everyone was so disappointed in that decision that the corps marched 90 kids the next year.

NO...it wasnt a big-tour-championship-level corps. It was DII community based, plenty of kids getting their feet wet in drum corps, drum corps. Just what it was supposed to be. It wasnt great, but it didnt suck. It kinda looked like Forte.

Would kids come out for that today? It's obvious they would and will. DCA is like this...not a TON of shows....but ENOUGH shows...enough that Tampa has 115 kids and Cadets2 has 110. Most are new people. Minnesota, Kilts and Renegades....the BIG expense is for just one weekend - DCA. And they all have 100. Empire, Hurcs, Bucs, Cabs....100 per. weekends only. good products. good shows (Kingston, Barnum, et al); championship contest at the end.

I wonder if Forte's tour was HALF as long, or just Thurs Aug 2-Monday of DCI week, if they might have been able to work it out. And if the members would have gone for that? I bet they would have...on both counts.

Sucks having this conversation.

as the DCI and DCA cooperation continues, there might be an outlet for Jersey Surf, Spartans and Raiders in DCA / DCI cooperative shows. This is a HYPOTHESIS...but DCI is already on board with dca when it comes to the ticketing platform so let's take the next step.

Surf hosting a New Jersey show while paying a premium for Cadets and three other corps is a hit or miss proposition. Jersey hosting the Cabs, Hurcs, Bucs, Spartans, Cadets2, Raiders and Bridgemen Alumni is a WOW to begin with and has a near guaranteed gate, no other World Class corps required.

SO WHAT if its a DCA show. The Raiders arent going to be "harmed" in some way by getting an evaluation and tapes from dca judges. DCI isnt going to be "harmed" in some way if the Spartans compete or get evaluated in a dca show (btw they qualify as "all-age") instead of sitting the weekend out because the nearest dci show is 600 miles away. Tampa Bay Thunder didnt do anything but CONTRIBUTE to the DCI Orlando show...with a good performance, plenty of enthusiasm and 110 families driving from Tampa with a good reason to buy a ticket. Same with MBI at DCI Minnesota. That shouldnt be a one-way street.

If the All-Age corps are good enough to perform and buy tickets to your shows....how about a little on the comeback?

And YES...let them go head-to-head and see what shakes out. Where does Empire rate against Jersey Surf? Wouldnt it be fun to find out? We've done it the old way for a loooooong time. What are we afraid of that hasnt already come to pass?

A FRESH IDEA might just ignite a little fresh interest.

For my money, Jersey, Spartans and Raiders should be competing in Scranton/Wilkes Barre at the Parade of Champions (AL Nationals). Its a 2-hour drive and school hasnt started yet. Is it too late to add them to the all-age slate?

All I'll say about Raiders is that it was just about as close as it could possibly have been

Things need to change in DCI, and I mean all the way from the top administration to the members, if things are to improve. Drum corps has just gotten too expensive. I don't think drum corps will ever disappear but we will see the number of corps decrease until the amount of spots available equals the amount of kids willing to pay for these spots. It's simple economics.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

big question is..who is running these corps? granted to support a corps in todays world is un believeably hard. People think its so easy to do...even if a corps just stayed local or traveled the bare min. its still way more expensive than BITD...BUT even corps getting or asking for money on the road..isnt that just a band aid? How can you leave on any kind of tour on faith or if 4 grand of issues turned up and thats what ended the tour, well thats not much of a cushion to begin with. These corps had to leave knowing the slightest little thing could have sent the house of cards tumbling....It seems that the people incharge could have had all the heart in the world and I could be very sure of this BUT heart WILL NOT get a corps down the road. A corps needs a savy and even at times heartless business man or woman.

Yup...a great post. This is what killed so many corps back in the day as well. GREAT people with hearts as large as can be, but with little knowledge to manage an organization that is first and foremost a business.

It certainly got harder and harder starting in the 70's, with the gas crisis, huge inflation and decline in the traditional sponsor organizations.

Maybe Forte would have pushed on and tried to tour had Teal not folded in such a spectacular fashion. Maybe Teal's failure led other corps to re-assess just how prepared they were for their own tour committments?

That is a good point.

Crossmen, Genesis, Forte, Revolution, Vigilantes, Frontier, Gulf Coast.

Hmmm. A little cooperation in hindsight....

Let's look forward with the same idea.

A few years ago there was discussion in the TX DCA drum corps community about just doing a "Texas tour" with 3 or 4 shows. Yeah, we'd always see the same 2 or 3 other corps (with maybe a DCI open class corps. This was before Genesis and Forte were in the picture), but it would be performance experience, shows only on weekends, etc.

