Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

cadets have done it and if I remember correctly it did hurt them competition wise..they did miss a good chunk of the season and was briefly on behind an announcer....was it worth it? have to ask those involved I suppose many would say yes some might say no......did it help drum corps...hmmmm i dont think so other than other drum corps people took notice

If it were 2020 .. we'll probably still be on the road to INDY. The smart thing to do would be to have several shows in the Chicago area, independent of the IOC and the games .... and do a ton of advertising. I'm sure it would get some play in the media .... and there are some hardcore fans around the would that would DIE to see a DCI show live. Win Win for all involved. I can never see this being an olympic event. Gymnastics and Diving have contrived judging systems as it is. Imagine trying to explain to the world the results ... heck we don't even get them most of the time and argue until we're blue in the faces ... and we UNDERSTAND drum corps. YA.

Okay, I wasn't sure. Didn't really seem to harm the Cadets much, didn't they end up in 3rd even with doing the Olympics? I was just looking at the schedule, and how it would align with shows.

in 1996 Cadets went on first at Allentown on August 2nd then left immediately after their performance to drive to Atlanta. Then they had rehearsal with Bill Irwin to work out the skit and their drill for that skit (which they probably had already learned). Then the performances so they were probably in Atlanta for at least 2 days. then they had to drive back to catch back up to the tour for their next show which was in Clifton, NJ on Auust 5th. finals was August 17th that season.

What if they just played the national anthem? One corps, or the top 12, or heck, maybe everybody! They wouldn't lose a whole lot of time learning drill or anything... Just have a "retreat". And push the stadium back a couple feet.

There are rules about what sports get into the Olympics. The sport has to have been played in X number of countries, each has to have its own national rules body, I think they have to agree to play by international rules. I play racquetball and it couldn't get in several years ago because there weren't enough countries that had RB courts, etc.

Now if it were marbles or bowling, it would be no problem, because who doesn't enjoy seeing world class athletes participate at the highest level of international competition? :rolleyes:

Back in the early 80's when I marched, we learned that they were going to make Drum Corps an Olympic Event... I guess "They" are still working on doing so...

In addition to the "number of participating countries" rule, the IOC also has limits on the number of athletes at the Olympics. I mean it's a lot for a host city to build an Olympic village as it is. Could you imagine having to house roughly 1,000 more people. I could see Winter Guard being more realistic than DCI/Marching Band. The rhythmic gymnastics routines are quite similar to something you'd see in WGI (they even use hula hoops). Most games are going to have multiple indoor venues that could probably accommodate a WGI experience and you don't have the numbers or equipment (instruments) involved with the shows. Plus, could you imagine the medal ceremony for drum corps? It would take FOREVER to pass all of those medals out. The podium would be HUGE!!!

I think another great debate would be if it was in the Olympics, how would you determine the US team? Choose the winning group from WGI (or another trial championship), or have a huge tryout for individuals to make the team?

George Washington had an apple shot off his head after it fell there after he discovered gravity.

...oh wait, i got that all mixed up..

The 27th Lancers did the Winter Olympics in 1980 in Lake Placid NY

The Cadets did the CLOSING ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996.

As for the OP...... I think America would win :tongue:

About the America would win comment I think it depends on category. In the world class drum corps category, yes, no doubt. In marching band, not so much. Japan's top marching bands would kick around many top BOA bands, at least musically. Visually it might be different as the BOA groups and others design drill much differently, along with guard inclusion.

cadets have done it and if I remember correctly it did hurt them competition wise.

It's tough to make the case that doing the Olympics hurt the Cadets in terms of competition. At their last show in Allentown before the Olympics

they lost to the Cavaliers. After the Olympics they didn't lose to the Cavies for the rest of season. In their first show after the Olympics they scored 2.5 points higher than their previous show and ended up only 0.5 behind the Blue Devils and Phantom at finals.

really dont remember , was so long ago...but do remember cadets struggling..guess its all relative...3rd is great to some not so great to others , especaiily if you could be 1.....lol

They were actually second place that year and when they performed, they mostly did a parade march and then parts of their regular show. So thus, my idea is a corps can simply do their regular show if they're going to perform in a venue like Olympics (as exhibition). But, they can also create an all star group (with members from all of the top 12 corps or from somewhere) and let them represent in the Olympics (this is just one idea) or as someone said, simply take the season off and do Olympics exclusively (another idea). By the way, 1996 was a crowded year at the top. It was the same year that Blue Devils and Phantom tied for first.

About the America would win comment I think it depends on category. In the world class drum corps category, yes, no doubt. In marching band, not so much. Japan's top marching bands would kick around many top BOA bands, at least musically. Visually it might be different as the BOA groups and others design drill much differently, along with guard inclusion.

I'd also say, they can add individual competition where individuals compete on each instrument. Now THAT, would be interesting to see.

• Like 1