Forte ends season early

Wasn't Forte one of the corps that had to go through a review process again this year prior to being added to the schedule? What does this review involve? I would hope that the review committee is looking deep enough into the corps finances to see that after three shows they would run out of money. This is not a corps that is doing a full national tour.....regional performances followed by a short trip to Indianapolis.

No, Revolution had to go through a review process because of everything that went down with them at the end of the season.

A few years ago there was discussion in the TX DCA drum corps community about just doing a "Texas tour" with 3 or 4 shows. Yeah, we'd always see the same 2 or 3 other corps (with maybe a DCI open class corps. This was before Genesis and Forte were in the picture), but it would be performance experience, shows only on weekends, etc.

I think that would be a great idea in states with multiple corps, namely Texas and California. Cali kind of does a "state tour" with most of their Open Class corps, plus PC and Mandarins. And they get to thrown in a couple of DCA corps as well. It seems to work well to keep the tour small, and the corps financially sound. It also allows for some of the corps to only do a state tour instead of going to Finals, and they can even alternate years going to Finals and staying home. I think Texas could do very well with that, since they have Revolution, Crossmen, Gulf Coast Sound, Genesis, and Vigilantes. That could be good, plus maybe a couple of other corps thrown in ?

The problem with a Texas tour is why would the Crossmen stay in Texas and not see any of their competition until mid season.....makes no sense from a world class competitive standpoint.

Why does everything have to be about competition? When will people realize its killing the activity? How many more corps have to go under?

Pretty soon the activity will be down to 20 corps total, only 3000 available marching spots max. The activity is slowly boxing itself into to a ball of self-destruction. At this rate, Ill support year round school. The chances of younger kids (hs aged) marching are becoming less likely every year.

I hate to say it, but the old farts were right.

as you can see from my posts,,,I don't post many comments.. But when I do,,,,,oh wait that's a commercial..Anyways,,,,I have been following the loss of the DCI corps so far this year and I feel for these corps..I have a question as to where the gate proceeds go for all of these DCI contests??? Just recently I attended the show in Chambersburg Pa on the 8th of July..There seemed to be quite abit of fans who attened this show..I am assuming that maybe around 500 people there..At an everage cost of around 25-30 bucks a ticket,,that's close to 15 grand..And that's not counting the funds for the ad book...So lets put that figure say around 18 grand..The costs of various debts incured for this show and we might be back down to around the 12-15 grand again..Now,,,who gets what is left???Does this money go back to DCI or is this allotted to the corps in the show..years ago we used to compete for prize monies and helped pay some of the costs involved for traveling and such...Then as the years went,,it was like a guarantee type of money,,yet still helping defray some of the costs involved to attend such shows...So does anyone have a good expanation as to where these proceeds go to..

as you can see from my posts,,,I don't post many comments.. But when I do,,,,,oh wait that's a commercial..Anyways,,,,I have been following the loss of the DCI corps so far this year and I feel for these corps..I have a question as to where the gate proceeds go for all of these DCI contests??? Just recently I attended the show in Chambersburg Pa on the 8th of July..There seemed to be quite abit of fans who attened this show..I am assuming that maybe around 500 people there..At an everage cost of around 25-30 bucks a ticket,,that's close to 15 grand..And that's not counting the funds for the ad book...So lets put that figure say around 18 grand..The costs of various debts incured for this show and we might be back down to around the 12-15 grand again..Now,,,who gets what is left???Does this money go back to DCI or is this allotted to the corps in the show..years ago we used to compete for prize monies and helped pay some of the costs involved for traveling and such...Then as the years went,,it was like a guarantee type of money,,yet still helping defray some of the costs involved to attend such shows...So does anyone have a good expanation as to where these proceeds go to..

I can answer this...

The local show promoter gets a bill from DCI for the corps scheduled to be at that show. That fee is different per corps based on class and prior season finishes, and it's also variable depending on when your show is scheduled - the later in the season, the more expensive.

That bill is due and payable to DCI - BEFORE - the show starts, so the local producer has to be confident that his attendance pays, at least, that bill. If the show is rained out, too bad. The check's been mailed.

The more the local producer does to advertise the show the more expense is incurred, and those costs have to be figured in.

Also, corps need housing and facilities. Most schools charge for these services if they're available at all. For a 5-corps show and one night, I can see that bill alone being several thousands dollars.

At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if a show with 500 in attendance can possibly make money. It's all about how many BITS you can get for the lineup and date you're given.

Any profits above the DCI contract and expenses go to the show promoter, which is, typically, a local marching band booster organization but doesn't have to be.

Edited by garfield

what on Gods sweet earth is going on?

Blame DCI for killing off all of the smaller local regional circuits, thus making the activity too national & too expensive for most drum corps. In 10 years there may not be enough drum corps for finals. Were getting pretty close now. Think about that.

Instead of worrying about synths, amps, vocals, & the continuing ruination of drum corps, DCI better start taking action to change this activity fast.

• Like 1

The Chambersburg show was initially a DCA show for 2 years before DCI got its hands on it. I remember the Bushwackers were payed with a check from a local fast food franchisee. Im guessing since it is run by the same people now as it was then, They still get a hefty sponsorship from the same company as a charitable gift.

So my guess is this show is very profitable for the sponsor ( hs marching band?) since all the costs are offset by charitable donations. This one show may be a bad example to what you are asking.

Edited by HBD

No, Revolution had to go through a review process because of everything that went down with them at the end of the season.

Same reason Forte did BTW.

• Like 1