It was a good idea, kind of based on the old school small circuit concept (and I always think of the Garden State Circuit when this is mentioned). Then, I'm not really sure what happened. I think the concern was cost of bringing in judges and finding facilities that would host the shows cheaply enough that everyone wouldn't lose their shirt in the process?

Seriously, people are even having trouble getting enough people/groups together to do a Small-DCA circuit here. It's very confusing and a little heart-breaking.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

All I know, is that as a single mom of 6 (my Forte member is the oldest), I trusted Forte to deliver the schedule that they planned. We all sacrificed to give her her dream. We live in Chattanooga, Tennessee, so *my* 16 year old *is* stranded in Texas. Non-refundable plane tickets useless. Her aunt and uncle had already bought tickets to see her in the Paw Paw, Michigan show. Instead, of performing on Sunday, she will be arriving in Chattanooga, brokenhearted, via Greyhound. I read all your posts. Maybe as a newbie mom I just don't understand. But THIS is the human side of Forte folding.

• Like 7

as the DCI and DCA cooperation continues, there might be an outlet for Jersey Surf, Spartans and Raiders in DCA / DCI cooperative shows. This is a HYPOTHESIS...but DCI is already on board with dca when it comes to the ticketing platform so let's take the next step.

Surf hosting a New Jersey show while paying a premium for Cadets and three other corps is a hit or miss proposition. Jersey hosting the Cabs, Hurcs, Bucs, Spartans, Cadets2, Raiders and Bridgemen Alumni is a WOW to begin with and has a near guaranteed gate, no other World Class corps required.

SO WHAT if its a DCA show. The Raiders arent going to be "harmed" in some way by getting an evaluation and tapes from dca judges. DCI isnt going to be "harmed" in some way if the Spartans compete or get evaluated in a dca show (btw they qualify as "all-age") instead of sitting the weekend out because the nearest dci show is 600 miles away. Tampa Bay Thunder didnt do anything but CONTRIBUTE to the DCI Orlando show...with a good performance, plenty of enthusiasm and 110 families driving from Tampa with a good reason to buy a ticket. Same with MBI at DCI Minnesota. That shouldnt be a one-way street.

If the All-Age corps are good enough to perform and buy tickets to your shows....how about a little on the comeback?

And YES...let them go head-to-head and see what shakes out. Where does Empire rate against Jersey Surf? Wouldnt it be fun to find out? We've done it the old way for a loooooong time. What are we afraid of that hasnt already come to pass?

A FRESH IDEA might just ignite a little fresh interest.

For my money, Jersey, Spartans and Raiders should be competing in Scranton/Wilkes Barre at the Parade of Champions (AL Nationals). Its a 2-hour drive and school hasnt started yet. Is it too late to add them to the all-age slate?

BTW - I would also add 7th Regiment to the mix. I was at the Orlando show (I started my family vacation in Orlando that day by landing at the airport, renting a car and dragging my family to the Citrus Bowl - good thing they liked the corps in the show) and Tampa Bay did do a nice job kicking off the show.

DCA will not allow a DCI corps to compete in their circuit. DCI and DCA does seem to work well in the Midwest and the West, not so much on the east coast.

Both Surf and Raiders have done exhibitions at several DCA shows each year. Both Surf and Raiders do The Bridgemen show. Until this year both did The Cabs show (in Wildwood and North Jersey).

This year only the Raiders did both Cabs show, along with the Bridgemen's show and Readings Downingtown show.

With no OC shows in the area and not being invited to many of the local WC shows (mainly because the host wants a WC schedule), The Raiders have to work hard to not only to fill their schedule they are also fiscally responsible with the shows they put on their schedule.

Don't know how DCI would take either Surf or Raiders hosting a non DCI show. Probably will get very upset.

As far as competing in Scranton, I believe both Surf and Raiders membership isn't totally local. I know Raiders release their kids when they get home from Finals. I would think Surf is in the same boat.

Maybe this could happen in the future, but I really doubt it.

All I know, is that as a single mom of 6 (my Forte member is the oldest), I trusted Forte to deliver the schedule that they planned. We all sacrificed to give her her dream. We live in Chattanooga, Tennessee, so *my* 16 year old *is* stranded in Texas. Non-refundable plane tickets useless. Her aunt and uncle had already bought tickets to see her in the Paw Paw, Michigan show. Instead, of performing on Sunday, she will be arriving in Chattanooga, brokenhearted, via Greyhound. I read all your posts. Maybe as a newbie mom I just don't understand. But THIS is the human side of Forte folding.

Just out of complete curiosity (and pardon me for venturing off course here), was there anything in particular that drew her towards Forte when Music City is practically in your backyard?