I have REAL issues with the Blue Devils

thats what drum corps should be?..and why is that...drum corps should be variety. period....good doent always mean louder , faster..not that it cant be...cadets..last year

Yeah but too bad that isn't the case for Crown. They are executing the balls out of their show but just not as well as the Blue Devils. That is a fact. BUT should Crown really be executing as well? By the way if we want to do rifle comparisons the Blue Devils are doing a 2 and Crown is doing a 8 or 9. The difficulty spectrum is actually really broad between the two. You act like Crown is "dropping the rifle half the time" when they aren't. Crown should not be shafted for going for it (and being pretty #### successful) instead of playing it SAFE like the Devils.

• Like 3

BD doesn't offer variety. Not since 2007. It's the same junk every year. Good talent wasted. Sometimes less is more but in BD's case less means snore.

well as many would agree many wouldnt...theres plenty of variety ..and not a rycycled show which many others have done and just stuck a new theme name on it

• Like 2

Yeah but too bad that isn't the case for Crown. They are executing the balls out of their show but just not as well as the Blue Devils. That is a fact. BUT should Crown really be executing as well? By the way if we want to do rifle comparisons the Blue Devils are doing a 2 and Crown is doing a 8 or 9. The difficulty spectrum is actually really broad between the two. You act like Crown is "dropping the rifle half the time" when they aren't. Crown should not be shafted for going for it (and being pretty #### successful) instead of playing it SAFE like the Devils.

calm down partner....the rifle comparison had nothing to do with either corps it was an example..you obviously dont understand how judging works or maybe even being on a staff... YOU challenge a performer but to do stuff just for the sake of doing it is not smart by no means....oh and an individual chuckin a rifle just for height ,caught any which way isnt hard at all......you can love crown..go for it....hopefully they can win for many.....if not and its BD it will be because they were just plain better.....but its nice to know that 2 corps and I will include maybe 5 corps in this ...CAN be that different from each other and still succeed.....who wants to see 12 of the same.......but you are certainly entitled to your opinion and people loving different corps is really what its about, which the diversity and different likes or dislikes shows.............different from one to another is a great thing

Edited by GUARDLING

Of course its not mandatory. BUT it is (blind pass throughs) probably the most difficult maneuver you can do in this activity. You would think the first place show would have some WOW factor from completing difficult tasks. Too bad thats not the case.

Sure, if you want to be like everybody else. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

calm down partner....the rifle comparison had nothing to do with either corps it was an example..you obviously dont understand how judging works or maybe even being on a staff... YOU challenge a performer but to do stuff just for the sake of doing it is not smart by no means....oh and an individual chuckin a rifle just for height ,caught any which way isnt hard at all......you can love crown..go for it....hopefully they can win for many.....if not and its BD it will be because they were just plain better.....but its nice to know that 2 corps and I will include maybe 5 corps in this ...CAN be that different from each other and still succeed.....who wants to see 12 of the same

Obviously it was an example. I used it to show how difficult Crowns show was in comparison to BDs. I don't know how judging works? One of my friends/mentors was on the panel last night so I'd think having such a close relation with a judge would surely bring me the right knowledge to making educated opinions. The current system is flawed. By all technicality you could make a show doing figure 8 at 90bpm flawlessly and pull out a perfect visual score. I'd rather see a figure 8 show at 200bpm that isn't as perfect but is near as perfect.

I just hate what the Blue Devils are doing to drum corps. When I marched I remember losing soooo much weight because the show was so difficult. We were jazz running at 212 bpm playing runs. That's what drum corps should be. I appreciate anyone who could do that. I just feel like BD is being praised for being lazy and just calling it "innovative."

I HATE jazz running, and if you play runs while jazz running I hate it even that much more. But if you like that sort of thing, go find a drum corps that does that and applaud all you want. Just know that some of us don't really care about that. Some of us appreciate tempo changes, or tunes not everybody knows, or power corps, or finesse corps. We are all different.

That's why one person's opinion shouldn't be telling the rest of us what "drum corps should be."

Obviously it was an example. I used it to show how difficult Crowns show was in comparison to BDs. I don't know how judging works? One of my friends/mentors was on the panel last night so I'd think having such a close relation with a judge would surely bring me the right knowledge to making educated opinions. The current system is flawed. By all technicality you could make a show doing figure 8 at 90bpm flawlessly and pull out a perfect visual score. I'd rather see a figure 8 show at 200bpm that isn't as perfect but is near as perfect.

well thats fine and your opinion....maybe you need to judge then or change the rules to fit that do something HARDER...which is subjective and doesnt do it as well and win...yeah makes alot of sense......why doesnt the 13th place corps throw the kitchen sink out there and ATTEMPT and make finals rather than a corps who actually taught technique and being clean..yeah lots of sense there

I HATE jazz running, and if you play runs while jazz running I hate it even that much more. But if you like that sort of thing, go find a drum corps that does that and applaud all you want. Just know that some of us don't really care about that. Some of us appreciate tempo changes, or tunes not everybody knows, or power corps, or finesse corps. We are all different.

That's why one person's opinion shouldn't be telling the rest of us what "drum corps should be."

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: drum corps should be all things and rewarded at the highest level of what one chooses to do...BUT whatever a corps chooses to do ..do it well or dont do it and expect reward for something not at its highest level of what THEY choose

Edited by GUARDLING

That's why it's an opinion.